Bowfishing (Read 4474 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Bowfishing
Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:33pm

I made a very short light bow for bowfishing. arrows about 8 inch long copper points... ERC bow. about 30 inch, cable back.
horrid looking.
wil post pics tomm. Want to know If I need to fletch the arrows, very short range- under 5 yards. I am a little short on fletch right now.
Thanks,
Squirrel
Here is the pic of the arrow, smallest pouint, one barb.
Second one is a spearfishing foreshaft for my spear.
Thanks!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Bowfishing
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:33pm

Sorry its small!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:52pm

Are you saying that you have eight inch arrows? I love bow fishing and favor long arrows, at least six inches longer than what I would normally use. If you're using a retrieval line and short distances the fletching may not make a huge difference but even if you're short on fletching material, duct tape could make a short term substitute. If your arrows are really short, and I may be misunderstanding what you said, your distance will be longer and fletching will probably be necessary. I also favor composite arrows, like fiberglass because I think the heavy weight helps in the penetration into the water to hit your target. If your retrieval line doesn't follow directly behind your arrow, I would think that you definately need fletching.

Bowfishing is the only time I almost used a compound bow. With the distances and heavy arrows I noticed more arrow drop with my 50lb+ recurve.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:04am

There was an article in Primitive Archer sometime last year or the year before called "Bowfishing 1492" which discussed some pretty primitive methods of spiking or bow fishin.

Short bows, but full length arrows, no fletching. That's all I recall now.

The Back issues are like $7 and the article title was on the front page so I'd recomend buying that one.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:25am

hm.. Illtry long arrows.
THanks for advice

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:31am

Way back when I had that composite recurve I mentioned in the other post, I took it bowfishing once.

Bought one of those cheap line-holders, and some commercial fishing arrows.  They were the fiberglass jobs, with the barbed head and rubber fletching.
Worked pretty well...
I went down to the Black River where I knew there was a backwater full of carp.  Spent an afternoon seriously annoying these fish...    They are not where they appear to be, of course, and by the time I figured out where to hold it was getting late and I had to quit.
Shortly thereafter broke my shoulder...

Anyway, there are some videos up on youtube of people shooting the pesky Asian "jumping carp"... Looks like a blast as you can actually shoot them as they jump.
Now there's much better equipment available...   Nice reels and line-holders, better arrows, better points.

You don't really need fletching, as distances are short and the trailing line tends to keep the arrow straight.
However, arrows need to be heavy to penetrate water well.
For a while, years ago, they were selling a steel arrow.  Two sections of stainless rod stock welded at the back for a nock and at the front for the head. 
The line was threaded through the front part of the arrow and on firing just slid back to the rear naturally.

I can't see that they're being made any more....

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:49am

I doubt they are. but what about small-diam steel tubing? Hard to get, yes, hard to work, yes..
I am thinking I am gonna make some oak arrows... still gonna make them short. its a real pain to haul 36 inch logs 3 miles on bike... even worse in snow.
I have some 16-18 inch logs of oak in garage, well seasoned, very heavy, dense wood for arrows. I tried to make some by for-shafting the arrows for a long enough... didn't work, soooooo heavy.
I will try this.. but my bow is about 30 inches long, pulls about 20 pounds, and is for catching blue-gills and small catfish, etc in a creek-river thing. I am very short on fletch.. what type of line should I use for it?
also, are my mini copper points good enough? they are actually the barbs I use on my fishing spear-harpoon thingee.
THanks!
Squirrel

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:17pm

Good luck kid. If you have second hand stores around you may be able to find fiberglass tubing salvaged from old tents. Light and strong enough for a 20lb pull short bow. I recently bouoght graphite practice arrows for $2 a piece. I only have a couple fishing arrows anyway and they're not very expensive.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 12:59pm

Hm... Man, If there is anything I hate, its being short on money/supplies!
that or having to take a test without studying!
Anyway, I have some of those old rods... but I do not like making bows out of them.
I prefer a small ceder-cable bow.
Its cheap...... and natural.
I made some very heavy BL bolts for a crossbow... short and fat.
Maybe Ill use them for fishing!
THanks,
Squirrel
(I have no idea what I would do without slinging.org forums....)

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:34pm

Topic added to the Primitive Weapon's index!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:10pm

I just bought my fishing license so I could take this sport up.  I'll probably outfit myself with a commercial recurve bowfishing rig, as I've heard bowfishing can be kind of hard on bows (gunk and grime and all that) and I don't want my target bows getting smudged.  I can't wait till carp spawning season.  I know some great shoreline overlooks where you can get a good vantage on little creek-fed coves.  I've heard that's the best place to get carp in April or so.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:32pm

hehheheehh I made a 2 pound steel arrow.... Port Ox main shaft, steel alloy fore, cold-forged barbed point. letting it cool from grinding, will finsh and post pics by the end of the week.
I LOVE cold-forging now that i realized it is actually quite doable, minus the fact that the piece work-hardens, and eventually is impossible to work. I can make arrows, spears, etc.
even a sword is possible with LOTSA work.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:07am

Some of the southeastern US tribes simply carried a short, fairly heavy draw bow and 5 or 6 cane arrows.  The arrows were about the length of the shooter and straightened with heat.  The tip was hardened in the fire after it was straightened.  They would wade or walk the bank and pin the fish to the bottom of the creek with the arrow.  They carried extra arrows for when the tip got dull or they hit a rock.  That sounds right up your alley, 'Slinger.

It also sounds like it was definately invented by a married guy, outside, shooting a bow, getting wet and muddy, and if he comes home with some fish, he wasn't really avoiding real work, he was fishing!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 4:17pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:07am:
Some of the southeastern US tribes simply carried a short, fairly heavy draw bow and 5 or 6 cane arrows.  The arrows were about the length of the shooter and straightened with heat.  The tip was hardened in the fire after it was straightened.  They would wade or walk the bank and pin the fish to the bottom of the creek with the arrow.  They carried extra arrows for when the tip got dull or they hit a rock.  That sounds right up your alley, 'Slinger.

It also sounds like it was definitely invented by a married guy, outside, shooting a bow, getting wet and muddy, and if he comes home with some fish, he wasn't really avoiding real work, he was fishing!  

Bill, no offense, but you sound like you have experience with that.......
Question- has anyone here used honeysuckle for an arrow-shaft?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:15pm

I have made "shoot" shafts, which are arrow shafts made from young hardwood trees or shoots.  Huckelberry, sparkelberry and blueberry are all in the same family and make good shafts.  Sourwood and Maple work well, also.  So does Youpon Holly and Chinese Privet, that's the stuff usually grown into hedges, but any hardwood shoot will usually work. 

Cut them longer than the arrow you plan on building, too thick is OK, too thin is not.  If it is too thin, you won't be able to cut a nock.  Leave the bark on, straighten them by hand every evening, get them as straight as you can, then tie them in a bundle until the next night.  After about a week or so, they won't need re straightening very much, so let them sit for two or three days between sessions for another week or so.  Then, scrape the bark, sand, straighten and seal. You can use wax, oil or paint to do this, if wax or oil, then use some heat to make it penetrate the wood.  Leave the area where you are going to put your fletches clean, otherwise, the glue may not stick to the wood.  The large end is going to be the point.  You can speed up drying by holding the shoots over a fire, putting them in the attic, in a hot car, or over a heating vent.  If you dry them too fast, they will check or split.  The ends will split slightly anyway, that's why you cut them longer than your finished arrow.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)