Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kinfolks Hatchet, really cool! (Read 5336 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Kinfolks Hatchet, really cool!
Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:54pm

Hey, I just got back from yardsaling today, got a nice old block plane for a buck, a canteen and a KINFOLKS HATCHET!  I have never actually seen one of these before, it has a handle like an old hunting knife but is actually a hatchet, it is very light and comfortable in the hand and I really like it.  For $12 I couldn't resist.  If anyone knows about it, I would love to hear more about these.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Kinfolks Hatchet, really cool!
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 8:08am

Very cool. I know from expierience that the thinner blade will help with smaller task, that's about all I got.

Great buy, that leather sheath alone is worth at least $20.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2012 at 3:12pm

Nice buy.  That would be ideal for camping.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 4:48pm

i have a high carbon steel tommahawk... i made it myself. NICE BUY- for that price, i would be able to get half the steel that went into my weapon///

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 7:45am

very interesting looking hatchet.

Be cool to see what it's like after cleaning and sharpening  Smiley

The head cover looks practically new.

One thing though - the handle is made of laminated paper - I have a couple of cheap sheath knives with exactly the same type handle -  even down to the little aluminium looking silver pommel. And it's a technique mainly used in china for cheap reproductions.

So I'm thinking that's a chinese mass production model and not some hand made in the usa genuine antique.
It would also explain the fancy stamped leather head cover as well.

It's still a good buy - but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't of chinese manufacture.

And if it's the same age as my knives - then it's somewhere between 25-30 years old.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 1:29pm

It is stamped on it Kinfolks USA, and I have seen many the same online.  I'm not sure it's paper though, I will have to look at it closely, I thought it looked like leather to me.  You are right about that being a common handle, I think there were old airforce knives with a handle like that once too, but I would have to double check.  I think I had one when I was young that I got at a yardsale, was a german one with a handle like that and I think a friend said it was an airforce service knife.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2012 at 1:48pm

My dad has a knife his grandfather gave him towards the end of his life. It has the same kind of handle and about a 4 inch blade. It was the only (non kitchen) knife he ever owned. It's a good knife. Every time I see that knife it remeinds me of how little it takes to live on and how blessed I am.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:07am

Well this is one of the knives I'm talking about.
See what I mean - your handle is almost identical.

To me that says chinese manufactuer.

Stamped kinsfolk usa - does NOT say made in the usa.
Probably just made in china and branded for kinsfolk.

Yeah th ehandles look like leather but actually laminated and varnished paper.
And don't take that to mean low quality. They are extremely durable and comfortable handles. It's just the technique used.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:57am

That type of axe used to be very popular with the Boy Scouts back in the 1950s/60s. I believe they even had one marked with the Scout logo. Also, if I am not mistaken they were sometimes sold with a matching sheath knife as a set. Nice little axe. I think you got a good buy.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 7:20am

yep definitely a nice looking hatchet. Because of the flat design it should sharpen very easily as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)