Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Knife (Read 593 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

New Knife
Jan 21st, 2013 at 2:57pm

I had the opportunity to spend a day with professional knifemaker Cliff Morris over Thanksgiving. It would have been longer, but my cheezeball job wouldn't let me have any time off. At any rate, he had the steel, all I had to do was show up with a design. The design I "came up with" is actually the "Hawk Recon" design from Tops Knives, which they've discontinued. I had the opportunity to hold one several years ago, and it was one of the few combat knives I've ever felt comfortable holding.

Cliff is a traditionalist. You do not mention the word "stainless" around him. It's a good way to get booted out of his shop. Incidentally, his shop is not heated, and has a concrete floor. My feet soaked up so much cold I was numb from the knees down by the end of the day, but it was entirely worth it.

This is the knife. Carbon steel blade (buffed to a blinding sheen per Cliff's orders) Brass pins and maple scales.

The "jimping" I did with a file after I got home. It's just to help give a better grip when I need to choke up on the blade.

I learned a lot. Never pass up on the opportunity to sit at the feet of a pro!

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)