Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Rankings (Read 12354 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Rankings
Nov 25th, 2012 at 2:15pm

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile but never mentioned because I don't know if there is enough interest in it.

Would anyone here be interested in a specific ranking or "achievement" titles for accuracy standards here on Slinging.Org?  For example we could all decide on various goals to reach and as a member reached a particular goal they could have a title attached below there name showing how far they have come, accuracy-wise?

Either you could post a video showing you meeting a standard or perhaps if you are able to do it in person so another long time member could see it, that would count as well. 

Anyways... this might be little more than a pipe dream...but it would be interesting, at least to me, for us to be able to have this aspect on this forum for those of us who have spent a significant amount of time practicing accuracy.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Re: Rankings
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 3:03pm

Definitely this would bring more ''class'' to the forum....This would encourage young/new slinger to compete with the other members of the forum, and on the other hand this would be a problem for the ones who have not access to a good camera(or do not own at all).

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:16pm

It might be fun to have something like that in place.   I don't suppose using the honor system would be a good idea?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:26pm

We'd have to make more forum groups like the "past moderator" group, and have the mods place people into the groups they qualify for.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:27pm

Shocked Ranking ?? I'm totally inside the barn .. watch out youse broad sides.  Embarrassed

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 6:17pm

hm.... it would stink for me. all i have is a printer-scanner and a cellphone with a non-operational camera.
It is also impossible for me to post pics of myself- parents wont let me.
now if i just videotape the target hits..... maybe.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:16pm:
It might be fun to have something like that in place.   I don't suppose using the honor system would be a good idea?
   Huh

lol, i think its a great idea cept no camera here either
But me mum says its ok Smiley
walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 7:39am

and we're back to the standardised target discussion we've had for the last 5 years Smiley

Plus basing any kind of standard purely on accuracy is very limited.

I'd rather see a more all round approach.
Have the slinger demonstrate different sling styles. How fast he can sling, how far he can sling.

To me accuracy is just a small part of slinging.  Any kind of awards that just concentrate on that single aspect don't get my vote. An overall slinging achievement certification - I'm all for that. Thumbs Up

But it's got to be based on the development of the slinger as a whole.  

I know jaegoor and the german slinging society (that's probably not their actual name) have a certification system that is just based on accuracy at the balearic targets.
And that's fine.

But for slinging.org I'd prefer we expand on the idea and take in the whole of a slingers accomplishments.  Making slings should also be a part of it. As should using different types and lengths of sling, making your own ammunition, teaching other people to sling, improving your own speed, distance and accuracy. Demonstrating different sling styles and tachniques for making slings.
The whole kit and kaboodle.

It would give slingers who maybe aren't so accurate other things to try and achieve.
If you can only hit a barn from the inside - you probably couldn't get a gold standard certificate - but silver and bronze would be well within your capabilities to achieve (or whatever standards are decided on).
Lets try and promote the entirety of slinging and not just one small aspect of it.

So get your thinking hats on and start working out a more comprehensive certification system and I'll back that all the way to printing and sending out the certificates Smiley

Be kind of cool to include something like that in the guide too. Would add an extra degree of professionalism Thumbs Up  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 8:55am

I think CA is on the right track, there is more to slinging than just throwing rocks.  

A real slinger would be able to go naked into the wilderness, make a sling from grass, use it to hunt game to feed and cloth himself (or herself), use the sling as a a string for a bowdrill to make fire and tools, use slings to lash his shelter together...OK, maybe a little overboard.

While a lot of people start with Aussies' seatbelt sling, it seems like most make their own and most try out several different patterns and lengths before settling on one or two, I think that should be recoginized, as should demonstrating, teaching and just generally getting people to learn about the sling.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 10:53am

Bill: To go amusing idea in the nude to then wood.

And of course it is about exactness.

All other is a nice game.

And also interesting.

What to them a piano if they it does not use can play.

Thus it is with the Sling also. What great methods slingen use to them, they do not meet her aim.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 12:00pm

I like that idea as well C_A.  For example,  maybe I am a little more accurate than some but my distance is below average and I will realistically never make as pretty a sling as Timann, Kava or Timothy can.  There are all sorts of of aspects to the sling. Let everyone reach towards whatever goals are most interesting for them.

As far as the accuracy rankings go, I don't think we need to go nuts in making everything perfectly standardized.  If one person likes throwing tennis balls, and if in their situation that is all they can safely practice with, let them.  It would be wrong to exclude them.  And this isn't a contest, therefore it wouldn't matter if one person is throwing tennis balls and another stones or clay.  All that would matter is target size + distance.  And that is plenty hard enough, especially if one were going for higher rankings.

I like the idea of newer members coming on and seeing various achievements that other members have accomplished and being encouraged to try for similar achievements for themselves.

We can figure out the camera thing.  But I wanted to throw the idea out there just to see if anyone else was interested.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 10:01pm

I like this idea a lot. Maybe it could be an accumulation of points. Say score 3/5 for distance, accuracy, workmanship etc, as well as promoting the sling to others. It would be interesting to see an average skill level. I believe in the honor system especially since we're slingers not camera jockeys.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 1:01am

Seems like a good idea.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 12:40pm

Well maybe we should start out with the honor system to start out?  And those who have cameras can post videos if they feel like it, when/if they can. 

What would be some good categories and rankings within those categories? Accuracy, sling making and distance are the most obvious that come to mind.

Here's a list of possible rankings for accuracy just to get a vague idea, let me know what you guys think... :  Novice, Initiate,  Journeyman, Veteran,  Expert, Master and Grandmaster?

Novice: Can perform his/her chosen slinging technique fluidly and sling in a general direction
Initiate:   Hit a 4m x 4m square from 10 meters away 50% over a 10 shot sequence.
Journeyman: Hit a standard Balearic target from 10 meters away 50% of the time over a 10 shot sequence.
Veteran:  Hit a standard Balearic target from 20 meters away 50% of the time over a 10 shot sequence.
Expert: Hit a standard diana target (Balearic bullseye) from 20 meters away 50% of the time over a 10 shot sequence.
Master: Hit a standard 10 inch diameter paper plate from 20 meters away 50% of the time over a 10 shot sequence.
Grandmaster: Hit a standard 10 inch diameter paper plate from 25 meters away 50% of the time over a 10 shot sequence.

As far as the what constitutes rankings in other categories, maybe those people who specialize in those categories could think of goals.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 1:57pm

Who certifies the certifier and how do you quantifiably remove bias or opinion?

If certification and slinger levels are important for the promotion of the sport (hobby) of slinging then there may be some weighted merit to this idea. However if levels and achievements are for bragging rights within this small active community of slinging enthusiasts then what is the purpose?

master.png (42 KB | )
master.png

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)