Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is your sling that have the best crack? (Read 6190 times)
Cudol
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Alcoy (Spain)
What is your sling that have the best crack?
Jan 20th, 2013 at 2:30pm

I want make one with a good crack but i don't know how... i know that the extreme of sling is very important ( the fine fibers end) but i think that the body also it. I think that the crack made me feel the best, more powerfull, i feel how one european girl with one 4x4 and i want more crack in some of my slings.

I would help me with a photos of your best cracking sling... i seeing the materials, how made it...

Thank you for help me to learn and sorry for my sad knowlege of english, if some phrases are wrong or aren't understanding, please, tell me without scary.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: What is your sling that have the best crack?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 2:41pm

Braid them so the pouch and close to the pouch is thicker,and it gets thin towards the ends (tapering) And of course leave some loose fibers after the release knot.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Ney
Tiro

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:13pm

I've been experimenting with cracking slings and I've come to a conclusion:

If you taper without the tassle, the sling will be easier to crack and the crack will be more sharp. I
f you add the tassle, the fibers will slow down the release cord so it'll be harder to crack them but if you do, it'll sound more like a "boom" rather than a "crack".

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:36pm

I've had the best experience with this type of release

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.phpserver=100&filename=imag0369fd.jp...
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg9/scaled.phpserver=9&filename=imag0371w.jpg&res...
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg21/scaled.phpserver=21&filename=imag0370q.jpg&r...

It's comfortable, lasts long, looks interesting (I also think it looks nice, but others might think it's tacky), and it's LOUD. I did a dry release in my garage once (read: closed room, concrete all around that makes the sound rebound). Sling and ideas are courtesy of Rockman (from an autumn sith I believe).

I believe I made a mini tutorial/series of pictures explaining how I did it to one of my slings, but I can't seem to find it  Undecided

here we go http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324592632/22#22

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Cudol
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Alcoy (Spain)
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 7:07pm

xxkid123 wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:36pm:
I've had the best experience with this type of release

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.phpserver=100&filename=imag0369fd.jp...
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg9/scaled.phpserver=9&filename=imag0371w.jpg&res...
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg21/scaled.phpserver=21&filename=imag0370q.jpg&r...

It's comfortable, lasts long, looks interesting (I also think it looks nice, but others might think it's tacky), and it's LOUD. I did a dry release in my garage once (read: closed room, concrete all around that makes the sound rebound). Sling and ideas are courtesy of Rockman (from an autumn sith I believe).

I believe I made a mini tutorial/series of pictures explaining how I did it to one of my slings, but I can't seem to find it  Undecided

here we go http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1324592632/22#22

Not is tacky for me, it's a beautiful sling!, maybe i would change other colors and i think that, the knot can remove dynamic of movement, maybe be better with sewing or knot with a fine thread but is a very good idea combine different materials and if is effective in the crack, much better.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 9:03pm

I find my best cracks from slings come for slings that I make on the heavier side (which really heavy for most slingers) with tapered release cords and pouches. If you make the pouch too big its likely to have a lot of air resisatance you have to find a balance. Split pouches generally have less surface area so they tend to get better snaps IME.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

bjorn
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Northwest
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:02pm

I make a sling that I call the Sicktor. I came up with this design in trying to get a friend of mine, nicknamed Sicktor, into slinging. He's a mason and handyman, so when I made a sling with his spirit in mind, I came up with a simple design of braided mason's line with a button-hole style split pouch (basically a Rockman) made of 4-layer gorilla tape. The Sicktor is a funny case for me, because I did not manage to get my friend, the namesake of the design, into slinging. I gave him my first proto, and he gave it to his 11-year old son. Hopefully the boy stayed out of trouble. But the Sicktor instantly became one of my favorite designs.
When I make a Sicktor I generally tie the release knot then I tie another knot an inch or 1 1/2" away from that, then I trim. I find if, when I trim, I leave an inch or more to turn to fluff this design has the loudest, most menacing release crack of any sling I've ever made. It just sounds flat-out diabolical. I ought to do a tutorial on this sling because, though it is very simple to make, I could flesh out the details, and anyone who made one of these Sicktors up would find that they had made not only one of the best throwing slings ever, but also one of the best "workhorse" slings. The combination of gorilla tape pouch and mason's line as the fiber makes for a sling that just will not wear out. I have even started finishing my jute slings with a mason's line tail (as in just the final 8-12" of the release end) to extend the life of the sling. But mason's line all the way is a wonderful sling.
I will often make a Sicktor and enjoy its loud badassery for a while, but then soon trim the fluff because the sound will become obnoxious to me.
So, all notes of the Sicktor design aside, generally a sling will be louder if there is a big fluffy tail of arguably any material. The loudness comes from the tail breaking the sound barrier upon release. So the bigger that tail, the louder the crack.

IP Logged

bjorn
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Northwest
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:03pm

Two of my Sicktor slings.

P1010008_001.JPG (672 KB | )
P1010008_001.JPG

IP Logged

bjorn
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Northwest
Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:06pm

Now just the slings. Long live Sicktor!

P1010010.JPG (660 KB | )
P1010010.JPG

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 7:55am

Oh Boy, where to start on this one?

There are several things that can contribute to a good whip crack.

1.    Tapering the release cords down enough so that the release is quicker.
2.    Using heavier ammunition (It pulls harder on the cords, therefore causing them to respond faster.)
3.    Practice and Skill
4.    Making a sling of the proper length. 
5.    Using a tassel (doesn't have to be big) at the end of a properly tapered Release cord.

A word on Tapering...  When I taper my release cords I always reduce them in size by at least 50 - 70% or so.  For example, If you start with 8 cords in a braid, then you should end with a maximum of 4 (I actually take them down to 3 personally.)  If the release cord is skinny, it will move very quickly and *CRACK!*.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 3:32pm

My best cracking sling is one I made like a nylon snake whip. There are some photos of it here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1271277973/0

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:16pm

It's not mine but Matthias seemed pretty enthousiastic with this one : the "signal-whip style sling" is making "a forest reverberating, neighbour police-phoning, altogether startling thunderclap of a *CRACK*..."

I made one based on this model, with polupropylen core and one layer of fine wool 4 strands braid, letting a polyp... tail and it did crack nicely... only not when I was field testing it ^^

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Cudol
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Alcoy (Spain)
Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:41pm

Caldou wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:16pm:
It's not mine but Matthias seemed pretty enthousiastic with this one : the "signal-whip style sling" is making "a forest reverberating, neighbour police-phoning, altogether startling thunderclap of a *CRACK*..."

I made one based on this model, with polupropylen core and one layer of fine wool 4 strands braid, letting a polyp... tail and it did crack nicely... only not when I was field testing it ^^

Mother of god...  Shocked

is impressive

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 7:18am

My best cracking slings are jute slings made in this manner:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1338672380/0#0
I find that the five strand pouch version gives me my best cracks.  I agree that a nice loud crack can make you feel more powerful and it's very impressive to those watching.  Make sure that you use fairly large stones.  Bigger projectiles make your sling crack much easier.

IP Logged

BetterTrees
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Central Arkansas
Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 2:03pm

This concept is exciting to me, if only because it is an aspect of slinging that could draw people in.

I browsed a few threads on this this morning and spent less than an hour whipping one up that I thought might crack okay.
This is not one that makes the "best cracks", but it's pretty solid and the cracks are sharp. It also functions really well as a whip.
Side note: I have been playing with a pouch design that I have not seen anywhere else yet. In my very limited testing, it works incredibly well and I think it may hold up better than my butterfly styled pouches... and I just haven't found the appeal of the split pouch yet. I'll keep trying though.

Edit: I'm also going to see if I can figure out how to embed images properly. This giant, sideways picture thing is terrible.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2018 at 4:41pm by BetterTrees »  

20180119_124853.jpg (4027 KB | 61 )
20180119_124853.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)