Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: Judgement Authority For Sling Crafter 4
*** This poll has now closed ***

Allow Ranking Moderator(s) to Judge    
  0 (0.0%)
Allow Slinging.Org To Judge    
  6 (85.7%)
Neither Of These (Please include alternative)    
  1 (14.3%)

Total votes: 7
« Created by: LightSlinger on: Jan 21st, 2013 at 1:09am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Judgement Authority for Sling Crafter 4 (Read 3910 times)
LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Judgement Authority for Sling Crafter 4
Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:09am

Okay, there was a suggestion in this thread here that the Sling Crafter 4 Requirments should not be based on the use of "All Natural Materials", but rather on the level of complexity, difficulty and (perhaps) Beauty of the Sling(s) submitted.

So, the Question is;  Should we allow the Ranking Moderator(s) to decide on whether a submitted sling meets these requirements and by default, change the requirements of Sling Crafter 4, or not?

Pros:  Using this method will take into consideration the complexity, difficulty and/or beauty of the crafted sling and more closely represent the skill, experience and dedication of the Artist.  It will also allow an artist to use any materials he/she chooses..

Cons:  This Method is relative and requires the ranking moderator(s) to excercise more subjectivity than would normally be required by the current method.

You will notice that there are 5 options to choose from.  Please choose only one of the actual questions.  The other 4 options are different aspects of the sling that you would like to be considered for each submission.  If you have other suggestions, please post them!

PLEASE NOTE:  This vote is for the "Sling Crafter level 4" requirements only and will not apply to any other requirements..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Judgement Authority for Sling Crafter 4
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:48am

I seriously think that it should have to do with the complexity and diffuculty of the sling.
As in a one-piece braided deer-hide sling.... The sling I recieved from you as part of the SITH is a perfect example- It was quite diffucult, I assume, and Time consuming.
Here is my main problem with the mod's-judge only- Lets say someone creates a VERY beautiful, simple, etruscan sling.
Simple 3 strand braid, but made from cotton yarns instead of mason line. It looks perfect,but is VERY simple.
Now lets say one of the Mods is a big fan of the etruscan sling.
they say its perfect.
Now lets say someone creates a impressivly complex net sling.
It looks not-great, but it slings like nothing else.
Lets say one of the mods dislikes net-slings, perhaps because something went wrong with one.
They might say its horrendous.
I know this is SOOOOO unlikly to happen, but it is possible.
Having more than 2 or 3 people judging would probably solve this.
Here is my idea- create a thread where people may commemt on slings posted there. Have them rate them.
This could also help with stuff like if someone does not make it right off, they could look as suggestions posted.
Kinda like the "pictures of slings and slinging" thread.
This is just my 2 cents on this- If you think its not a good idea, ignore it.
I just thought of it as I was reading the bowyer's bible.......
-Squirrelslinger

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:57am

Peer based judgment works pretty well when it comes to a difficult or contested choice like that.
You bring it up to the masses in a poll vote.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 12:41pm

Arcane Tinker wrote on Jan 20th, 2013 at 11:57am:
Peer based judgment works pretty well when it comes to a difficult or contested choice like that.
You bring it up to the masses in a poll vote.

works for me Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 12:57am

I like the idea of peer based input on subjective decisions, but the votes are indicating (so far) that I should just make the call myself.  But, to be fair, I did not include the voting option as an option.  So, I will restart this polling with an additional option to select peer based voting...  I think that would be the fairest way to proceed at this point.

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 3:59pm

In thinking about it, perhaps a sort of combination between the two options might work. For example, someone seeking to submit a level 4 sling could post pictures and give details of it on a thread, and there could be a time period where other members could post their approval, disapproval, comments or suggestions. After that, the moderator(s) would have the final say, but they would have the benefit of reading the input from other members, and so wouldn't have to judge completely on their own; in most cases they could probably just confirm the opinions of those who commented on the sling.  This way there would be a sort of "balance of power" as well as a sharing of the work. It could also provide a good way to offer encouraging suggestions if a member wasn't quite up to level 4 yet, without disappointing or discouraging them too much.

One other thought, if decide to let slinging.org judge, it might be a good idea to set up some guidelines so that the voting or however it is done doesn't drag on forever; something like a time limit for the poll, or a certain total number of yes votes (or no votes) required to pass (or not).

-Timothy Potter
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 6:14pm by Timothy Potter »  

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:12pm

In my initial reply I assumed the moderator was still the judge but in the event that the moderator denies the award, the crafted may petition for a peer review for appeal.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 12:30am

Timothy Potter wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 3:59pm:
In thinking about it, perhaps a sort of combination between the two options might work. For example, someone seeking to submit a level 4 sling could post pictures and give details of it on a thread, and there could be a time period where other members could post their approval, disapproval, comments or suggestions. After that, the moderator(s) would have the final say, but they would have the benefit of reading the input from other members, and so wouldn't have to judge completely on their own; in most cases they could probably just confirm the opinions of those who commented on the sling.  This way there would be a sort of "balance of power" as well as a sharing of the work. It could also provide a good way to offer encouraging suggestions if a member wasn't quite up to level 4 yet, without disappointing or discouraging them too much.

One other thought, if decide to let slinging.org judge, it might be a good idea to set up some guidelines so that the voting or however it is done doesn't drag on forever; something like a time limit for the poll, or a certain total number of yes votes (or no votes) required to pass (or not).

-Timothy Potter

I quite like this idea.  It makes very good sense.  I do take some pride in being able to be objective in most things, but it's impossible to be completely and utterly objective.  I like this because it gives the judge a baseline decision relative to all the fellow artists voting instead of just my own..

Thank you very much Timothy!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 12:35am

Arcane Tinker wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:12pm:
In my initial reply I assumed the moderator was still the judge but in the event that the moderator denies the award, the crafted may petition for a peer review for appeal.

You were right to assume this.  There is a very simple appeals process described here, but it does not call immediately for a peer review.  But, if C_A felt that it would be beneficial to do so, he could definately utilize that method! 

Good thinking!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 7:37am

I'm quite happy to handle any appeals.
Don't honestly think there will be many. But yep, if you think you've been shortchanged let me - or one of the other mods -  know Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:33am

Alright, it seems that we now have a decent idea of what the will of the people might be.  Later tonight I shall change the Sling Crafter 4 requirement as appropriate.

Polls are closed!

Thank you to all those who voted in this poll and the one before it..

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)