Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How does lead ammo shoot? (Read 7258 times)
Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: How does lead ammo shoot?
Reply #30 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:23pm

jlasud wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 12:59pm:
Jabames wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 2:13am:
My slinging style is a powerful Byzantine style throw,  I'm 5'10",  will a nylon Balearic sling with leather on the pouch work?

How long is your sling? optimal ammo weight greatly depends on it. From your pic you look quite young and probably slim-average. If you want it to go the farthest,i would suggest a 2oz lead for you.
For slinging lead,especially lighter ones 2-3oz,a sling with thin cords,and small pouch is the most ideal\optimal.
If you just want to sling a few,it doesn't matter much.

I'm like wide shouldered,  built like a tank right now,  I used to be slim when I was about 16-18 years old.  My sling be about 30 inches for short sling,  45-50 inches for a long sling.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #31 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:42pm

Try 2 oz, and 3 oz. Probably you could get the 2 oz farther. Nothing can replace first hand experience.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #32 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 5:24am

I agree with the more advanced slingers that the best way to get accuracy is through consistantly learning to throw biconicals correctly.  But, even an experienced slinger can benefit from a well tuned projectile!
   Here's a design I was working on that uses the same kind of stabilizing technique that I saw employed on certain missiles while in the service.  It basically consists of a biconical projectile like normal, with grooves that are carved into the rear half of the glande.  The grooves start off shallow and gradually deepen as the approach the rear.  The grooves should be cut in a very gradual arc as well.    The grooves act like fins, with much less drag.  Of course if you are slinging heavier ammo, the arc in the grooves would need to be more pronounced.  I'd give you the formulae for this, but I can barely mutiply and divide fractions, so trial and error is the only way to go!

Picture1.bmp (322 KB | )
Picture1.bmp

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #33 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 6:42pm

LightSlinger,
   do you plan on producing these pieces of ammunition in any quantity? can you make a tutorial of making the mold for them so those of us with less in the way of motor- and metalworking-skills would have a chance of trying them out?

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #34 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 1:04am

woodssj wrote on Nov 16th, 2012 at 6:42pm:
LightSlinger,
  do you plan on producing these pieces of ammunition in any quantity? can you make a tutorial of making the mold for them so those of us with less in the way of motor- and metalworking-skills would have a chance of trying them out?

Well, I certainly hope so!  I don't have any metalworking skills myself at all so any tutorial written would probably be for making Glandes out of clay or something like that but, I think that it should be similar in any case.  I've already been working on the tutorial actually, so when I get a working mold put together and a few Glandes made, I'll put it up!

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #35 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 1:44am

for a lead mold,a regular mold would have to be made,and while the clay is wet,the grooves will have to be engraved with a toothpick.Here's the tutorial.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #36 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 7:01am

Here's the basic Idea I was going with for the tutorial on how to make the molds. 
#1.  Get lots of Clay.
#2.  Make clay into two thick rectangular blocks of equal measurements.
#3.  Get the Glande that I already made earlier.
#4.  Press Glande lengthwise halfway down into the Clay in order to make an impression.
#5.  Repeat step #4 as many times as is reasonable for both rectangular blocks of clay.
#6.  Take Blocks somewhere with a Kiln and fire those bad boys (preferably after glazing them).  Presto!  Glande Molds!
#7.  Use Glande Molds to make Glandes!
#8.  Feel more confident in your ability to hold off the zombie hordes with your Customized, Rifled, Optimal Skull Smashers (Or CROSS ammo for short!)

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #37 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:04pm

how about lead covered with fired ceramic I love the diamond shape by the way

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #38 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:32pm

The rifling ideas interesting

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)