Send Topic Print
Tanning furs? (Read 3601 times)
farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Tanning furs?
Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:43pm

I have rabbits I raise for meat, and desperately need to learn to tan the furs properly. I have a couple of methods I want to try out, but thought I'd ask around for any advice that folks here have. On other forums I've seen people mentioning everything from dish soap to hydrogen peroxide to tan furs, but nobody gave much detail as to their methods. I'm seeking a detailed description of something simple I can do with materials I can find or make.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Tanning furs?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 8:05pm

Rabbit skins are incredibly thin, you can clean one with your fingernails.  I have seen lots and lots of tanned rabbit skins but I have never attempted to tan one.  This should work, carefully skin the rabbit and stretch the hide, I would use clothspins and a stiff piece of wire bent into a "U" shape.  Make sure there is no tissue on the skin.  Let dry.  You will need to apply some type of oil such as lanolin or glycerin, or a vegetable oil such as olive oil and work it in by rubbing it over a square edge such as the edge of a table.  Stay away from petroleum based oils such as vasoline.  You won't need much.  Some stuff I have used on thicker hides, brains, eggs, eggs and olive oil, olive oil and Ivory soap (glycern) mixed in a blender, Neetsfoot Oil and tanning butter.  The thicker hides I had to salt to remove all the moisture, and all of them have to be stretched out to dry or they will shrivel up as they dry.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 8:07pm

Farmers here uses to fill the skin with straw and leave it this way for a day or two.
By the way we have some threads on tanning here, check the Weapon's Index, section "Other primitive skills"  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 2:56pm

I didn't find what I wanted in the weapon's index, but thanks anyway for making it- I always check there first. This article from mother earth news has about what I wanted, for now:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1983-01-01/How-To-Tan-Rabbit-...

I'll report back after I have tried it. I have a buddy who is currently tanning some of my skins this way, and he seems to like the method, so far.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 6:37pm

Well, thank you for the information, Dave!
I hope everything goes well with your tanning, and keep us informed: I'll add this topic to the index!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 10:00pm

I tan all my hides squirrel deer snakes with 91% rubbing alcohol i soak it in the alcohol then tack it to a board fur down if it has any fat or meat on the skin i scrape it wit a peice of 120 grit sand paper and put in the sun on a hot day it will be tan in less than one hour

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 10:19pm

nice... How to catch rabbits easily? i could use a little extra cash

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 12:20am

FarmerDaves' are pen raised.  You might want to start salvaging roadkill.  Really.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 12:22pm

yes. ive heard that, and my biology teacher already gives me the old dry bones of some of the classes experiments... and i might start skinning the groundhog thats right outside- it got run over by a semi, and the forsenics class is doing a investigation on it. anyway, how hard is it to skin an animal with a scapel? thats all my bio teacher has?(and a saw)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 12:42pm

not hard at all

IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:08am

Ghost, your method seems really simple. Maybe I made all this more complicated than it needs to be in my imagination. I'm going to try that along with budzbunny's hydrogen peroxide tanning and the method from the article. I keep having to put off butchering. I thought I was all ready for winter, till it snowed. I'll take some pics.

@squirrelslinger- Ghost is right- Thats a great tool for the job. I only use a knife to start the job- just cut through the skin around each of the back legs at the ankle, then cut a slit along the inside of each back leg, past the anus under the tail. Cut one more slit around the front of the sex organs. Then, with the animal hanging by one or both back legs, peel back enough skin to get ahold of and just pull off the skin like a sweater. It will be inside out, and usually it tears at the ankle on the front legs, but you might have to cut it if not. If the head is not to damaged, you can skin right up to the ears, then cut the cartilage of the ears and keep going right up to the nose. With the young rabbits I raise for meat the skin comes off easily with little fat, but larger or older animals might require a little more cutting. I'd just use the scalpel to cut only the trouble spots, and something like a tongue depressor to slip between the flesh and skin to do most of the skinning. I like to skin this way because I end up with less fur on the meat, but if the meat is not a concern you could do it differently. Good luck.

Side note- I saw rabbit skins at hobby lobby the other day selling for $11.95 apiece, and these were kind of stiff, bloodstained and a little smelly. I'm sure I could do better, and those prices might make it worth selling some. What I really want is a traditional paiute rabbit skin blanket. The tanned skins are cut in a spiral pattern so you end up with a strip of furred skin maybe 1 1/2" wide and as long as possible. This is then wrapped fur side out around some stronger string stretched onto a loom, and more of the same "rabbit yarn" is woven through the warp to bake a blanket. I believe the traditional ones were skinned and cut so that the eye-holes were at the ends to be used to join one piece to the next, and the ears were left on. Supposed to be real warm, but I've heard that they shed a lot.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:23pm

I had a rabbit skin blanket and pillow case looked good but could not sleep on it because it felt like bugs were crawling on your face

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 3:15pm

Hmmmm...... but about having animal skin in my locker?
not gonna work....

IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 11:55am

Can that teacher help you find a place to keep it (them)? A freezer will keep the skins ok until you get to them- probably not the cafeteria freezer, though. I ran across a recipe for tanning where you just soak the fresh skin in 1 once borax to each gallon of water for 3-5 days before fleshing. If you had a place to put a bucket, you could just chuck it in and come back later. You should stir it twice a day, and keep it at room temp. Or you can stretch and dry the skins. If you have skinned them as I described above and cleaned them up pretty well, you should be able to dry them. I use a 4' section of black landscape hose, folded in half and shoved fold-first into the skin from the back end. then just hang it up somewhere shady to dry. I've gotten pretty good at stockpiling furs, without tanning them. They're not hard to preserve.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 7:13pm

Hmmmm..... it might just work. My bio teacher is probably wierd enough that none of the other teachers will question it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)