Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DAN / Sling Crafter 4 Petition (Read 7636 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: SUBMIT RANKING AND MERIT AWARD PETITIONS HERE
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:52pm

Teg wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:50pm:
Dan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 12:00pm:
That quote from that you have from light slinger was last edited 10 minutes before he said the raw material "survival sling" was an acceptable sling. So I didn't think I that I had missed the point.

No, this post I quoted was written ten minutes before.

For the last modified see the bottom left of the original post which says:
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2013, 1:24am by LightSlinger »
This is 7 days later.
But I'm not LightSlinger and therefore I don't know on what he answered  Wink.
So, and now I will stay quiet as this is no discussion thread but a promotion thread. Smiley

Ah, sorry, you're right. I was just going by the quote date. Its kinda splitting hairs anyway, it seems like we are doing some edits right now regardless. I still respect your opinion, things just seem a little opaque so, as a community, we need to work out the kinks. No problem, its just the way prototypes work.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:31pm

Oooooo.  Controversy!  I'm a little glad that this came up on the "first" petition so that things may be fixed.  I suspect that based on this issue alone that this wont be the only merit achievement that is found to be wonky. 
    Thanks so much everybody for all the input so far.  A bit later when I have some more time, I'll address some of the responses made.  Until then I'd like to continue this poll in order to gather as many opinions as possible...

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 8:15pm

As far as I'm concerned, Dan definitely met all of the requirements. So went ahead and gave him a yes.

However the raw Balearic sling (and maaaaaybe the Tut one) was the only one that actually had the pizazz to justify the difficulty requirements necessary for the "Master" rank guidelines.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 9:18am

Upon further consideration, I think unless a 5th level is made. I'd prefer to be a 3. I did make a sling from raw materials but I know my sling making still has plenty of room for improvement, and I'd like something to aim for in the future.

I just skimmed the various threads and found that I had met the requirements of 4 but I hadn't considered the weight of the title 'sling making master', of which I am certainatly not.

So even if the Poll determines 4, if there is not a 5th level, I will pull my submission and just go for 3 for the above reasons.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:46am

Brett wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:38am:
Have to vote yes.   The guidelines do not seem to say "create a museum quality set of slings".  My reading of the guidelines suggests that these slings more than meet them.

Uh... I kind of like that requirement..  LOL

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #20 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:00pm

Dan wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 9:18am:
Upon further consideration, I think unless a 5th level is made. I'd prefer to be a 3. I did make a sling from raw materials but I know my sling making still has plenty of room for improvement, and I'd like something to aim for in the future.

I just skimmed the various threads and found that I had met the requirements of 4 but I hadn't considered the weight of the title 'sling making master', of which I am certainatly not.

So even if the Poll determines 4, if there is not a 5th level, I will pull my submission and just go for 3 for the above reasons.

Dan, I want to publicly commend you on your attitude and humility on this issue.  It fully and completely represents the level of Honesty and Dedication to the Art that I would like to see in ALL slingers within our culture.  You are truly setting the example for all future Artists.

Even though this Poll will remain open for another day and I won't be able to announce it officially, I think I can safely say that we will be awarding you with Sling Crafter 4.  Reason being is this;  I think I agree with C_A on this one and that this particular achievement requires a fifth level.  According to the current poll, most of the Artists that have voted believe that your final sling has met the stated requirements within the Rule Set, but maybe is not representative of what it means to be a "Master".  After further consideration, I agree. 

There will be a Sling Crafter 5...

Again, Dan, thank you so much for your willingness to participate in this new and tender process, and your most awesome attitude.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #21 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 12:39pm

Since there will be a fifth level, I just voted yes. This sling is not an absolute master piece but it still correspond to the letter of the text Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2013 at 4:53pm by Caldou »  

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 2:03pm

I also voted YES for pretty much the same reason as Caldou.  Dan did meet the requirements for 4 and now that there will be a higher level for the Paleoarts, Jaegoors, Timothy Potters, etc.. among us I have no problem with Dan receiving that award.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
SUBMIT RANKING AND MERIT AWARD PETITIONS
Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:43pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: LightSlinger, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)