Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
crafting levels
Jan 17th, 2013 at 2:13pm

Quote:
Make a Sling from “scratch” using only “natural”, un-prepared materials

can this be cord and leather pouch sling or does it just refer to a braided sling ?

ie: I have braided a three ply jute cord and attached to leather pouch I made.
so produced a sling from all natural materials. (okay I didn't raise, slaughter, skin and cure the cow hide - but then I didn't grow the jute either)

Would that count ?
If so I'm  a level 4 - if you're just after braided slings - then I'm only ever going to be level 3 Smiley  
I just don't like using braided slings enough to ever bother making one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: crafting levels
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:04pm

I think he means down right raw material slings. Straight from the cow or the woods.  Smiley

I've got one entirely made from raw agave and I think tinmann has some from grass. I think it'd be something along those lines.

Because dang near every slinger has a sling that is made from jute and leather so that'd be like participation award.   Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:44pm

Quote:
Craft Five different types of slings / Use all of them / Post Pics / teach someone to make a sling or post a tutorial on how to make one. 

Does translating a knitting pattern count as making a tutorial ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Dan wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:04pm:
I think he means down right raw material slings. Straight from the cow or the woods.  Smiley

I've got one entirely made from raw agave and I think tinmann has some from grass. I think it'd be something along those lines.

Because dang near every slinger has a sling that is made from jute and leather so that'd be like participation award.   Smiley

Exactly Dan!  Can you, wearing nothing but your undies, go off into the wild and craft up a sling?  You want to butcher a cow for the leather?  Okie dokie, but you can't buy it from somewhere!  Maybe I should call it a "survival sling" instead of saying "all natural materials".

And as far as never progressing past a certain level, I'm afraid that's going to be most of us at some point.  I'll probably never get around to writing a thesis or published article either, so I probably won't get much past level 2-3 historian..  If I'm not willing to do it, how can I do it?  Smiley

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:18pm

Perhaps. To be fair geographically, survival slings would be the preferred term over something like natural. Made from found materials "harvested or salvaged". Nothing may be purchased and a very minimal amount of tools used.

Some of us live in urban and suburban environments in a whole spectrum of climates. Suitable cordage bearing Flora may not be available and using animal parts could be out for various reasons.

If an urban dweller makes a usable sling out of shopping bags or electrical wire stripped out of a junk appliance. Heck I think an Aussie seatbelt sling is fair if everything is pure salvage.  The honor system would be pretty important here.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2013 at 9:26pm by Arcane Tinker »  

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 7:52pm

The honor system is just about the only way.  After all, the only person you are cheating is yourself.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 3:16pm

LightSlinger wrote on Jan 17th, 2013 at 5:08pm:
Exactly Dan!  Can you, wearing nothing but your undies, go off into the wild and craft up a sling?  You want to butcher a cow for the leather?  Okie dokie, but you can't buy it from somewhere!  Maybe I should call it a "survival sling" instead of saying "all natural materials".

And as far as never progressing past a certain level, I'm afraid that's going to be most of us at some point.  I'll probably never get around to writing a thesis or published article either, so I probably won't get much past level 2-3 historian..  If I'm not willing to do it, how can I do it?  Smiley

I think it might be a good idea to clarify what is actually required for Sling Crafter level 4, because, in certain environments, it is very simple to make a "Survival sling" from raw materials. For example, I was once at a campground by a large pond, and I made a quick sling by taking stalks from some of the local cattails or bulrushes and tied them together into a simple split pouch sling. It worked fine for launching stuff into the pond, and I suppose would technically fit the level 4 requirements, but it was hardly a masterpiece, and most beginners' first slings are of significantly better quality. Perhaps the requirements could be more along the lines of last part of the level 4 Ammo Crafter, something to the effect of:

Must construct a sling using advanced techniques (e.g. raw materials processing, complex design/function, detailed construction methods, etc. - Moderator discretion)

Just an idea.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 7:02pm

so..... If i made those Yucca leaves i picked from a plant I grew from seeds a neighbor gave me into cordage, and then amde a sling from it, I could call it natural materials?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 7:07pm

In my book, absolutely.  Now, the question is whether my book is worth a tinker's dam.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 7:13pm

Quote:
In my book, absolutely.  Now, the question is whether my book is worth a tinker's dam.

haha...
Well, Lightslinger, Would a Tut or woven pouch >8 strands count as complex?
Also, would a ground biconical stone work for the ammo requirement?
Thanks,
Squirrelslinger

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 3:09am

Timothy Potter wrote on Jan 19th, 2013 at 3:16pm:
I think it might be a good idea to clarify what is actually required for Sling Crafter level 4, because, in certain environments, it is very simple to make a "Survival sling" from raw materials. For example, I was once at a campground by a large pond, and I made a quick sling by taking stalks from some of the local cattails or bulrushes and tied them together into a simple split pouch sling. It worked fine for launching stuff into the pond, and I suppose would technically fit the level 4 requirements, but it was hardly a masterpiece, and most beginners' first slings are of significantly better quality. Perhaps the requirements could be more along the lines of last part of the level 4 Ammo Crafter, something to the effect of:

Must construct a sling using advanced techniques (e.g. raw materials processing, complex design/function, detailed construction methods, etc. - Moderator discretion)

Just an idea.

-Timothy Potter

I like your idea actually... 

Originally, this was the concept that I was going to put forth, but during the time when we were discussing this System, it seemed that the status quo was indicating that the subjectivity required for this method would not be well received.  However, since this system was written for all and not just for me (or even a few), I am more than willing to take a vote on this one...

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:36am

I think the criteria should be that you harvested your materials, processed them then made a working sling. I know that not everyone is going to have access to or the ideal place to gather something like yucca for example but nearly anyone can process grass fiber to make a sling or to use fiber from a basket or even animal/human hair to make a sling. I don't remember who exactly got sinew from a butcher to make slings but even that requires gathering and processing natural fibers even though they did not slaughter the animal to harvest the muscle casing. It just means that someone has to be creative on getting the materials to begin with.

For those who honestly don't have any raw natural materials, there are enough of us on the forum who can help them out. It would be another way of mentoring the craft which should be a criteria of experienced or 'master' crafters.

I might even agree that anyone who takes a short piece of large diameter fiber rope, tears it down and retwists the strands into long cord for braiding would qualify. I've often thought of making cord from the hair left over after brushing the cat. I've twisted foot long strands like you would wool. Over time I know I could have enough cordage to make a sling.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 12:40am

Ha ha ha!  That Would be awesome!  You might be the only slinger in the world with a Cat-Hair Sling!  You made my day with that Pikaru!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:11am

Someone made a sling from twisted and braided grocery bags, I think someone did one out of paper too. The plastic is not a natural fiber per se but the vision to take a simple and everyday item like plastic bags was awesome and is still an idea I carry in the back of my mind as a way to make strong cordage for a sling or anything else. Anyone remember the movie 'Castaway' where the actor Tom Hanks used video tape to lash his escape boat together? Probably not a crafter criteria but inovative nonetheless.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Forum Moderation
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:42am

Pikåru wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:11am:
Someone made a sling from twisted and braided grocery bags, I think someone did one out of paper too. The plastic is not a natural fiber per se but the vision to take a simple and everyday item like plastic bags was awesome and is still an idea I carry in the back of my mind as a way to make strong cordage for a sling or anything else. Anyone remember the movie 'Castaway' where the actor Tom Hanks used video tape to lash his escape boat together? Probably not a crafter criteria but inovative nonetheless.

Well, now that Sling Crafter 4 is a Peer Based Review, these types of things can be taken into consideration by the Crafter's Fellow Artists!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, LightSlinger)