Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preferred Method of Applying Wax to a Sling? (Read 2191 times)
Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Preferred Method of Applying Wax to a Sling?
Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:51am

When I was adding wax to a sling earlier, it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure there's better methods than the one I use.
I take a chunk of beeswax and rub it on the sling. After there's quite a bit of white residue sticking to the cords/pouch, I press the wax down into the fibers with my fingertips, and make quick passes over the gas burner to melt the wax anrd allow it to penetrate the fibers better.

So what's you're preferred method of applying wax to a sling?
Do you do it the way I do it? Do you melt wax in a jar and dip the sling's in? Do you wax the cords prior to braiding? etc.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Preferred Method of Applying Wax to a Sling?
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 7:11am

It's funny that you come up with this as I was doing a quick search on this topic just 3 days before Wink.
I read that many do it the way you make it. Further techniques used are:
- to make a mixture of oil and wax, which is like a cream
- to melt the wax and paint it on with a brush
- to soak the sling with wax and melt the excess out in the oven

I myself wasn't satisfied with rubbing it on and melting it in as the fibers I was working with were very soft and therefore I damaged the braid.
I personally wouldn't soak the sling as we want to protect the surface and not the inner parts. Further you need much more wax this way.
I came up with the following solution: I make very thin wax discs and coat the sling with it. Then I get a water boiler and heat up water. If you close the lid of it you have a single stream of hot vapour. Now you put the coated sling into the vapour and melt the wax discs on the sling. As the vapour provides the heat really fast the wax will also melt very fast. If you hold the sling diagonally while melting all the excess wax will flow away towards the "unmelted area" and only a very thin layer will stay on the sling. Any excess wax you can either just let drip of (and salvage it) or take away with a piece of kitchen paper or an old rug / piece of cloth.

The picture below shows the transition between melted and unmelted area. The wax discs are so thin that you can see through (and this is already more wax than we need).

Beewax.JPG (63 KB | )
Beewax.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Preferred Method of Applying Wax to a Sling?
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:03am

My slings are either hemp or jute with round cords. I rub wax on and rub wax in with a piece of leather. I ruined a jute pouch by painting it with melted wax Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)