Send Topic Print
Burls for clubs! (Read 4233 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Burls for clubs!
Nov 27th, 2012 at 7:07pm

Hey, just recently got an invite from a friend of my little brothers to go cut some burls growing behind his parents house.  I went down and found a small forest full of spruce burls, trees with literally 20 of them on it.  I picked out the ones I could reach that were perhaps suitable for making clubs and here they are.  Spruce isn't the best for a club but should work well, the burl is extremely hard, much harder than the rest of the branch, and spruce though a softwood is quite hard.  The only drawback is spruces tendency to be brittle, so I will not work down the handles very much to keep them strong.  I did a little research online and found a few other clubs made from a spruce burl branch just like these so it is done.  I have never worked a burled branch before, just burled roots, so it should be a different experience and much easier to work than a root.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: Burls for clubs!
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 7:37pm

Never thought of that,  thats awesome

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 7:46pm

What causes the burls?

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 1:55pm

As I understand it they are caused by an insect, it's a type of infection in the tree, think of it as a tree tumor.  Most of them are on older trees, but I saw some little saplings there just the size of a christmas tree with a canetlope sized burl on them.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 9:42am

I have not found any burls or roots suitable for clubs, so I made one from an Y-shaped branch.  I liked it, but it is quite thin (and fast) but I wanted one a bit thicker, as a War Club.  It was cut well before christmas and needs to dry out well before I can begin working on it.

DSCF0008.jpg (211 KB | )
DSCF0008.jpg

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:08pm

Topic added to the Weapon's Index.
Great wood!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 2:09pm

I like the burl, but the Y-shaped stick idea is great, given how prevalent they are in the woods.  Can't wait to see the clubs you guys come up with.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 3:55am

I could not wait any longer, I made a club from the lumpy hazel branch in my previous picture.  I sanded it and added som boiled linseed oil, the contoured grip is left as whittled to provide a sure gip.  It feels solid and the weight is obviously toward the front but the thing isn`t to heavy for some quite agile moves.
I feel oddly invincible when I swing it around or do basic drills with it Cheesy

DSCF0061.jpg (229 KB | )
DSCF0061.jpg

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:03am

My next, future projects will be walking sticks, with ball- or rather lumpy heads, like on my older, smaller club.  They need to dry out before I begin to work on them, I leave lots of extra wood in case the ends crack while drying.

DSCF0062.jpg (222 KB | )
DSCF0062.jpg

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:57am

As you work them down, to prevent splitting or to minimize splitting, rub in some olive oil.  This works on some pretty green wood.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:59pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:57am:
As you work them down, to prevent splitting or to minimize splitting, rub in some olive oil.  This works on some pretty green wood.

Yea, it also works on preventing checks...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:24pm

In my last post I show two hazel walking stick blanks.  I have now whittled, sanded and rubbed them with boiled linseed oil.  They are apprx 37" long and just over 1" thick.  The rubber caps in the ends are  Ř25 millimeter inside.  While the may aid me in walking when I get old I suppose they could come in handy as self defence tools, so I lovingly consider them as my shillelaghs.  As I only threat wood with linseed oil I left some inner bark to get some coloring.  I got the idea from YouTube where I have eagerly studied making (and maybe even use of) walking sticks and shillelags.

DSCF0138.JPG (175 KB | )
DSCF0138.JPG

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:25pm

...and...

DSCF0139.JPG (177 KB | )
DSCF0139.JPG

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:43pm

Those are pretty cool. I have a 1.5" diam honeysuckle walking stick... its light, but extremely hard wood? doesn't make sense to me. locust clubs are fun.
I don't need a walking stick.. but hiking staffs are fun.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 12:17pm

Honeysucle, locust, I don`t think it`s those are all that common here Smiley 
We all has to use what`s around us.  I  don`t need a walking stick either, but if I brought one on a hike it would suddenly become a short hiking staff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar)