Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crane-fly Orchid Glue (Read 3627 times)
Atlatlista
Ex Member

Crane-fly Orchid Glue
Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:03pm

So, I was inspired watching this video from Ray Mears, England's ultimate bushcraft guru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik7GbPEqljg

In the video, he makes a stone age bow and arrows, but one of the interesting parts for me was the way he attaches the fletching.  He makes a glue out of the bulb of a plant known as bluebell, which I'd never heard of, but which is apparently very common in the forests of the UK.  Anyway, this was based on what he'd seen the Hadza do, chewing up the bulb of a plant, and using it as a glue for their arrows.  That can be found in this video, which is Mears' second trip to the Hadza, I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sY3XQZBx2w

Anyway, all of this reminded me of a plant we have here in North Carolina called the crane-fly orchid.  It grows on the forest floor of the Eastern Woodlands in abundance.  Wiki has some good info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipularia_discolor

The leaves are distinctive, green with parallel veins running lengthwise (sometimes more prominent than others), but always bright purple on the underside:

The bulbs are attached to the roots underground and look like this when cleaned up:

These bulbs are starchy, but edible, often compared to a potato, and sometimes cooked before eating.  However, they can be eaten raw.  The flavor isn't bad, but they're incredibly sticky, turning into a sort of putty in your mouth.  This made me think that they might be suitable for use as a glue for fletching.  So, I collected a bulb, chewed it up, and spat it out on a stick and stuck a leaf on top, just to see if it worked as glue.  It immediately stuck the leaf to the shaft, which would have facilitated fletching considerably, had I been up to that at the moment.  It takes time to cure, and it doesn't have a lot of holding power on its own, but I think it's a pretty good natural adhesive to assist with fletching arrow shafts if you want to use exclusively primitive methods.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Crane-fly Orchid Glue
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:58pm

Very cool. That's a good source for glue for those of us who don't have pine trees.

The internet says it grows here in PA as well as most of the east coast so I'll keep an eye out for that plant.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 6:07pm

Dan wrote on Dec 14th, 2012 at 5:58pm:
Very cool. That's a good source for glue for those of us who don't have pine trees.

The internet says it grows here in PA as well as most of the east coast so I'll keep an eye out for that plant.

I wouldn't use it by itself for hafting points, I'd still want a pine resin/charcoal mastic for that, but for fletching, which requires less intense adhesives, this may be a very viable alternative.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 7:25pm

Topic added to the Weapon's Index.
I think that bluebell is the Italian "campanellino", nice to know.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 8:43pm

Check carefully. If it is a native orchid species it may be a "Protected" plant for which there are some fairly stiff fines for collecting.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 10:40pm

It's not protected in the state of North Carolina, and so far as I'm aware, I'm allowed to collect what I please from my own property as far as flora goes.  I suppose if it were a federal endangered species, that might be different.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2012 at 11:59pm

yes.... I love natural stuff. PPg beats gorilla glue for some purposes.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man)