Bamboo backed bows (Read 15084 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Bamboo backed bows
Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:07pm

I have Quite a bit of bamboo... very fresh, some  not so-fresh.
I am planning to make a bamboo backed longbow.
I will probably either use eastern red ceder for the belly or use black locust. Those are the only two woods i can get enough of to make a bow... out of honeysuckle....
Any advice?
I am planning to make a small bow (about a meter)
then a full-size longbow with about a 40 pound draw.
THanks!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Re: Bamboo backed bows
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:10pm

Season the bamboo really well?  That's about all I can think of.  I plan to do some bamboo-backed red cedar at some point, so I'll be very interested to hear how yours go.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 12:38pm

Thanks..
THis will be like my 3rd SUCCESSFUL bow if it goes well.
I also had a ceder javlin... but it broke, It was truly beautiful.
It is really wierd to think that a weapon is beautiful...........

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:05pm

I have heard -over and over- that bamboo is really strong in both tension and compression. If the bamboo backing is too thick it can cause compression fractures in the weaker wood that it's laminated to.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:20pm

What about 2 layers of bamboo?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:26pm

Thin the snot out of the bamboo.  Do not cut the outside of the bamboo, do all your scraping and sanding on the inside.  Be very careful when you sand the nodes on the outside, you do not want to damage the fibers, sand using high grit sandpaper and just enough to remove any sharp edges.  Don't use any with mold on it, the mold will keep growing and eventually weaken the long fibers in the bamboo.  When using a rasp, go from the back to the belly, start on the bamboo and go into the wood.  Use a hacksaw blade and srore both the 'boo and the wood prior to glue up.  Use Titebond II or III, you can get them from Home Depot.

I called my brother, he's the one who has made several BBO (bamboo backed 0sage) bows, that's his advice up top.  His other piece of advice was to build the bow as if you were not planning on backing it, then put the 'boo on as insurance, the same way as when you use linen or silk or something similar to keep it from breaking...and you may have to retiller slightly once the glue is set.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:33pm

You posted as I was typing, there is a guy who makes bamboo laminate bows, he puts a 1/8 inch (2mm) layer of wood between the 'boo, he also uses heat to add reflex and deflex.  He glues the inside of the 'boo to the wood.  The center wood is just a spacer, the 'boo does all the work, he knows enough to get his poundage from knowing how thick to thin the 'boo down to, he makes them from about 35 to 70 pounds.  Be advised, he has made a whole bunch of them.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:07pm

Topic added in Weapon's Index  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:39pm

What Bill said.

Also, using the BL and the boo is a recipe for chryssals. BL is usally pretty weak in compression as is, and with the extra tensions support on the back the back will likly over power the belly.

The ERC backed with boo would probably work pretty well. ERC isn't great in tension so the bamboo should totatly compensate.

Have you made a self bow before?

I'd definitly suggest doing that first before you invest all the time and effort in a backed bow.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:06pm

Yes ive made a self bow....
But i have access to only ceder in 3-7 foot pieces about 2 inches, ceder 3 ft 2-5 inches,
and black locust up to 3 inches by 6 feet....
Bamboo, any length and up to 2 inches...
So just a bamboo, wood spacer, bamboo?
or how bout bamboo and oak?
3 foot bow, about 20 pounds is what im looking for.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:07pm

You can back ERC with boo but I would not.  You will need to get that bamboo strip really thin.  That's just my own personal tastes though.  Black locust would be a better bet IMO.  ERC works like a charm with sinew and pre stressed silk though.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:22pm

A question. What does ERC, IMO, Etc mean?
I am not exactly an experianced bowyer....

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:31pm

ERC=Eastern Red Cedar
IMO=In My Opinion

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:41pm

Thanks.. so a piece of oak.. would make a good belly?
on the bow.
I have very little eastern red ceder...
Maybe another honeysuckle...
Also.. If i made an all bamboo bow and put a spacer in the middle...
Should I make the belly thicker than the back?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:56pm

What Masi said.  Smiley

Oak will work better than ERC.  But still, bamboo is really strong in tension. Try thinning it to a 1:4 ratio or so.    Your best luck will probably come from Osage, Ipe or other woods that are very dense with high compression strength.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)