Send Topic Print
New Designs (Read 4634 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
New Designs
Dec 2nd, 2012 at 9:10am

Here are a couple of new sling designs.  Please excuse the poor picture quality.  Better pictures will follow shortly.  First is a double barrel sling.  Fundibularius came up with a brilliant over and under design so I figured we needed a side by side.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: New Designs
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 9:13am

I've tested this design and as long as the projectiles used are both about the same size and shape the shot group is rather tight.  Next is a ten strand snowball sling that was unbelievably difficult to make.  I'm still waiting for it to snow so that I can test it but expectations are high:

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 9:17am

Again, I apologize for the poor picture quality.  There's also smaller seven strand snowball sling I'll post later.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 9:34am

Great work.  Would some type of synthetic cord have worked better for the snowball launcher?  It wouldn't soak up water and then freeze when you stop throwing.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 11:32am

Thanks.  That's a good point, Bill.  The thing is that the sling was extremely difficult to make.  I did have some mason line that I could have tried to use, but it's so darned slippery I don't know if I could have pulled it off.  Also, mason line would soak up some water, if not quite as much as the jute I used.  I chose jute for two reasons; first, it's very easy to work with.  Also, due to a very generous friend, I have literally miles of it.  Your suggestion is well taken and I'll give it some thought.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:06pm

i like the first one

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 9:55pm

Bill, you think it'd matter much either way? I mean water soaked into nylon braid freezes like it does inside any other material.   I have nylon ratchet straps holding the ladders on my service van, and I carry extra every winter for when they freeze and the only thing that removes them is my pocketknife.

Any chance we can see that double barrel in action? Looks like fun.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 10:19pm

Maybe I can get my wife to video it.  It is a lot of fun to use.  Thanks ghost.  The main thing with the water migration is to make certain that you dry the sling after every use.  Jute, like any natural material, will rot if you put it away wet.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 11:49pm

ratman, if your jute is anything like mine, soak the hell out of the sucker. The glue in the jute from processing will turn rock hard when it gets wet- so when you go and sling you'll have a sling soaked in frozen water, and glue in the way. Keep soaking it and you'll get rid of the glue, I usually do it in three, 6 hour periods (afternoons, I'm ballparking the hours). I'll rinse it under water for a while, twisting it tight and soaking it again, before just setting it down for a few hours, before repeating.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #9 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 4:09am

That "double-barrel" sling is awesome!  I had toyed with the idea of doing something similar but I was a little hesitant to try it.  Now that I see yours though, I may have to give it a go!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 8:31am

You might be able to wax the sling too. Never tried it before but I think it'd be pretty beneficial.

Good looking slings and nice tight weaving job!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 9:36am

I can always see when it's a sling made by Rat Man
Your slings always have something the same 1 - Jute, 2 - the weaving.
and they all look alike Smiley great slings, they do throw very good, I know that from the sling you sent me some time ago.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 12:00pm

Quote:
I can always see when it's a sling made by Rat Man
Your slings always have something the same 1 - Jute, 2 - the weaving.
and they all look alike Smiley great slings, they do throw very good, I know that from the sling you sent me some time ago.

You're right.  They all do sort of stem from the same basic model, Rambo.  I do use materials besides jute, but I have a lot of it plus I like jute a lot so that's mostly what I use.  
   LightSlinger, if you want to make a double barrel sling like mine start by weaving six lengths of jute.  Be sure to make EVERYTHING extra long and leave lots of room. Weave three groups of two lines, making the standard three strand flat braid.  When you get to the middle change the braid to two groups of three strands staying with the three strand flat braid.  Make two pjs (or whatever sling pouch you like) side by side.  I think it's easiest to make them per my alternate sheep shank tutorial.  Then whip the two groups of three strands together as you see in my picture at both the retention and release end of the pouches.  Then reconnect all of the strands by going back to braiding three groups of two strands in the three strand flat braid again.  
  It's a little difficult to explain this exactly without doing a proper tutorial but I think that you can look at the picture and get a general idea of which way to go.  There are many different ways to do this so you might come up with your own version.  Eventually I'll do tutorials on the double barrel, ten strand snowball, and seven strand snowball slings.  

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2012 at 6:45pm

Man. nice. is the two- side by side pouch the same type as the 3 strand woven pouch? just with 6 strnds?
i like it

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Thanks.  The way I worded it may be confusing.  The cords have six strands divided into three groups of two strands braided into a three strand flat braid.  When you get to the pouches you divide the six strands into two groups of three strands braided into two three strand flat braids used to make the two modified five strand sheep shank slings per my alternate method tutorial.  I can see that this is no less confusing.  I'll have to do a tutorial.  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)