Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kahun (el-Lahun) sling: A Novel Approach (Read 24593 times)
Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Re: Kahun (el-Lahun) sling: A Novel Approach
Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:49pm

Teg wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:42pm:
@ Timothy Potter: I know what tablet weaving is, but I have no experience with it. I was actually looking for tablet weaving when I stumbled over warp twining. This could be a good method for later on but for the moment I will continue "by hand" as I have no tablets.

Not having tablets is not a valid excuse : you can make some from playing card... or even your box of cereals. If you doubt your tablet strengh, you can always try adding some tape but it may grip your fibers.

Look here for more info on the basics.

I don't think it would be very practical for making a full pouch with increases. My tablet woven sling has a split pouch, waaaay simpler to do that adding 2 cards of 4 strands in the middle of some tight weaving (you don't want to mess your nice borders, do you ? )

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:52pm

I think one of the newer members posted a sling recently in which they had used tablet weaving, I think with a little 'post-processing'.

Years ago Willeke suggested using it, and a German (I think!) member made one - and hated it.

I used to do a lot of card-weaving, but I don't think it brings anything that is not already there in the warp twining techniques except speed. If you want to write your name into the fabric, that's a different matter. The cards tend to impose constraints that I would want to break in order to make a sling.

Just another closely related technique(!) - ply-split braiding Grin

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:42pm

Teg I have an idea. knot the weft to each other to finish the sides of the pouch. I will try tonight, and post pics if everything goes well.
Maybe this is how they made the king-tut, not woven.
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Wanderer :
I made this one Wink

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:00pm

Thats not truely a Kahun sling Smiley
There is not seperate warp and weft!
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:08pm

Caldou wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
Wanderer :
I made this one Wink

Thank you Caldou. That is the one Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:25am

Caldou wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
Wanderer :
I made this one Wink

Caldou, please do not take me seriously, I was just screwing around... I have been alternating between studying and slinging.org for the past 8 hours, since I finished my Squirrel-mail tutorial
-Squirrel

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #22 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:22pm

So, it's time to give you an update on my work on recreating the "el-Lahun sling" from Manchester museum with warp twining.
I have recreated a sling which looks very similar to the original one. A photo of it is appended to this post.
There are still some details which I could not work out, but I reached a point where I either need to have additional high resolution photos of certain areas or to get a personal impression to make any progress without too much speculation.

What I have done since my last post:

- I developed a technique to add and remove strings in a more controlled manner. The added and removed strings are knotted inside of the work for stability.
- I developed a simple frame for easier handling of the strings during the manufacture.

Unclear points/speculation:
- The exact way in which the strings are added and knotted is pure speculation. It is also speculation that strings are added, as until now I have not yet seen the end of a string in the pouch. To get a better idea of this process I need five high resolution photos of the center part of the pouch (inside & outer side while increase of the width, inside and outside while decrease of the width, center of the pouch). Additional information could be gained from a side view of the pouch (Where are the ends of the strings?).
- How many strings are added in each step (thread counts in every row). I have not yet achieved the thread count of the original sling.
- Thickness of the used material. Do the weft and the warps have the same thickness?
- Thickness of the finished piece.
- Transition area. How is the pouch started and how is it finished? Therefore photos of this areas would also be a nice to have (4 pieces: each end front and back side).

I may be able to hop over to England this summer to make a direct comparison of my sling with the original one and to gather the needed informations. But until then I can't really continue my work.

If someone is so kind and wants to visit the Manchester museum for me to make some photos please contact me first by PM.
I may have some special and more detailed instructions for you Wink.

Please feel free to give your inputs / critics. They are most welcome.

Teg / Thomas Gartmann

Edited:
Picture of the original sling for comparison:  
http://egyptmanchester.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/sling_shot_103.jpg

L4_MMP_lr.JPG (358 KB | )
L4_MMP_lr.JPG

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:23pm

Photo of the frame and the used material before starting the twining.

L4_Rahmen_lr.JPG (470 KB | )
L4_Rahmen_lr.JPG

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #24 - May 27th, 2013 at 7:28pm

The center of the pouch. The twining is halfway done.

L4_mitte_lr.JPG (379 KB | )
L4_mitte_lr.JPG

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #25 - May 28th, 2013 at 4:56am

Teg, you are definitely on the right track there. I am pretty sure I can get you the pictures you need if you send me the instructions.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - May 28th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Teg...absolute spitzenklasse  Cool Shocked Shocked Smiley

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #27 - May 28th, 2013 at 10:03pm

Excellent work! I really like the frame you made; it looks like it would save a lot of time. Based on the photo of your sling, I'd say that yours is at least a viable theory, and if it happens not to be what was used on the original, it certainly makes a nice sling anyway. I think it would be interesting to see if your method could be used to make a copy of Tutankhamun's slings, and I'd like to see how it compares to the methods I've tried for those slings.

One interesting feature of the original that I think I can see is that  two thicknesses of material were used to weave the pouch. Using your method, the twined warps would be thin material and the counter-acting wefts would be thicker. If you tried it that way, perhaps you could get a more accurate comparison, especially if you are able to see the sling personally or get some specific pictures beforehand.

Keep up the good work, and please keep us posted on any developments.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #28 - May 29th, 2013 at 9:41am

Thank you all for the replies!

@ David Morningstar: Thank you very much! It's due to your uploads that I even got the idea to start with this work. I will write down the instructions send it to you together with a sketch of which parts I'm interested in. It may take a week or two, as I really don't want to forget anything. I will contact you when I have it.

@ Timothy Potter: The frame is really handy. It reduces the mess while working considerably. I also put numbers onto the bobbins. This way it's easier to avoid mistakes. Theoretically it is also possible to make it by hand without a frame like I did it in the beginning. But with so many strings that would require a skill level which I have not yet achieved.

For the Tutankhamun slings I would have to try it. Until now I have seen only one bad black & white picture of it and some blurred ones, so I can't really make a judgement. From the b&w picture I got the impression that the rows even at the beginnig form a very pronounced V. To copy this I would have to add way more strings in each step, which I have not yet tried.

About the thickness of warp and weft: That was also my impression, but I really wasn't sure. I'm glad that you "see" the same as I do.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #29 - May 29th, 2013 at 10:07pm

I am trying to draw in paint what I think this looks like... but weaving doesn't translate into 2D easily.
So sort of the weft becomes the warp, by crossing into the center?
Thats my understanding of this.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)