Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I've learnt something today. (Read 3609 times)
PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
I've learnt something today.
Sep 23rd, 2012 at 7:26am

Hello all.
Firstly, WOO! I learnt the figure 8 style today. I couldn't seem to get the hang of it before. Smiley And of around 100 throws, all of them went forwards. Tongue

Secondly, I have learnt why you shouldn't make slings out of denim. It frays and eventually tears, as I'm sure many of you would guess. Luckily it tore after I had released the projectile.

It was raining, but I hardly even noticed because I was having so much fun lobbing stones around 80 yards (which, for a noob, I don't think is too bad  Cool)

PandaMan

p.s. sorry mods if this is in the wrong place.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: I've learnt something today.
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:39pm

right spot Smiley

Yeah when you first get fig 8 it really is great. And then you wonder how you never got it before.

Where did the pouch tear ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 3:17pm

It tore at the pouch hole on the loop side of the sling, which kinda makes sense.

I look forward to having my first 'proper' sling that won't tear after 100 throws. Cheesy

IP Logged

vegemite
Tiro

Oakland, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:32pm

Congrats from another beginner.  One thing that helps me is to practice new strokes indoors with soft ammo like balled up piece of cloth or paper.  This way I develop some muscle memory and better margin of safety before I throw with rocks.

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:39pm

vegemite wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 4:32pm:
Congrats from another beginner.  One thing that helps me is to practice new strokes indoors with soft ammo like balled up piece of cloth or paper.  This way I develop some muscle memory and better margin of safety before I throw with rocks.

That's probably good advice. I went straight to stones whilst learning figure 8 and, whilst nothing went wrong, it would have been less risky to start with lighter, softer projectiles.

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:35am

Nice going Panda Man! Once you get the right "feel" you have it. It was a long time ago for me but once I learned it, it has never gone away. Just like riding a bicycle.

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:50am

I started making my first pouches out of denim too. There's a very easy fix for this. Put a piece of duct tape on each side and then make the holes through all three layers, I have slings that I've used for years that are made like that.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 10:57am

Dan wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:50am:
I started making my first pouches out of denim too. There's a very easy fix for this. Put a piece of duct tape on each side and then make the holes through all three layers, I have slings that I've used for years that are made like that.

That's a pretty good idea Cheesy Thanks.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:10pm

PandaMan wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 10:57am:
Dan wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:50am:

That's a pretty good idea Cheesy Thanks.

No problem bro, that's what we're here for.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:30pm

PandaMan wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 3:17pm:
It tore at the pouch hole on the loop side of the sling, which kinda makes sense.

I look forward to having my first 'proper' sling that won't tear after 100 throws. Cheesy

Have you tried looking into getting one of those pouches Aussie gives out? It's a simple, well-cupped pouch made from old conveyor belting, which lasts a long time and apparently doesn't go out of style. I have yet to retire one, in fact. The only catch is that you supply your own cords, which is ridiculously easy. Smiley

EDIT: I just looked for the thread with the info, but couldn't get it to work. It looks like Masi screwed up when he "moved" the thread to a different sub-forum. Wink
I'm pretty sure the offer still stands though, so try PMing Aussie if your interested in some.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:50pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:30pm:
EDIT: I just looked for the thread with the info, but couldn't get it to work. It looks like Masi screwed up when he "moved" the thread to a different sub-forum. Wink
I'm pretty sure the offer still stands though, so try PMing Aussie if your interested in some.

Nope, it's still in the Trading Post right where I left it. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169030739/646

Messed up when looking, you did. Perhaps this is what you were referring to? http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1315610675

Aussie's thread is now stickied to be easier to find, but it was right there on the first page.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:58pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:50pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:30pm:

Nope, it's still in the Trading Post right where I left it. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1169030739/646

Messed up when looking, you did. Perhaps this is what you were referring to? http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1315610675

Aussie's thread is now stickied to be easier to find, but it was right there on the first page.

Yup, that's it Smiley

(I know what you really did though: you must've magically fixed it with your Mod powers, then claimed that I simply missed it. I'm never wrong, afterall!  Cool)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 3:09pm

No, I thought asking Aussie would be a pain since he's in Australia...? But anyway, C_A kindly said he'd send me one of his slings so there's no need.
Also I should be getting some paracord in the post soon so I'll weave one from that.

It seems there are just too many generous people on here  Grin

IP Logged

Rofriedrich

Psalm 140:7

Texas
Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 3:53pm

PandaMan, those Aussie pouches are great. I just used my second one as a shorter sling and it works awesomely.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 4:57pm

Pandaman, if you only have one time to trust the rest of the world, it's when everybody tell you to immediatly go ask Aussie for a pouch (politely).
You don't even have to take a plane or going there swimming.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)