Slinging Sport Logo (Read 17498 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging Sport Logo
Reply #15 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 1:37pm

here's a newly scanned and cleaned up image.

And Dan this is the stage of a sling throw I want for the guide cover Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 1:42pm

I'll try, but even thicker slings tend to get very thin on camera when in motion.  Smiley

We've still got some time. I'll take some more pics once it warms up for comparison.

I personally think the wind up looks better and you need incredibly clear video to try and capture the sling in motion, this was the best one I could find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KiObfGKOc&list=PL51B8CB4ED91BF1DE

Pause it at 1:10, That's what you'd be getting.

The black and white drawing guy makes it look so much more neat and organized than it really is.   Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 2:50am

Pretty good form for a slinger!  LOL. Grin

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 7:23am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 29th, 2013 at 1:37pm:
here's a newly scanned and cleaned up image.

And Dan this is the stage of a sling throw I want for the guide cover Thumbs Up

I'll have a go at making this into a logo as well maybe tomorrow

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 29th, 2013 at 12:32pm:
Also if you turn it upside down it's a smiling face whistle

It reminded me of a bacon and eggs smiley face on a plate when I was making it whistle

IP Logged

Greenman

Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:07pm

For myself, i tend to like more stylized logos. Like this. If we had a stylized logo/badge/emblem of the one C_A submitted, i would vote for it.

Untitled.bmp (939 KB | )
Untitled.bmp

Sweet is the music that brings out the Slings.&&The Sling. The finest guerilla weapon on Earth. (Fletch_man)&&We few, we happy few, we Hail of Slingers.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:45pm

pictures of slinging windups lack dynamism and just looks like someone holding a couple of sticks with a blob at the end. A picture of a slinger at the point of sling release or just after, shows the entire throw in  a snapshot.

It has implied motion that a picture of the windup lacks.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:14pm

Maybe your pictures of sling wind ups lack dynamism.  Wink

Jk, I can totoally understand where you are coming from. And if slinging looked like that drawing guy, buy all means I'd be all over the release shots.

However, its very difficult to photograph a sling in motion and the actual moment of release, while powerfull, tends to be less glorious looking than one might think.

None the less, when spring rolls around I'll get some more pics and a few of them will be at the release point.  Smiley

IP Logged

Cudol
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Alcoy (Spain)
Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:22pm

Sorry for the bad quality, i make it with the "paint".

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 8:30pm

Best I can do:

federation.png (59 KB | )
federation.png

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:57pm

Cudol. Nice. Simple icon.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #25 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 2:42am

I think we're starting to see some promise here.. 

Cudol:  I really like that Icon as well.  Would you mind us using it in the near future?

Camo-Sling:  Permission to use your submission? 

Also, I think we should address what we want this particular logo to represent.  Originally, the logo that I had designed was just going to represent the Sport Slinging & Ranking Aspect of the Board, much like Project Goliath.  But, do we want this to be Representative of the entire Organization? 

If so, it begs another question, and please, I hope no one takes offense here, but what should the Organization be called?  I mean, when I've spoken with people about this organization and community of Slingers that I belong to, it's bred a (small but) noticeable confusion in them when they ask what it's called and I tell them "Slinging.org".   Invariably their next question is, "Isn't that a website?"  It's not a huge thing, but it does seem to take some of the momentum out the conversation, and in my very humble opinion, is a little counter productive to establishing credibility for the Organization. 

I guess I think it would be cool to say, "I belong to a world-wide Organization called the 'International Slinging Federation'." (Or something of the like) 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 6:48am

make the figure larger and you've got something there.
Larger figure, move both the figure and the ISF up a little and that would give you plenty of room for the actual award designation.
Use a slightly different font for the award and it'd work quite well Thumbs Up

Cudol - while I like your idea and the drawing style, the figure looks exactly like someone throwing an olympic hammer one handed.

Quote:
Maybe your pictures of sling wind ups lack dynamism.  Wink 

Mine wouldn't because I'd us a slightly slower exposure setting indcating movement.
The problem is mainly in the body position. All your pics so far have been with all your weight on the back leg, so you just look like your standing still holding a long rigid pole type thing.

I've explained how to take the pictures. You set the camera to continuous shooting mode. Most half decent digital cameras will shoot at between 6-20 frames a second in continuous shooting mode. And then you just sling fairly slowly.
That should give you upwards of 10 shots of the throw in action. Do that  a few times and you'd have plenty of pictures to chose from.

Tryning to take just the one picture of athrow on a fast exposure never looks very good unless you manage to get the release point exactly right.

Another way would be to take a  HD video clip and just do a frame grab. That way you get between 24-30 frames a second - depending on camera.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:16am

I'm still going to try it, but in the past it hasn't been that glorious.  Smiley

Oddly enough the nicest camera (which is really nice) in the house doesn't the full auto setting but it does have the HD video and I know I guy who can take stills from those so I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2013 at 2:37pm by Dan »  

IP Logged

Cudol
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Alcoy (Spain)
Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:54am

Lightslinger: You can make whatever you want with the design, totally free!!  Grin

IP Logged

feldmac
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:42am

Hey, even though I'm new I thought I might weigh in if that's alright with everyone. I like the idea of coming together under an organization or club name. Though I think "International Slinging Federation" might be a bit grandiose unless it's for an organized competitive sport (which I'm all for, coming from a competitive shooting background, but I know not everyone would agree) - and maybe should be reserved for such a case.  Just my thought.

But I've attached a few roughs for iconography - inspired by the Olympic pictographs.  These wouldn't be suitable for an official organization logo, but might work for a sport icon.  Maybe (probably) I will work on an idea for a more official logo a little later.

Please keep in mind that I'm currently at work and only had five minutes to get these roughs out - so they are basic and rough  Smiley

Let me know what you think!  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, LightSlinger)