Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How does lead ammo shoot? (Read 7257 times)
Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
How does lead ammo shoot?
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 7:52pm

Football shaped or similar,  does it shoot like a football or does it spin horizontally in the direction of the shot.  Or does it tumble?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: How does lead ammo shoot?
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:29pm

clay shoots like lead. clay more or less tumbles with anything but bloodline in my personal experiance.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:36pm

I see

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 8:44pm

Depending on the position of your hand during your release you can get it to do what ever you wish.   I think it would be at its best spinning like a football, with rifled spin.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:01pm

true. try embedding a string in one end as you cast it. it will make it stableize itself so it will fly point first.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:23pm

I made a rough template as to what we can do to stabilize the flight of the sling bullet.  Though idk what velocity the fins would start working,  I know from using small footballs with similar fins they start stabilizing the flight almost right away.  It would be interesting to see how a sling bullet with fins would function,  probably more range,  along with stabilization=better retained velocity etc

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:34pm

If i recall correctly, slinging with a wide grip (the retention cord is a few fingers away from the release cord), causes the sling to roll the ammo out. As the stone naturally stabilizes, it keeps the spin from the roll and you get rifled spin.

I don't throw with consistent ammo, so I don't know how I'm throwing honestly.

I don't know how effective fins would be for lead ammo, the point of lead ammo is to fly farther, and the fins only add a lot more resistance.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:36pm

Or perhaps this

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:37pm

It's counter intuitive. Low density/light weight projectiles fly further with find because the fine help stabilize them. High density projectiles fly worse with fins because they don't affect flight as much but create the same amount of drag (or more) as if they were on the lighter projectile. Sling projectiles tend to spin a lot as well, so a lead nerf football would need helical fletching to not prevent the projectile from spinning and the helical fletch would create even more drag. And the fine would need to be really big and paddle shaped to prevent tumble, now that I think about it.

The best idea I've come up with for self stabilizing amo is an egg shape with a hollow cavity in the small end to lower the density on that side. It would stabilize like a badminton birdie without suffering from too much drag once it does stabilize (hopefully). Or you could just learn to sling biconicals the right way...

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:39pm

They would probably add drag I'm thinking

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:53pm

The way I always understood it, fins always = drag. It's a way of using drag to effect directional flight.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 9:58pm

Yeah man seems legit,  fins or wings on an airplane keep it in flight;  maybe its like a controlled drag or somethin idk. 

Another idea,  I'm jusst brainstorming,  a sling bullet with 3 layers idk if it would help.  The densest part would be in the center,  less dense material would be second layer,  and the 3rd and final layer would be something like copper

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:33pm

I believe that any reduction of density for a projectile of a constant mass will result in an increase in volume/size.  As long as your section or diameter (think head-on view) does not increase, you should gain stability in flight.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:10am

If you make the projectile asymmetrical, such that one end is heavier than the other, then the heavier end should end up facing the ground.  With a high enough velocity, wind resistance will adjust the orientation of the projectile such that the heavier end is facing the target, and the lighter end is facing you.  If the tail were to rise (ie lighter side), its wind resistance would increase, which would return it to its previous orientation.  If the tail were to drop (unlikely, due to the asymmetrical distribution of weight), the same would happen. 

How much heavier you should make the heavy end is subject to experimentati

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:40am

First the ammunition needs to be symmetrical at least in two planes.Round cross section so it doesn't tumble,vibrate in air,also it can roll out of the pouch smoothly.The construction of the pouch also can help or ruin this.
A balearic type split pouch is ideal for biconicals.
Then,the slinger should do his job to deliver a rifle spin.
The best probably an overhand with the palm, facing the target,CORDS ARE PARALLEL,not twisted in any way.
The projectile placed precisely across the pouch.
The more elongated the projectile,the harder it  is to rifle spin it.
2 times as long as wide is easy to rifle spin.
3 times as long as wide is tricky.
4 times as long as wide is quite challenging.
I like the 2.5 times as long as wide formula. Many of the ancient ones are like that too.
This applies to every kind of material made ammo.
Doesn't worth attaching fins IMO. i've cast lead ammo with fins,made clay ammo with fins. It may help with a fooled rifle spin,but causes huge drag usually. The elongated football shape is  so efficient,it just has to be launched properly.
No need for different density layers and other wonders.
A nicely designed and cast lead that's slung properly will fly like a bullet.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15)