Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moved topic: chainmail sling materials and cost. (Read 4260 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Moved topic: chainmail sling materials and cost.
Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Wow. I have made slings from chainmaille, and its used for throwing sharp stuff. Anyway, i think it would be too heavy to use the denser weaves.  
Archane, Where did you learn the persian weave? I have never been able to get it.
Also, the projectiles tend to slip out of pouch. since you beat me to posting pics, do I still get craftsman If I take pics and post?
-Squirrel
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2013 at 1:28pm by LightSlinger »  

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: SUBMIT RANKING AND MERIT AWARD PETITIONS HERE
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 6:16pm

It holds the ammo very well. It all depends on which direction you run the weave. I tried it both ways and it isn't stable as a pouch if the growing direction runs across the width of the pouch..

I learned the full Persian weave from a guy who used to post excellent weave tutorials on the ringlord forums about ten years ago.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 7:20pm

Wow I feel like an idiot!
I thought Light made it cause he resized pics!!! Shocked
Anyway, Nice!
Ques- where do you get the wire?
I would like to get back to chain-maille but cannot due to limits on wire
-Squirrel
And I WILL post pics!!!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 7:49pm

That sling used about $45 worth of titanium wire. McMaster Carr sells it, the Ringlord sells wire, coils, and pre-made rings. Your best bet is probably the Ringlord.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:43pm

Ya. I am going to stick with my $2 steel wire, zinc plated. its quite cheap. and strong. I do this on a $0 budget. Maybe when I save up more money ill get some Titanium wire....
-squirrel
ALso I made a bunch of slings recently. I will have to post pics of them, I currently have a pic of my working slings (includes the slings I got in SITH)

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Moved topic: chainmail sling materials and cos
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:44pm

Why exactly is this a sticky? Is there some kind of challenge going on?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 8:27pm

Dan wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:44pm:

I have no idea. the thing disappeard from the origional thread.
-Squirrel

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:10am

I acquired an old chain mail butchers glove the other week! Still cutting out my template but will have pictures when I'm done!Cheesy I plan on braiding some thin paracord for the cords.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:35pm

Why cut up a nice chainmail butcher's glove? I am about to post a tutorial on chainmail slings for my sling crafters lvl 3 requirement!
-squirrel

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:05pm

Haha Squirrel,  I bought it used for two dollars for a sling pouch! It was too small for my hand anyway:)
and I wouldn't use it for home cooking.
I think it will make an excellent pouch that will cup a rock well an add some weight to my sling. I think that's a good thing

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:46pm

Tomas wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Haha Squirrel,  I bought it used for two dollars for a sling pouch! It was too small for my hand anyway:)
and I wouldn't use it for home cooking.
I think it will make an excellent pouch that will cup a rock well an add some weight to my sling. I think that's a good thing

Oh. I though you bought it new!
-Squirrel

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 7:41am

Dan wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:44pm:

I think what happened here is that this thread was originally sticky on the Slinging Sport Board when I relocated it here.  When It got here, it was still sticky apparently.  I didn't realize it would do that.   I guess I don't fully understand my Demi-Mod powers yet, LOL.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Sasquatchslinger

"Riding through this world
all alone."

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 8:34am

Sweet I personally make chain maille and will have to try this out!

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,& Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,& Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,& One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne & In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.& One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,& One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.&&In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.” J.R.R. Tolkien

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)