Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Joerg Sprave FINALLY ,mentions,shows slings (Read 11794 times)
JoergS
Tiro

Weaponizing rubber since

Re: Joerg Sprave FINALLY ,mentions,shows slings
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 7:10am

So here I am... feels good!

It's true, my body isn't made for speed or elegance - but strength. I plan to sling the 60mm massive steel balls my friend "Kugel Winnie" sent to me a while ago.

What I am currently looking at is a portable staff sling (or hoopack) that is attached to another stick (or maybe two), cockable like a trebuchet. I plan to use rubber instead of gravity (what else) to swing the staff.

The "release" fork tip can be adjusted so the angle of the shot changes.

My goal is to make a portable trebuchet that can be cocked and fired in a very short time. The outcome may be seen as a "sling robot" really, hopefully with a very repeatable mechansim that will allow some accuracy even for the untrained shooter.

What do you guys think?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 7:55am

Zuallererst: Herzlich Willkommen Jörg!

When you say sling robot I think of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAtdsDTt__s ;  Wink
A really nice apache (if you consider "him" as a slinger) or trebuchet throw with good accuracy Wink
Although I think it will be hard to construct a similar thing with wood and rubber...

IP Logged

JoergS
Tiro

Weaponizing rubber since

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:11am

Awesome video!

I want to make something much smaller, really the same size as a staff sling - but with a lock and trigger mechanism, to rule out operator errors.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:24pm

Joerg, I`m not sure but wouldn`t even a hoopac style staff sling require a release mecanism to function properly?  Like one cord fixed on one part of the Y and some sort of release on the other.  Or two fixed cords on the Y and one third cord that release at just the right moment.  That`s what I used on my dart/cestrospendone hoopak (that project has been sleeping  well for some time now).

Your construction should work perfectly fine with a standard staff sling too, but of course that would be less of a challenge.  I really look forward to see where this goes, but don`t forget to practise with your hand sling as well.  You  already use Apache style for simplicity, you got some serious built-in power, when you can aim those shots you can have lots of fun within reasonable distances.  I`d love to see you sling at ballistic gel Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:52pm

That's right, the hoopak uses a slide-off release for one of the cords just like the regular staff sling. The advantage of the hoopak is that it delivers a rifle-spun release every time and so it works well with biconical ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QjFam33ng8

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:57pm

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:19pm

JoergS wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 7:10am:
So here I am... feels good!

I plan to sling the 60mm massive steel balls my friend "Kugel Winnie" sent to me a while ago.

Welcome Joerg!
Sling 60mm steel balls are perfect for crunching.

IP Logged

JoergS
Tiro

Weaponizing rubber since

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:52am

David Morningstar wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:57pm:
Also, Joerg, I think these videos would be useful for your hand-sling skill:

Thanks for the links!

This may be a stupid question... but on the figure eight style, why does it help to bring the sling behind your back first? Why can't you simply start the swing from that position?

It seems to me that you have to change the swing direction by pretty much 180 degrees for the final throwing motion. So you do not retain any of the momentum generated by the earlier steps. In fact, you have to negate it first.

What have I missed?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:17am

with fig 8 it's because the momentum is maintained and increases that makes it so effective.

When done properly it's a really smooth natural motion.

I tend to use a flatter rear section than most people which gives me a faster throw, albeit one that requires more strength, but puts a lot more stress on your joints. Might suit you better.
you can see in this video how the whole throw just works as one compound movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQannIFnMI&feature=relmfu

The more traditional fig 8 suits longer slings, but also has the same roller coaster acceleration principles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=y_KiObfGKOc&NR=1

What do the 60mm balls weigh ?

I'm guessing  a few pounds at least. With that kind of weight a sidearm or balearic sidearm style would probably be better.
The kind of stress that fig 8 places on the elbow, is pretty extreme with heavy weights.

One other thing you might want to look at is the murlin style of trebuchet. It's a lot more compact, generates more power and could possibly be configured for multiple shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKA2eUneyj4

Using rubber power you could lose the top tower and simply keep the wheel and the base.

Oh yeah and do you have any plans or a tutorial for the repeater pencil crossbow ?
I'd like to have a go at making one of those Smiley

For a repeater sling you defintiely want to use a 'captive pouch' design. This negates the need for the release cord to be retrieved between each throw. Resetting the pouch is almost as simple as recocking a trigger mechanism.

Thomas makes the best and is definitely the forum expert on captive pouch slings - should be links to it in the FAQ section. If not jax should have contact info (thomas is his dad Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:54am

I may be completely mistaken, but it seems as though the figure 8 throw creates a situation that takes the projectile on a clothoid loop and actually increases tangential velocity.  

based on my experience with the figure 8 throw(I don't use it for much more than novelty because I can't hit a damn thing with it) is that I can achieve similar velocities with less physical effort.

Like Curious Aardvark, I'm sort of curious if doing something similar to a MURLIN trebuchet with rubber would work well.  because of the difference between the gravitational constant of a counterweight and the dynamic force of rubber, one might have to reverse the order of arm length or differ a profile if a cam is used instead of arms.  It might even be neat to take advantage of the differing properties of various bands and tubes  at each arm, using them as endpoints instead of waypoints.

by my math, a 60mm steel ball should weigh 888.92g

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #25 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:59am

A murlin with a strong rubber....now that should be efficient and damn fast..

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #26 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:00pm

What a nice surprise to have Joerg as a member here Cheesy

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #27 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:02pm

JoergS wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:52am:
David Morningstar wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:57pm:
Also, Joerg, I think these videos would be useful for your hand-sling skill:

Thanks for the links!

This may be a stupid question... but on the figure eight style, why does it help to bring the sling behind your back first? Why can't you simply start the swing from that position?

It seems to me that you have to change the swing direction by pretty much 180 degrees for the final throwing motion. So you do not retain any of the momentum generated by the earlier steps. In fact, you have to negate it first.

What have I missed?

It has more momentum,speed and more tension on the cords as a simple apache. A fig8 has a lot more power potential than a apache throw.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #28 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:59pm

Arcane Tinker wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:54am:
I

Sounds right.
I have Lead ball  ϕ 43mm=455g (ϕ 1.7inch= 16oz)

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #29 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 3:48pm

timpa wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:59pm:
Arcane Tinker wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:54am:
I

Sounds right.
I have Lead ball  ϕ 43mm=455g (ϕ 1.7inch= 16oz)

Your lead may be slightly alloyed or my math might be slightly wrong, but with a 43mm diameter, a pure lead sphere should weigh 472g by my math.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris)