Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll Poll
Question: Which FAQ format do you prefer?

« Created by: Masiakasaurus on: Nov 15th, 2012 at 5:01pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FAQ QUESTION (Read 5738 times)
Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
FAQ QUESTION
Nov 15th, 2012 at 5:01pm

This is a straightforward question for all members AND guests. Which do you like better? A single list (like Aussie's FAQ's) or nested topics (like Mauro's Weapons Index). Comment for any suggestions or improvements you have.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: FAQ QUESTION
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 7:00am

I went list.

The nest is very organized, but I think it could be a little annoying to people unused to searching or new to the forum.

Also, the list lets you see other topics as well. So that when you're searching for one thing, you inevitably click on 3 more topics on the way there because they interest you.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:17pm

x2

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 3:00pm

I like it as is. Easy to use and well organized.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 3:46pm

I don't care as long as they exist Wink (Great Job!)
The list is very good if you look for inspiration. If you want specific information about only a certain topic, the nested one is clearly faster.
As long as the lists don't get too long, I prefer lists as I'm usually also looking for inspiration.

Masia: Are you planning to make a new list about something or to reorganize the current ones?

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 4:37pm

As a librarian, I prefer nested informations, neatly organised for when you need it.

But since I know how much work it involve (hey, I just said that I was a librarian !) and I like chaos... I find lists awesome.

So all in all, I can't decide ! Mad Monkey

Do as you want, Ô thou powerful ones !

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 5:46am

I voted list: I remember the weapon's index was born as a list, but then we felt the need to reorganize it in the current way because it was a little bit too caothic.
But as you said above, that is a specific index which will guide you (hopefully ahahah) to a specific discussion.
A list is better for FAQs because it has the objective to cover a wider range of matters and thoughts, in my opinion  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 9:01am

I'm too lazy to go back an reorganize the current two indices of information. This is more for future use when setting up a new index/FAQ/huge-group-o-stuff.

I prefer the nested topics, myself. I'd rather get to the information I need without having to scroll through a lot of irrelevant information. Moderation wise they're a fairly equal amount of work on my end. Judging by the poll, more people like lists. Judging by the responses, we're split between list and no clear preference.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 10:49am

lol what you actually mean is that everyone but you prefers a list Smiley

Told you so  Grin

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:27pm

I like the nest if I am looking for something specific.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 11:48am

the thing I like about lists is the sheer ability for distraction.

9 times out of 10 you start looking for one thing and end up reading up on half a dozen others.

As procrastination is my biggest fault, I'm a natural list person Smiley

At the end of the day I'm just grateful that people have seen fit to use their time to construct any kind of faq/information/index system Thumbs Up

it's all good Smiley

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 9:14am

It's kinda funny that I saw this cause I've been noodling organization all night trying to decide on the best way to organize the Slinging Sport board.  How does one create a nested set-up?  Personally, I'm one on the fence as well. 
    On the one hand, I quite like the list because of my exposure to the other cool stuff I might not have even known about had I not been forced to look at them while searching for something..
    *puts on Moderator hat* But on the other hand, I think that for organizing an actual system(not to mention being easier on my ADHD), I would find nesting much more useful and/or helpful...  What do you guys think?   Undecided

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:46am

Ask mas Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 6:49am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 30th, 2012 at 11:48am:
At the end of the day I'm just grateful that people have seen fit to use their time to construct any kind of faq/information/index system Thumbs Up

it's all good Smiley  

Though I voted list I agree with the above statement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)