Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Polynesian Weapons Pictures (Mostly for Paleoarts) (Read 11774 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Polynesian Weapons Pictures (Mostly for Paleoarts)
Sep 8th, 2012 at 12:38am

I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks in Hawaii this summer, and made a visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Right in the front gate, they have several cases with a variety of items on display from each of the major cultures, including weapons.

I thought y'all might be interested in seeing what they had. The pictures aren't that great, because I took them with my cell phone, and the light and glare off the glass weren't cooperating. All I can say is, I'm going to need shark's teeth. Lots and lots of shark's teeth...

And finally, in it's own case is this one:

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the spiritual leader of a worldwide religion would need with this thing, but it's still pretty cool.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Re: Polynesian Weapons Pictures (Mostly for Paleoa
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 1:02am

There are some REALLY cool clubs and things there man!  Did you see the one with the birds head and what looks like a sideways celt head embedded in the mouth?

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 9:09am

When I was a kid, back in the early 60s, the neighbor was a WWII vet who had been in "The Islands" during the war.  (that was all he ever said, no idea where he was specifically)
Anyway, he had a big collection of indigenous weapons; mostly fishing spears carved from bamboo in various ways, as well as some arrows.
Everything, from shafts to heads, had been carved from bamboo and they were all wickedly barbed.

Wish I had taken pictures back then, but I don't think my "Brownie" box camera would have done very well!

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 6:23pm

I have to admit, the things the islanders managed to do with nothing other than wood was purely amazing! I was always surprised you seldom see any flint work or knapped stone, because I thought flint was volcanic in origin.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 10:22pm

nope... flint is a biochemical rock. however, Chert (a type of fine-grain quartz) is often referred to as flint.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 10:22pm

and wood is the world's most useful material

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 1:05am

Well, if God gave his angels some amazing flaming swords, I can't see why Mister Hinkley shouldn't wield that sword while praying  Cheesy
Another topic that goes directly into the Index, thanks Kjev.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:12am

I must be a spiritual polynesian. I like hitting tthings with clubs too much for it to be a coincidence.

So no slings then ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 12:06pm

I REALLY love the looks of that two handed shark tooth club. Man! That is too sweet looking. Better start gathering up shark teeth and looking for a prime piece of wood, because daddy is about to have a brand new toy!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:44pm

I live in freaking IDAHO where the biggest thing is a stupid sturgeon, more like a prehysteric catfish than a shark. Anyone know where I can find shark's teeth?

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:49pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 1:05am:
Well, if God gave his angels some amazing flaming swords, I can't see why Mister Hinkley shouldn't wield that sword while praying  Cheesy
Another topic that goes directly into the Index, thanks Kjev.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Glad to contribute to the Index.

The two times I saw Hinckley, he was in his upper 80s. On the other hand, so is the founder of my karate style, and I'd never attempt anything with him. He'd hand me my tail in a heartbeat.

In the Book of Mormon, a shipbuilder named Hagoth is mentioned briefly (this is no attempt to preach or spout religion, that's simply the source of the name). One of the more famous weapons in the book is the "Sword of Laban." Someone jokingly asked if that thing was the "Boarding Pike of Hagoth."

Pretty a lame joke, but the best I could come up with to try and impress my wife.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:24am

Did they mention what kind of wood was used?  When I was stationed on Okinawa, there was a Museum of the Pacific that had quite a few of the various weapons used by different ethnic groups and also by the different island groups.  I wish I had taken lots of pictures also.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:52pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:12am:
I must be a spiritual polynesian. I like hitting things with clubs too much for it to be a coincidence.

c_a, that was Plato's reply.

This is some cool stuff, as pretty as the sharp bits are look at that woodcarving.  Polonesian/Maori woodcarving is so great...

Recently I was at a rock and mineral show (stalking the booths that had any sort of fossils) and came across a box full of fossilized shark teeth from Morocco.  I was staring at them contemplatively when my 13 year old brother came to see what I was looking at.  He took one look at the teeth and the expression on my face and said 'You're thinking about making one of those islander swords, aren't you?'  Caught red handed!

How cool would that be, though?  One of those bad boys only with fossil shark teeth!  Probably wouldn't hold up as well, but that's not the point.  Cool

Kjev wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:44pm:
I live in freaking IDAHO where the biggest thing is a stupid sturgeon

Freaking Idaho maybe, though as a Hoosier it is hard to be sympathetic, but stupid sturgeon?!?!  I hope you are joking, 'cause if not I oughta pop you one buster...
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:17pm by Eoraptor »  

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:27pm

That's some amazing craftsmanship there. I'm pretty sure just seeing those weapons on the battlefield in the hand of your enemy would definitely have some kind of psychological impact.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:12pm

Maybe not, you would have the same weapons, too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)