Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alternative Archery Shooting Positions (Read 5036 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Alternative Archery Shooting Positions
Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, feet pointed in the same direction, shoulders completely in line with your target, keep you bow arm perfectly straight, draw, breath out, and release.

That's bascially the tradional target archery shooting process. However, anyone whos ever gone stump shooting or hunting knows that kind of stance and shot is near inexucutable.

I think that learning some different postions and practicing them will make me a more well rounded archer. Do you guys know anything about these postions? I can shoot pretty well from my knees but how do you shoot laying down?

Any advice is appreaciated.

Thanks!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Re: Alternative Archery Shooting Positions
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 5:35pm

Lay down, your shoulders on the ground, doesn't matter the position relative to the target.
Point the bow against the target, draw.... release.
Just be careful to apply a force upward with your 2nd and 3rd finger to the arrow, not with the thumb, or it won't shoot straight.

Give the shoulders to the target, turn 90 degrees, shoot  Smiley

I can't remember if I was able to shoow with the bow behind my head, tomorrow I'll try and tell you.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:21pm

I think that shot is perfectly executable, and I go roving all the time.  It's funny you should mention this, as I was just practicing today taking instinctive shots at a deer target from 20-50 yards, utilizing cover, forcing me to bend around trees and the like.  Kneeling shots were unobtainable with a 6'2" longbow, even with substantial cant, as the lower limb would strike the ground.  I'm a pretty tall girl, but the bow is just too long for that.  If I intend to do any kneeling I'll take my horsebow next time.  However, shooting from cover rapidly was easily achievable with a minimally modified standard target archery posture.  I say minimally modified, as I wasn't standing perfectly straight, I was leaning forward to move out of cover and so on and so forth, but really, it was pretty much the same as my typical stance.

Sometimes on field archery courses or in roving, I'm in a position where my feet can't be where I normally put them, or one has to be higher than the other or something, but this generally isn't an issue for me.  Again, leaning up or down or side to side, moving your feet slightly, I consider these minimally modified postures.  I've never run into a problem using an upright archery stance in a wooded environment, and that's the bulk of my shooting experience.

Incidentally, the target archery stance these days isn't what you describe, at least not for FITA shooters.  They utilize a rear-foot forward stance with the feet rotated slightly towards the target.  I've never liked it much, so I use a stance similar to what you describe, which is the old target archery stance of yesteryear.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:35pm

I didn't understand if you was replying to my message, but I can tell you that I've never followed a codified rule regarding the shooting position.
I just know two or three technics but I've seen that if I've a strong will to hit the target, I'll do it.
Sounds strange, but the only time this philosophy didn't work was when I had to shoot from a XIth Century tower, it was high and the target was at the end of the courtyard, the height deceived me  Roll Eyes
All this, talking about fixed targets; if shooting at mobile targets I just don't have time to think to the position: I look at the target and shoot as fast as possible. On this matter, I agree with you that the bow's length matters!
A good practice for that (for me) is to shoot blindfolded.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 6:42pm

I was more replying to Dan, Mauro, but I agree that you don't have time to set a careful stance when shooting moving targets, or even necessarily doing what I was doing today.  However, I've drilled my stance so much by shooting so many times, that my body naturally adopts that posture (or a slight variation thereof) reflexively.  Just like anything else, if you train the right posture over and over again, it will be available to you when you need it.  You may not be able to stand with your feet exactly as you do on an indoor shooting line, or with your body as rigidly upright as you would when you're not in a hurry, but the overall form should remain consistent.

One thing I'm working on is taking very rapid shots (time from sighting the target to loosing the arrow in less than 2 seconds) without changing my anchor point.  I have a very solid anchor point, with three physical points of reference, so it's easy for me to know when my anchor is on or off.  There is a tendency though to creep off the anchor when shooting very fast, so today I was focusing on maintaining those three points of contact even with my most rapid shots.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:26pm

Doing so in less than 2 seconds would be a great achievement!
Are you planning to use these fast shoots on moving targets?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:33pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:26pm:
Doing so in less than 2 seconds would be a great achievement!
Are you planning to use these fast shoots on moving targets?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Eventually I may move in that direction.  I'd like to do pop-up silhouette targets, as I'm interested in exploring the bow as a weapon of warfare.  Archery tag also sounds like a blast, though the bow poundage is very light:  http://archerytag.com/

2 seconds doesn't include nocking the arrow to the string, or reloading.  My point is just that I'm acquiring the target, drawing and loosing without any pausing for conventional aiming, or even to really focus on my target.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:55pm

You know what? When I trained blindfolded, I didn't really have a chance to aim; they put me a blindfold, made me turn around, then my instructor knocked on the target and I had to shoot in the direction of the sound.
So I actually "focused" on the target, but wasn't able to see it, so I bet this will not prevent you to make good hits.
Do you usually draw while raising the bow? Because I was taught not to do so, but when I have to shoot fast, or am shooting while moving, I simply don't have time to follow all the rules: it's mostly an istinctive shoot, and it often succeed if I remain mentally focused on the target.

Regarding the use of the bow during wars, I partecipated to a couple of battles or three, one of which involved shooting from that tower and the other involved shooting to people on a field; these have been nice tests to see how a bow behave in combat, even my medieval archaeology teacher (who was also my instructor) was impressed about its effectiveness! If you have any question on these experiences and you think these may help you, please ask... I'd be happy to share  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:57pm

On that field battle: we had arrows similar to those shown in your link, but the enemies were wearing metal helmets (of various types).
Well... those I was shooting at. Others were wearing leather caps or nothing at all, and I didn't shoot at them, not even with our modified arrows.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 8:04am

Mauro, When your shoulders are on the ground, you mean that the archer is on his back not his front, correct? And the Archery Tag arrows Alina is talking about are extremely safe. Espically with the bow poundage. I'm fairly certain you could use them with heavier bows, but you wouldn't have the company's blessing to do so.  Wink

Atlatlista, the majority of times I needed to use a modified stance was when I was stalking, saw my prey coming towards me, and moved to an area with cover, this was often kneeling beside a bush or behind a log or something.

Most shots I could probably get away with a 'modified' target stance, where my feet were a little higher, one foot is higher than the other on a rock, I'm leaning forward at the waist, etc.

But, if there is a time when an alternative stance is required to harvest game, I would be awfully thankfull that I practiced those 'back up' stances. Plus they are really fun to practice.  Smiley

My current hunting bow is a 62" self bow so shooting from a kneeling or sitting postions isn't to difficult.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 8:26am

You're right Dan, I meant the archer laying on his back  Wink
When shooting at people, we used our usual bows, varying from 45 to 65 lbs, but our arrows where shortened so we couldn't draw them at full power. And they had sugar plugs instead of the usual arrowheads  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:06am

Dan wrote on Dec 11th, 2012 at 8:04am:
Mauro, When your shoulders are on the ground, you mean that the archer is on his back not his front, correct? And the Archery Tag arrows Alina is talking about are extremely safe. Espically with the bow poundage. I'm fairly certain you could use them with heavier bows, but you wouldn't have the company's blessing to do so.  Wink

Atlatlista, the majority of times I needed to use a modified stance was when I was stalking, saw my prey coming towards me, and moved to an area with cover, this was often kneeling beside a bush or behind a log or something.

Most shots I could probably get away with a 'modified' target stance, where my feet were a little higher, one foot is higher than the other on a rock, I'm leaning forward at the waist, etc.

But, if there is a time when an alternative stance is required to harvest game, I would be awfully thankfull that I practiced those 'back up' stances. Plus they are really fun to practice.  Smiley

My current hunting bow is a 62" self bow so shooting from a kneeling or sitting postions isn't to difficult.

Have you noticed kneeling to be a different stance though?  For me, when I do kneeling practice (with my recurve obviously), I find that it's just the same as standing archery.  The only difference is that I use my knees as my feet.  My brother (who is ex-military) suggested to me that I should only kneel on one knee, to permit rapid movement from cover if need be, and I did find that stance to be a little awkward, but if kneeling on both knees, it's the same as the rest.  Also, I've found that shooting backwards like the Parthians actually improves my accuracy, because it aligns my body perfectly in relation to the bow.  So, while this is obviously a change from the target stance (feet shoulder width apart, body twisted backwards), I find that I don't actually "do" anything differently from my normal target shooting.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:20am

Quote:

But, if there is a time when an alternative stance is required to harvest game, I would be awfully thankfull that I practiced those 'back up' stances. Plus they are really fun to practice.  Smiley

Have you noticed kneeling to be a different stance though?  For me, when I do kneeling practice (with my recurve obviously), I find that it's just the same as standing archery.  The only difference is that I use my knees as my feet.  My brother (who is ex-military) suggested to me that I should only kneel on one knee, to permit rapid movement from cover if need be, and I did find that stance to be a little awkward, but if kneeling on both knees, it's the same as the rest.  Also, I've found that shooting backwards like the Parthians actually improves my accuracy, because it aligns my body perfectly in relation to the bow.  So, while this is obviously a change from the target stance (feet shoulder width apart, body twisted backwards), I find that I don't actually "do" anything differently from my normal target shooting.

For kneeling, if you hold your bow with your left, try putting your left knee on the ground, your right leg will be bent with the foot securely on the ground. One knee stance. Your body will align just like your used to when standing. It may make it less awkward. Vice-versa if you hold  your bow with the right hand.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:22am

Pikåru wrote on Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:20am:
Quote:

For kneeling, if you hold your bow with your left, try putting your left knee on the ground, your right leg will be bent with the foot securely on the ground. One knee stance. Your body will align just like your used to when standing. It may make it less awkward. Vice-versa if you hold  your bow with the right hand.

Yep.  It took me two shots to work that out.  My instinct was to leave the left foot up, and I was awkward as can be.  With the left knee down, it was more secure.  I'd still rather kneel on two knees though, if it comes to kneeling.  Maybe this is one stance that does need extra practice.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:41am

Yeah, see what I mean.  Wink

I consider kneeling different than standing although there are many similarities (as there should be), and I consider prone different than sitting.

The biggest thing with changing your feet is ensuring there is little change in the upper part of your body. If you can't get a consistent full draw, your trajectory won't be consistent, and in turn, you won't be as accurate.

And again, I also find it really fun to practice shots like these. Not just for practical hunting reasons, but for entertainment as well. I find Olympic archery quite mundane compared to watching roving or trick shooting. It keeps it interesting if you mix things up sometimes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)