'Tut-atlatl' Tutorial (Read 4023 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

'Tut-atlatl' Tutorial
Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:59pm

I'll be honest, I've made dozens of slings and I still suck at weaving.  Smiley
Over the past few years I've often just made braided or uniform pouches to avoid weaving.

Recently I made the tematlatl from canteskuya's tutorial- http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1339632628 - and it actually worked! The weaving looked good and tight, even with sisal.  Smiley

I've also always loved the look of a king Tut sling alas, recently I haven't had the time or skill to make one. So I came up with the idea to make a quick and easy tut, or as I like to call it the 'Tut-atlatl'.

I'm working with super thick hemp so I reverse twisted the cords instead of braiding them, you can do either or as long as they are evenly divisble into two groups.

Then you whip the area where the cords part and take a needle and some thin jute and weave back and forth between the two cords. Kinda like this:

Try to taper your pouch towards the ends. You can make the sling however long or wide you want. I wanted to use mine for any kind of ammo. So its a little over 7 inches long by 3 inches wide.

Next begin weaving leangthwise with some cordage. You'll need a lot. Gradually push the weave to one side as you progress.

When you are done weaving, finish reverse twisting the other side. Make sure the two main sides are even. And just fiddle with the pouch awhile untill its all symetrical. Then soak the pouch and shape it some more. After a lot of fiddling, it will look like this.

And here are some pictures of the finished sling.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2013 at 8:18am by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: 'Tut-atlatl' Tutorial
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:03pm

I understand its not near as beautiful as a tut sling, but for my elementary weaving skills, it'll do just fine.

...and if you kind of back up and squint you can see the tut sling resemblance.  Wink

Being that this is my nicest woven pouch. I also added a braided release tab instead of a knot. Just to be different. Its a lot more quiet and releases pretty smoothly.

I seperated the two main strands into their base 6 strands. Then added another 3 base strands and did a 9 strand braid and tied it off at the start and end with a West county whipping.

Let me know if yall have any advice or questions.  Smiley

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:09pm

That actually looks quite good - and the construction resembles the tibetan slings I got off amdocraft.  Does anybody know if that's how the tibetans do their slings?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:27pm

Amdocraft slings are waaaaaay more complex than that.I keep looking at mine trying to figure out how it was done and come away with my head spinning.

IP Logged

chucker-mike

Slinging Rocks!  Indeed.

SW Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 4:59pm

Regarding amdocraft, how long did it take to get delivery from them?  I ordered a half dozen slings from the website back in December and have not yet received them.  Anyone remember how long it took?

BTW: Nice work on the non-loom tut sling Dan. It looks quite good.

"Rough is the road that leads to the heights of greatness."--Seneca

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 5:31pm

man. That is either my 3rd fav or 4th fave method of making a sling
It is a bit cordage-intensive, and takes extra time, but makes a great durable sling.
I love them cause they look like King-Tut's but they are SOOOOO much easier.
Nice tutorial Dan!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:03pm

If you want a Tut, let me know. I've several (read 3) sitting here, taking up limited room in my apartment and not being used. I will make myself some more after I'm in the Air Force if these go away, and I'd rather see them used than tangling my feet or becoming cat toys.

The design you used seems a bit more like a flat pouch. Is that a trick of the camera, or not?

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:31pm

I like it! Weaving it length-wise would mean less weaving back and forth?  And I gotta agree with you Dan, weaving is abominable!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 4:56am

The best part of weaving lengthways is that it does not get scrunched up at one end after a few throws. The fixed widthways warp threads keep everything in place.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 8:04am

woodssj wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:03pm:
If you want a Tut, let me know. I've several (read 3) sitting here, taking up limited room in my apartment and not being used. I will make myself some more after I'm in the Air Force if these go away, and I'd rather see them used than tangling my feet or becoming cat toys.

The design you used seems a bit more like a flat pouch. Is that a trick of the camera, or not?

PM sent.

Also, I took the Pic as the pouch was drying from forming so it has slight cupping but it's mostly flat.

I really wanted the tapered woven pouch look and that's what I got so I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't had too much dirt time with it yet but I think it'll do allright.

Yep, Weaving lengthwise is generally easier (and a neater for the inexpeirinced like myself) because there are fewer 'back and forth'  motions.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 8:23am

Whe I did something like this I found it easier to adjust the shape of the pouch with the sides up against each other down the middle and the warp thread extending out on each side. The photos explain this better: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1340105523

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:22am

woodssj wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 7:03pm:

I would not mind a tut, maybe a trade? does a jute rockman sound good? a rocklaric? or both :0 there is a limit to what fits in an envollop!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Chris)