Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Your fighting experience: which's the best weapon? (Read 13894 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Your fighting experience: which's the best weapon?
Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:18am

Hallo friends,
I've been thinking about this the whole day and I got the idea from something happened to me tonight, when I had to face a guy with 2 knives.
I managed to calm him down so there has been no need for a fight, but this let me think to other bad situations I've been with and I tried to analyze them objectively.
Briefly: 
- I've been attacked with a knife and knocked down the opponend with a fire extinguisher;
- I've been attacked with a branch and knocked him down with a bottle of beer, I took some damage from the branch but it didn't hurt me while in fight, while the opponent fell unconscious from my blow;
- I've been beaten by someone's billy (iron I think) on my left shoulder, just a single blow but it hurted a lot even because it slightly touched my ear, I reacted throwing a stone which he avoided - the stone hit one of his companions in the face and even if he was wearing a closed helmet he fell down.
- I've used a steel chain to scare my opponent and this stopped him;
- at the job, my boss used a small hammer to scare two unarmed robbers and they ran away;
- sometimes I've found myself under launches of stones and bottles and have thrown bottles myself.

From these experiences I've found many things:
- when someone throw something at you, or you throw something to somebody, it's really unlikely that one of the two will challenge the other's aim trying to get closer. It's more likely that both will try to stay out of the reach and, if there's the need, get closer once the other has finished its ammunition. Meanwhile both try to discourage the other with shouts and insults;
- I've a sacre terror of steel blades and the sight of a fierce opponent wielding a long knife is terrifying; anyway a good hit from a blunt weapon has proven to be more effective everytime I received or given one than every knife me or my friends ever had to face.
- some kind of training, good breath, speed, reflexes and stubborness (I mean keep beating until the opponent is knocked out) make the difference between harming or being harmed.

So the questions are:
which do you think is the best weapon for a brawl? 
Which the most effective? 
Which the one with the most intimidating power? 
Which causes the most phsicological effect?

Please note (and read this CAREFULLY):
neither me nor this topic are willing to promote violence in any form.
Always remember that there're no winners in a fight, only losers.
The best thing to do is absolutely to avoid any fight, always.

The aim of this topic is to collect people's experiences in order to estabilish if there's a weapon which is objectively better than another for a fight, so that these experiences can be used by me to suppose if there were preferred weapons in the Iron Age, a period where (in the context I'm studying) warfare was limited to one-on-one fights, with throwing weapons, knives and maces, which were similar to today's brawls.

So I'd like it if only people who actually had serious fights would post their experiences (I mean real fights, not competitions or any martial art's training).
If you don't feel at ease writing your experiences here, PM me if you want and only I will read them.

The topic will be locked and removed if it causes discord among us.

Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

GeneralMushroom
Descens

What I lack in feet, I
make up for in inches

England
Re: Your fighting experience: which's the best wea
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:37am

Flipping heck, you've had more than your fair share of tussles Tongue
Glad to know you're ok though

Just to get the ball rolling:

Not been in any major fights, just the usual putting bullies in there place if they tried anything on me. Most extreme I've had was someone hitting me with a whip like branch of a tree when I was about 14. They hit me once (that hurt, not going to lie), I disarmed them and sent them on their way Tongue

So the questions are: 
which do you think is the best weapon for a brawl? 

Something to put someone out of the fight quickly without killing them would be best. Some sort of blunt object to knock someone out.

Which the most effective? 

Again, something blunt to disable or stun.

Which the one with the most intimidating power? 

Aside from guns...
Knives. Any form of blade, because people know what they can do.

Which causes the most phsicological effect?

Again, guns and knives.

Matt, 21. Engineering undergrad, enjoys slinging!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:55am

There's really no such thing as the 'Best' weapon, only better ones for each individual and the situation at hand.
I personally haven't been in a physical altercation. I know how to calm people down and I generally don't go places where I could be attacked. First line of defence once you are actually in a bad situation is always the verbal judo, its often effective and worth a shot in most situations. Second is a good pair of shoes, walk away.

Those are mainly for street defence, if he's in my house, all bets are off.

I have read many SD stories and some of my older friends (adults) have been in fights.

To answer your questions though:

Gun
Gun (if the effect is to get you out of there alive, almost any gun will do)
Gun (Browing M2, jk)
Gun (pump action Shotgun)

Is this for street defence or home defence? What gun do you feel comfortable carrying? Which grip angle do you like the most? What is the largest pistol you can conceal carry and are willing to carry on a regular basis? What can you carry legally? What can you afford?

This are all questions you should ask yourself (whoever), before buy you Concealed Carry gun.

Thats my 2 cents, if anyone wants some suggestions as to what guns you should look into buying for CC, feel free to send me a PM.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:46am

In my 40 years of police work, I've been involved in remarkably few such situations.  Mostly, what I've had are what we call "resistings", which is to say that the individual is fighting to avoid arrest, and not necessarily to harm the officer.
He just doesn't want to go to jail.   Mostly a matter of wrestling with the individual till you can get them cuffed.
I have never hit anyone with my various nightsticks or batons...
I have pepper-sprayed people.   IMO...Very effective.  In all cases, the individual stopped doing what they were doing and surrendered.
I have not personally, but members of our department have Tasered individuals on several occasions..
The record is spotty.  Some were instantly subdued.
One had only one dart hit, and had to be "drive-stunned".   One was running, and fell down instantly.  However, when he went down one of the darts popped out and he got up and kept running... Had to be physically subdued.
One use on an individual who was already in custody and "went bad" resulted in the Taser malfunctioning.

Against an armed individual... Glock-fu is indicated.    Lacking a firearm, then some sort of improvised shield is a good idea.  Chair, trash-can or trash-can lid, whatever is handy.   If someone is armed with a knife and knows how to use it, trying unarmed techniques is likely to end badly.

IP Logged

sambo
Ex Member

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 9:46am

I don't belief there is such a thing a "best weapon" in a fight, in my professional experience of many years in blue we where given a baton and a gun and that is all we have to fight with , for obvious reason the gun is a very last resource ( I only shot it a hand full of times and always for intimidation) the baton of any kind, tonfa , asp ,straight etc once you know how to use it can be deadly,
that is why many country don't let civilian use them ,to handle them in a effective way is a skill that require a little training, to me the asp type was the one that closed a lot of idiots behind bars and the clang sound scare the poop out of many big boys trust me, now whatever you may choose to use as a form of defense make sure you have the knowledge needed to use it otherwise is one more weapon you give to a mug

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 11:15am

Sounds to me like you've already found the best weapon, Mauro - your brain.  It can get you out of a lot of tricky situations and it's far more adaptable than any pistol, knife, or truncheon.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:01pm

Outside of america - handguns are very rarely carried by other than criminals and law enforcement officers.

Plus handguns are a really bad choice - unless you're intention is to kill.

Even the best shot can't guarentee that they won't nick an artery and have the victim bleed out.

Let's try and concentrate on weapons that:
1) can be carried and obtained easily worldwide (rules out guns)
2) are not usually lethal - obviously any weapon can be potentially lethal. But the object here is self defence not murder
3) possibly weapons you can make yourself.
4) things that can be easily carried and concealed as well as easy to deploy should you need to.
5) where possible the weapon should be legal to carry. In the uk that rules out: knives, extendible batons, tasers, any kind of firearm, air pistols, bb guns and just about anything else a drunken youth can use on another drunken youth.
You can still get away with walking sticks and combat umbrellas (I did not make that last one up).

Avoiding fights is generally the best option, though apparently not for mauro, who does seem to get into a helluva lot more fights than any other 100 people I know.

Even when i was at college and used to go out hunting muggers - I never managed to find one.
Some people are just born lucky whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:05pm

Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for having shared your experiences.

I share the opinion that there's not "THE" perfect weapon, and this fits with the archaeological findings I'm studying, which consists in warrior's graves with swords, daggers, maces, axes and spearheads. Wierd enough, there're few throwing weapons other than javelins.
So even in the past they knew how to fight with more than a single weapon.

I also agree that some kind of blunt weapon can be very effective, even if its sight is not as impressive as a blade.
According to my experiences, a blunt weapon has longer reach than a blade, and this allows one of the opponents to beat while avoiding a dangerous close contact.
But alas, the sight of a blade is still terrifying and those ancient warriors surely had guts (that is, until someone snatches them away).

Now it would be very interesting to understand if there was a relation between a specific weapon (ie the sword) and the warrior's social class, but only archaeological sources can help me for this.
I'm planning to propose the reconstruction of a 8th Century b.C. poor warrior and I want to do it as accurate as possible  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:06pm

LOL I was not the average person in the past  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:22pm

I've only been in two good honest street fights. The guy who started it didn't need a weapon, he must have been a boxer though because he was in terrific condition and his punches felt more like hits from a 3lb. Hammer.  I had an axe within reach but I didn't want to go to prison. At this point in my life I had about 3 years of martial arts training...and I might as well have had none....there was no control or finesse in what I did to defend myself from him or his three friends that jumped in on it.  Nobody walked away from that fight unhurt.  Use your surroundings as your weapons....because, unless you're fighting in space, they're all around you.I don't know about the legal implications,  but I would think that weapons of opportunity look less menacing to law enforcement than a big hunting knife you were carrying around.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm

I've only been in one honest fight, and I won because the other guy was shorter and untrained. He just kept swinging at my face in these long sidearm motions. One quick jab to the upper chest (hit the throat, luckily) throat stunned him long enough for me to step back, and then I tripped him when he lunged at me by kicking his shin. Then I sat on him until our buddies calmed him down. He wasn't trying to hurt me, he just didn't know what he was doing. Sad

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 2:18pm

I've found , in my last serious fight (196x some thing), that a building corner makes a good bludgeon as you smash your foe into it. Then after they loose interest, thanks to the corner, the sidewalk is a good finisher.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 4:03pm

CA, it has become evident that living in a country without guns has not made you an expert.

I'm very sorry you can't have guns, but the question was, IYO, what's the best weapon?
I answered. I personally can't carry a gun for SD but I'd advise anyone capable of legaly doing so to do just that.
I said in the begining of my post that it varies for everyone and that legality should be consideration when looking into firearms. If they are completly illegal, than its out of the question for you.

Regarding use in self defence here's a picture with some well known statistics.

Also, 70% of people here in the U.S. shot with handguns survive.

While its true that firearms can cause a substancial amount of damage compared to other weapons, Modern medicine is also quite capbable of fixing a lot of things. And as the picture says, Most of the time a gun is drawn it does not need to be fired.

In reference to using a gun at close quaters, if you live in the U.S. or somewhere that allows guns there are probably some training courses you can take nearby on their use. I'd highly recomend them.
Here area a couple vids of such schools/training DVDs that you can use to practice with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiimtICOW-c
And just a regular vid on CC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8OK4WdoW0

A layered defence is also imporant, I'd also suggest learning some basic H2H (like Krav) to assist in your defence in addition to carrying.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 4:33pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1357647528/0#6 date=1357664474]...

Even the best shot can't guarentee that they won't nick an artery and have the victim bleed out.

C_A ... if I have to resort to Gun-Fu ...I"m aiming at the boiler room (Heart Lung) because for my safety; I want them to bleed out fast. I don't concealed carry and no longer live in an open carry state.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 5:09pm

I agree with Atlista...
Sorry for not getting the spelling right....
Anyway, being 13, living in the equelivant of a small town....
I have never been in an honest to goodness fight....
But i did go to school in a pretty nasty city for 2 years...
Best weapon= brain... Without it, No knives, etc.
But the best combat weapon for a street fight really depends on what your opponent's got..
My personal favorite is that good ole history book in my hands.
It will make people drop stuff. Expecially pinecones.
Anyway, I have only had one near-fight experiance.
There are teenagers that frequently do bad stuff near the front of my neighborhood...
Near enough to my slinging place that it worries me.
I usually just walk/bike past, but once one of them epicly thought that pulling a knife was a great idea when i had my trusty hornbeam staff.
carbon steel hunting knife+ Inhalants(guessing spray paint)+Hornbeam staff= Nice hurting head+broken knife+ Inhalants don't get rid of headaches.
Nice equation. Even a book would do the same thing.
I love books. Double as entertainment.
but a staff beats it for self-defense.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)