Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Newspaper Kubaton for self-defense (Read 13101 times)
mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Newspaper Kubaton for self-defense
Sep 12th, 2012 at 1:45am

I imagine there aren't many six-foot-one, 250 pounders who frequent this forum(myself excluded Grin).  Also, I am sure not many of you are capable of fending off an attacker by force alone.  Furthermore, as many of you may well live in countries that do not allow use of "deadly weapons" in defense of life and well-being.  Finally, even if you have a sling and stone, the gap between you and an aggressor is bridged in seconds.  Allow me to give you a force-multiplier that is ubiquitous and available for pennies or free from an obliging trash bin:  The newspaper kubaton!  

Simply take a section from your newspaper, or in my case 30 pages from the 2012-2013 Oregon Game Bird Regulations booklet.  Roll it up length-wise to create a cylinder with an inner-diameter of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.  Flatten the cylinder as best you can, then bend it in the middle.  The resulting corners in the bend are dense and quite hard, capable of inflicting maximum damage with a minimum of force exertion.  Hold it with the corners facing down in your fist and punch with it; almost as you would normally.

This is used for striking at soft spots, pressure points and unprotected nerves on an adversary's body.  It can be used to save your hand must you punch through a window, although would be ineffective on auto safety glass.

Most people who are trained in self-defense are constantly aware of their surroundings, having these extra few moments of  situational awareness will save your life, regardless, but may allow you to form this defensive weapon in just seconds, in anticipation of an attack or encounter.  This is not a gimmick; it works, it hurts like hell, and you CAN kill or destroy property easily with this weapon, so exercise extreme discretion in it's use.  

Lastly, you may already be aware of this device if you live in Great Britain, Spain, Mexico, Germany, or one of the other countries where soccer riots erupt. Roll Eyes  These have been used in such brawls and because of it, papers may banned at larger matches in such countries.

Disclaimer:  I only show this in the hopes that this knowledge may help someone defend themselves from violence, not in the hopes that one would use it as an aggressive weapon.

PS:  Sorry mods, C-A, etc...  I am somewhat handicapped regarding the resizing of images.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Newspaper Kubaton for self-defense
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 2:32am

How effective is this? I hit my friends (and vice versa) with things similar to these (usually just a few sheets of homework stacked together and rolled and bent over), and other than being a minor annoyance, they didn't do much.

Either that or the paper we were using was two soft, since it seemed to cushion the impact rather than being a hard blunt object.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

mitchrobinson

"Speak softly and carry
a big stick"

Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 2:50am

Try it with the amount of sheets suggested.  Also, hitting your buddy and striking in defense of life and limb are polar opposites.  Newspaper is softer paper than most as it is.  The only reason I can think it is used is availability.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 6:50am

Ah yes the "Millwall brick" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_brick ; I know of it, I've never actually made one and tried on a target. I should do that sometime.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 7:05am

I wonder when someone will open some topics giving suggestions about how to make good love... I imagine not many of you are capable to cause pleasure without using strange pills...  Undecided
And I'm perfectly serious!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:01am

I'm going to ignore mauro's post, and move on to the OP.  Wink

I think it's important to have a 'aware' mindset, always looking to what will give you a distinct advantage over the enemy. Almost anything can be used as some kind of improvised weapon, and will most likely help you out one way or another.

I've seen this newspaper trick before but it was used for breaking glass not people. Concept applies both ways, to the vast majority of people, it will work better than your hand.

FYI, if you happen to use one of these newspapers as is for SD in the near future. It's a thrusting weapon. There's even a Game called 'beat your buddy bloody' where you hit someone with a newspaper (it's quite fun btw). But if you hit them as shown it's a lot stronger, hence why it can break glass so easily.

I personally might just throw the whole newspaper at the guy and run, or if I had to, counter attack. I've been working with my hands and feet so long it'd be more of a hinderence to me to limit what I can do with my hand by holding this news paper as shown than using my fist as is. JMHO.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:24am

Don't ignore it Dan, because I'd be really curious to know why our friend tought we - as a community - would be interested in making a weapon capable for our self defense.
Are we as a community interested in how to make good love? I don't think so.

Really, my curiosity is sincere, do we look like a community of people who would be ready to answer violence to violence?
Or did I miss something?!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:31am

Well, "make love not war" is a fine sentiment and one that's missed from my youth in the 60s.....

However, it takes two to tango (or make love) while it only takes one to cause violence.   And when some loon causes violence that violence must be addressed in some way.   I'm in the business of addressing violence in a confrontational manner.

So philosophically we would all be better off with Mauro's attitude, but as practical human beings we must also be prepared for contingencies.
Impact weapons are....Iffy.  I have used them at times during my career.  My experience has not been all that positive.  Whacking people with pain-producing objects is very effective when they are in a normal state of mind, but usually folks who are attacking you are not in a normal state.
They are very often enraged or drunk or chemically-altered or some such thing.   And such people are often remarkably tolerant of pain.
I recall having quite a tussel with a nice lady who was both drunk and under the influence of prescription drugs.  She had struck several cars in a parking lot, and when I tried to restrain her from leaving the area on foot she attacked me with her purse, and bit me.
I decided that was quite enough and arrested her.   In the course of trying to get her into the police car, she was violently kicking the door open...
So... I was carrying a kubotan-type device at the time, and I used it to whack her on the ankle bone.   This was a blow that would bring tears to the eyes of an NFL fullback.    Didn't affect her in the slightest.

I ceased carrying the thing.     Since then, many years down the pike, I now tend to rely on pepper spray.
Works a treat, in my experience.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 9:53am

In Robert Jordan's The wheel of time series he creates a culture that is emphatically nonviolent. The adherents call it "the way of the leaf" and they will not fight. Not even in self defense. They do try to avoid physical confrontations because even being the victim of violence harms the person who commits the act. As a tree dulls (damages) the blade of an ax. This comes along with a philosophy of acceptance. If they are to die, then they are to die. It is not dissimilar to the Ahimsa philosophy of the east though I personally see it as being closer to Satyagraha. I highly recommend reading "shadow of the hegemon" by Orson Scott Card for a more complete idea of what it means. It means to bear what must be born, not passive resistance. Which is also similar to Confucious teachings.

While I respect that, I disagree with it. Force, violence are not inherently evil in my view. I do what I can to live in peace with my fellow man. But at the end of the day I want to be more skilled at violence so that I can protect my pack if I have to.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:27am

What I want to know, is if we agree to be a forum of people telling others how to build a weapon "just in case" or if we agree to be a forum who study historical, archaeological and anthropological aspects of slinging and other martial arts - not even considerating the possibility to use them against other people.

Please remember that we're daily visited by some 2 million of persons.
They see this topic (similar others have been banned long ago).
Each of them make a newspaper kubaton for self-defense.
Then some of them get drunk and hit someone other (purposely or not).
Moral, we, the members of slinging.org, gave them the weapon.

Also remember that while in certain parts of the world you love to live with a gun at home, or to live in the constant fear (or "awareness", at your likings) that someone may attack you, people elsewhere don't have this problem (or are more "reckless", at your likings again).
And being an international forum, it'd be good and smart that we as a forum keep a neutral position about the possibility to produce, carry and use any weapon, discussing the possibility that it may be actively used against another human being.

PS: mitchrobinson, please note that mine is not an accusation to you as a person, but as a forum member. Being a "newbie" here you may not have seen other discussions similar to this one; they cyclically happens and this is just another chance to discuss how we want to behave as a virtual community. In short, nothing personal  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:15am

Mauro, I just want to let you know that everything still works, and so far, I don't need any weird chemicals. Grin

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as often as it did when I was 25. Cry

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:17am

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:24am:
.. I'd be really curious to know why our friend tought we - as a community - would be interested in making a weapon capable for our self defense ..
Is the sling a weapon or is it not?? Folded paper is  just another weapon .. My question is are we a specific weapon forum or an all weapons forum? I tend to believe we as a forum are a specific weapon forum. If you want to see a topic for a different weapon die .. just don't respond and that topic will soon  fall to the bottom of the topics.. responding to a topic will keep it in view. Paper is as valid as a weapon as is a knapped point , or flail, or armor .. or sling .. What is the big deal?

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:51am

Steven, this is what the forum stands for:
Quote:
I hope this website can be the definitive source for slinging related information and news. Of course, it needs a community of slingers to experiment and pass on their knowledge. With your help, I hope we can rekindle interest in this truly simple, effective, and historically significant weapon

...and... Quote:
The sling continues to be used in various smaller conflicts and by enthusiasts to this day

I forge iron and steel knives and short swords, can make effective bow and arrows, but I never tought to use them against someone, not even if I'm under attack.
The big deal is: how many topics you see that are entitled:"Knapped knife for self-defense"? "Picenian short sword for self-defense"? "Trebuchet for self-defense"?
And the older members of the forum can tell you that we already discussed this topic (re-producing weapons and the possibility to use them against someone) and we came to the conclusion not to discuss it anymore.
Everything can be a weapon, even your bare thumb if you stick it in your opponent's eye; I think we have to decide if we are a peaceful forum (of people who does not think obsessively at the possibility of being attacked) or not.
For the sake of friendship and quiet life here.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:52am

Bill, I have ice in my underpants since last Saturday, pheeew!  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 12:40pm

In the first place, I doubt that I'll have access to a newspaper or time to roll it up if I'm attacked.

I live in a place where there is no shortage of malefactors but don't really worry about physical confrontations. I don't look like a victim, I have some training in the "use" of my hands, and I've picked up a couple of tricks from an ex-MP and other sources. However if I do get into one of these situations, I doubt that sweet love will come into play. I like to keep sex and violence separate as much as possible. 

Disagree that it only takes one for violence to happen. You need a hittor and a hittee.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)