Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Homemade slingshot attempts (Read 6051 times)
HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Homemade slingshot attempts
Nov 19th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Hi everyone,

for the last week or so I've been trying to make a really good slingshot out of a seasoned maple fork. Every time I think I'm finished, I decide that it isn't perfect enough so I change it.

The first attempt turned out like this: ...

As you can see, it's a terrible picture, but hopefully you can make it out.
I didn't like it because when I shot it, it dug into the soft bit between finger and thumb, and the bands were to stiff for me. Plus, I wanted to re-shape a bit and put a finish on it.

The next attempt turned out like this: ...

I re-shaped it, sanded it, oiled it, put some wax on it, thinned down the elastic bands, and attached a hand grip of jute twine.
I was quite pleased with this one, but I was still getting fork hits and the shots would go all over the place. I did some research and found out that the way I'd attached the bands to the fork (around the fork) wasn't a very good, as it would sometimes restrict the ammo, especiallly with narrow forks like mine. However, if I was going to re-attach the bands a different way, I would have to cut off the top of both prongs, because they had notches cut into them.
I also thought the handle was to long for my hand and the forks still weren't shaped enough, and the pouch was to big which was also restricting the ammo from flying cleanly.

So I dismantled it and tried again! And ended up with this: ...

I cut off the bottom of the handle and the top of the prongs, then rounded off the square edges. Re-shaped the forks a bit more, the waxed it.
I liked the jute hand grip, but it always came loose, so I took it off. I cut notches for the band, then made the pouch smaller and narrower, then re-attached the bands a different way, over the fork.

I think I'm finally pleased with it, although I would like to put my initials on it somehow.

Thanks for reading this far!

HunterGatherer.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Homemade slingshot attempts
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 4:02pm

You need to use BB Code to imbed your images, not HTML. I fixed it for you. You should also try to get your pics resized to fit in your post better. I don't have the capability to do that for you on my cell.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:42pm

on the flip side of technicalities

woohoo! nice sling shot. I prefer wider forks and very short handles- I hold my sling shots with my index curled around one prong and thumb the other like in a C, with the handle braced against my palm.

Yes, over the top is a much better way of putting on the bands. They can be a little bit of a hassle if your prong tops aren't wide enough, and the bands keep slipping. They can also take a little bit longer to reload, but you probably won't need to rapid fire anyways. In exchange you get great accuracy. 

What bands did you use?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:24pm

Thanks xxkid! Wider forks would have been nice, but it still shoots well. I hold it in a hammer, or a pistol grip.

The bands are from an old motorcycle innertube a friend gave me. They work really well.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:18pm

Put some gold theraband on it and it will zing and if you want to put your makers mark bend some wire to your mark heat red hot and brand it try on old wood first to make sure its how you want it

IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:35pm

Ghost: I would love to use gold theraband, however it's hard to get in NZ, and if you get it of ebay then the shipping can almost double the price.
I'll try the wire idea, thanks!

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 11:24am

I like your process of finding the correctly constructed slingshot.  I`m there myself too.  Shorter handle and smaller pouch is probably something we all must learn the hard way.  My first attempt at an over the top band attatchment (as seen in a parallel thread) lead to a slap on the front of the fingers after each shot, I guess the pouch come back after each shot and hit me.  Have you experienced something like that? 
If not, WHY!!!????!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 3:19pm

if it is sunny enough, get a 6 inch magnifying glass and you can just burn your initials into stuff... be careful. you can both blind yourself and you can SEROUSLY burn yourself.... i found that out. im not blind. But this is more powerful than a lazer.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 3:25pm

Timann: No, I haven't been slapped on the fingers. When I shoot, I tilt the slingshot forward as soon as I release the pouch. Maybe that prevents it?

Squirrelsinger: Thanks! I might try that.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 1:46pm

Okay.  I tried the tilting too and it didn`t help mee.  Today I lowered the forks a bit more and will see if it helps.  I`ll give it a bit of finnish too, I have just been on it with some sandpaper.  A little more whittling and sanding + linseed oil, and it´ll be ready for more testing on saturday, when I hope I`ll experience enough daylight to see what I`m doing.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 11:37pm

Why dont you just chain rubber bands like xxxkid123 did?
it works great, is very powerful, looks good, and is durable.
i admit flat bands are cool, though.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 4:12am

Squirrelslinger: I guess I just like how the flatbands look.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 7:08am

This thread is now into the Index - Other weapons section  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

ninja-slinger
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 7:10pm

Anyone use wrist braces? They're wonderful, until they make a sore spot on your arm.  I wrapped some felt around mine, which helps a little. Undecided  Mine isn't homemade, of course. Embarrassed

IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 6:19pm

Ninja-slinger: the only slingshots I've used so far have been homemade, so no I haven't. Are you sure you need them? I guess if the slingshot has a really powerful pull you would.

Timann: I've just started using gold theraband (thanks Ghost!), and now I'm getting hand and finger slaps, too! I found that by using larger ammo helped considerably. I researched it, and read something about 'excess energy' in the rubber caused hand-slaps. Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)