Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in Hunger Games (maybe?) (Read 6798 times)
teenageslinger

Michigander Slinger

Michigan, United States
Re: Slinging in Hunger Games (maybe?)
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 11:20am

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:22pm:
Wow. If they already had some skill, and were able to practice in the capital....
Anyway, please excuse this if it offends anyone, but I do NOT like the hunger games. or any book like that.
the person who wrote it made it a good book, but DO NOT rely on it for any sort of advice on primitive weapons.... I have some split arrows to prove it!
and other stuff.........
for that matter, do not rely on any one source for information!
(I sorta despise quite a few books.....) They are horrendously inaccurate!!!!!!
EDIT- I was ranting sooo much I forgot about the sling! NICE sling!!!!!!
How does it throw?
it looks cool, but which cord is release and which is retention?

I agree.
The book was so inaccurate.

He holds success in store for the upright,&&    he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,&&Proverbs 2:7

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:16pm

Dudes, "Hunger Games" is a love story.  It is set in a "combat" setting for excitment and to carry the plot, cause it really doesn't have one.  Plot, I mean.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:21pm

I don't know exactly what temperature I hit when its as soft as I like it to be...over 100°C though, I use a heat gun and a rag to shield my hand from the hot plastic when I shape it.

No particular projectiles in mind, just wanted something a little prettier than a caulk tube.

And the carbon fiber finish is a lot easier done than said.   Find some suitable screen material for a mask.  Regular old bug window screen doesn't work, it is too open.  On this project I used a drywall sanding screen for a pole sander. Solar screen might be good, perhaps lawn chair webbing, you'll have to get creative here.
1. Lay a base coat of black. Let dry.
2. Apply screen and spray your dark grey, I've used a dark metallic Gunmetal color with outstanding results, but a nice smoke grey will do fine.
3. Shift the mask up a tiny bit, and maybe over a smudge too..trial and error are your best friends here. Lightly spray your silver....not much more than a dusting...too much silver is super easy to do and it looks super fake.
4. This one is optional but sometimes it really helps sell the effect. Ever so slightly rotate the screen.  I'm talking like one degree of rotation. Dust with your black again. Do this more at any curves. It creates a moire effect that mimics the fiber tugging and skewing that happens when laying real fiber cloth.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:28pm

The carbon fiber effect actually sounds pretty easy!

I quite like the hunger games: tons of political intrigue, psychology, and a realistic take on PTSD recovery. Plus some gooey stuff and fighting for garnish.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:32pm

I thought the first book of the Hunger Games was exceptionally well-written.  Yeah, it's a teen book, but it's a very tightly-crafted teen book.  I thought the second was less good than the first, and the third less good than the second, but overall, as a series - quite solid.  I agree with Masi, it's a good look at PTSD for young people.  The woman who wrote it was an air force brat, and drew on some of her dad's experiences.  As to the archery - there's nothing that really was glaring for me.  Nock/notch, whatever, I'm not that picky.  Sometimes adding in a ton of technical detail bogs down your prose.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:01am

^This.

I love the sling design! I want to make one now Smiley

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:47am

When its not vital, I hear what I want to hear, and with the HG I remember what I wanted to rember the most. The fighting, the survival, the government oppresion, the resistance, and the PTSD are what were most memorable to me after the books and I forgot all about the love story.
And it allows me to talk about fighting and survival stuff with people that would normally never even think about those things.  Smiley

The movie promptly reminded me the love story is the prime plot.  Wink

Still waiting for the review/test of that sling Arcane.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 1:32pm

[quote author=Dan]

Still waiting for the review/test of that sling Arcane.  Smiley [/quote]

Took it out on the lake with a sausage shaped 100g. Stone today.  It is very consistent, I could be relatively accurate with it compared to other conventional slings.  It'll never take any distance awards, averaging 75m, but this may have been related to the thrower's full snow gear and the poor ammunition.  It has a wicked follow through and loses no noticeable momentum after release, I can blame the pouch weight mostly but all captive release slings seem to behave that way.
The stone I used did tumble as expected, but it was far from the violent buzzing, distance/accuracy- killing spin that a conventional pouch would impart on such a poor projectile.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)