crafting levels (Read 7376 times)
Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Re: crafting levels
Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 1:36pm

Peer board can be subjective. Make the rules and stick to them. If they need to be amened, then make amendments to the rule.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 2:57pm

Pikåru wrote on Jan 25th, 2013 at 1:36pm:
Peer board can be subjective. Make the rules and stick to them. If they need to be amened, then make amendments to the rule.

True.  That is originally why I did not write the requirements to allow for a peer based review.  However upon further consideration I realized that to be considered a Master is not always the determination of one, but of many.  It was the intent of the ranking system to be a way to recognize each others overall contributions, work, skill and dedication to the Art.  And I think that everyone will be fair for the most part.  
  Rest Assured that I will be certain to remind everyone before voting of what they should consider when reviewing the submission.  Additionally, when other experience crafters post their reasoning for the vote they gave (should they choose to do so) I'm certain that newer, less experienced voters will take note.
This way, the experienced and most skilled crafters, while they have only one vote, will still be able to add some weight to the proceedings..
   If it seems that the judging does not work well, we can always change it!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 3:15pm

Maybe a comittee should be used for disputes and interpretation after clear critera has been set. Try and remove bias out of the system.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:51pm

Quote:
All level three requirements / Make a Sling with a high complexity level, Difficulty, or with a unique Material(s) or all three...  The Master Level Review will be posted on the board as a poll lasting for three days.  During this time, all members of the Organization may vote on whether or not the sling qualifies.)  

Judging from this, I'd say I'm a 4. (Although that depends on how biased my personal judgement is on the Lvl. 4 criteria. I also have to post a Master level review before I'm considered.)

Craft Five different types of slings / Use all of them / Post Pics / teach someone to make a sling? Check, check, check, and check. (Barely made it on that last one though.)

Make a Sling with a high complexity level, Difficulty, or with a unique Material(s) or all three?
Well, that depends: the most difficult slings I've made would be a Tut sling out of jute, a decently-detailed Andean sling out of acrylic yarn, and two Balearic slings out of raw sisal, and am currently working on a third Balearic sling. (Made of sisal twine that has been soaked, untwisted, separated, and combed; the experience almost identical to spinning and braiding loose fibres)

(Now all I have to do is contribute some sort of research to the community, and I'll go from "Tiro" to qualifying for "Artifex"/"Funda Technicus"  Smiley )

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:21am

Donnerschlag wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:51pm:
Quote:
All level three requirements / Make a Sling with a high complexity level, Difficulty, or with a unique Material(s) or all three...  The Master Level Review will be posted on the board as a poll lasting for three days.  During this time, all members of the Organization may vote on whether or not the sling qualifies.)  

Judging from this, I'd say I'm a 4. (Although that depends on how biased my personal judgement is on the Lvl. 4 criteria. I also have to post a Master level review before I'm considered.)

Craft Five different types of slings / Use all of them / Post Pics / teach someone to make a sling? Check, check, check, and check. (Barely made it on that last one though.)

Make a Sling with a high complexity level, Difficulty, or with a unique Material(s) or all three?
Well, that depends: the most difficult slings I've made would be a Tut sling out of jute, a decently-detailed Andean sling out of acrylic yarn, and two Balearic slings out of raw sisal, and am currently working on a third Balearic sling. (Made of sisal twine that has been soaked, untwisted, separated, and combed; the experience almost identical to spinning and braiding loose fibres)

(Now all I have to do is contribute some sort of research to the community, and I'll go from "Tiro" to qualifying for "Artifex"/"Funda Technicus"  Smiley )

No doubt you'd be in the running.  I dunno if you've recently read through the requirements for rank advancement lately but I made a couple of changes that may make it a bit more challenging to achieve Artifex and certainly Funda Technicus...  Under the old requirements, even [b]I[\b] darn near qualified for Artifex.  But no longer, LOL.  I am only a lowly Tiro!  I'm gonna have to put out a bit more effort just to get to Funditor!  
  I'm actually glad you mentioned this cause I think that while I may have mentioned these changes in passing in other threads, I've never really announced it..  Thanks Donnerschlag!

Edited:
whoops, as I was..  I see that you have read it recently!  And again, thanks for the heads up!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)