Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is your sling that have the best crack? (Read 6194 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: What is your sling that have the best crack?
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:09pm

There’s on old thread somewhere where someone made a sling with a metal core that, if I’m remembering correctly cracked like thunder.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:21pm

yeah matthias made it with lead cored fly fishing line.

He wouldn't make me one though Sad

My loudest sling is the one I bought from luis Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:42pm

I couldn’t find the original thread, but I found these two where he talks about it http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168712982/11#11

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1174689954/6#6

I’d also like to have one of em.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 4:13am

I made, fairly recently, a braided sling from my favourite sling material cotton office string. I usually do a simple 3 strand braid but for this I did a herringbone braid with more cords than I usually use and I tapered the release cord, seemingly, perfectly. It cracks like nothing else. From my experience wit that and the little I know about whips, I think the most important factors are weight (you need some heft behind it), the aerodynamics of the sling in flight (I think the herringbone braid makes for a smoother surface so it travels better) and then really nailing the tapering.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:43am

" ... really nailing the tapering."
Would ya, could ya show us a pic of this taper?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:58pm

The retention cord starts off at 1cm in width (it's a flat braid) at the end of the pouch.
After 10.5cm it drops a length to 9mm width.
11cm after that it drops another length to 8mm.
After 7cm it drops again to 7mm.
After 6.5cm it drops to 6mm.
After 7.5cm it drops the last cord and is 5mm to the tassle.

As you can tell, I wasn't really measuring anything as I made it, just eyeballed it and got lucky. I think I will have to untie the end and put a proper synthetic cracker because the cotton string just can't handle it. Lots of pretty floating cotton after every crack Cheesy For now it's really nice though does have a slight twist to it which I attribute to the cotton string and perhaps my less than stellar braiding.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 2:04pm

Thanks for the pic Ko  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 2:20pm

It's my braided hemp sling with a tapered release cord with lose fibers at the end and a woven-in closed pouch. It's quite a heavy sling.

2 days ago I was slinging good 150 gram rocks on average into a very wide channel during the evening and boy that thing gives me a nice crack.

On the opposite of the channel was a forest and the crack really echo'd through it.

There was a house on the opposite side of the channel, about 200 meters away, and their dogs started barking because of it. Eventually I saw someone getting out with a flashlight and he went into the opposite forest, I guess to find out what was causing the bangs.

The snap is really fun and satisfying, but can draw unwanted attention.

To get rid of the knots on the release cord of a tapered braided hemp sling, I simply use a drop of superglue on the places where I drop the strands. No more ugly knots needed, but don't use too much superglue.

My regular 1-cord thin paracord slings do not make the same satisfactory crack, it makes a woosh sound but it's generally a lot quieter. But the quetiest sling would be a braided natural fibre sling without loose fibers at the end, atleast in my experience. It doesn't make as bad a woosh sound as a single cord paracord sling does.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 11:04pm

You can put a leather release tab behind an overhand knot on the crackingest slings that I've made over the past few days and the sound becomes instantly muffled, and it is quickly reversible.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:39am

BetterTrees wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 11:04pm:
You can put a leather release tab behind an overhand knot on the crackingest slings that I've made over the past few days and the sound becomes instantly muffled, and it is quickly reversible.

That sounds like a good compromise. You don't need to carry two separate slings, you can just silence and unsilence it just like a gun. I'm thinking also maybe just folding the loose strands down and tying them with a small string of hemp

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:29am

This may be cheating, but I just finished creating a sling-whip hybrid. The sling portion is made of kevlar and four strands of steel cord and weighs 80 grams. the detachable fall and cracker add about a meter total to the sling, making it about three meters from retention loop to the end of the popper. The retention loop and first third of the retention cord are wound with para-cord making them very stiff. The sling can be held and cracked just like a whip or thrown with the popper wrapped around the release knot.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:55am

Oooo I would love to see some pictures of that. Also how is kevlar a a sling material?

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 3:56pm

Kevlar is an amazing sling material. It does not stretch, is incredibly durable and abrasion resistant, and after it gets dirty it looks just like natural material. The sling-whip hybrid is strong enough to hold 2,700 kg (6,000 lbs). I will work on getting up some pictures of it.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:10pm

Here is the sling-whip. You can see where the fall can be connected and disconnected from the sling Even without the fall and popper the sling still makes a mighty crack.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 4:12pm

And here the fall and popper are attached.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)