Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Successful Arrow Slinging Test - Video (Read 8586 times)
Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Successful Arrow Slinging Test - Video
Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:56am

Recently I played a bit with a home made arrow/dart and strings. I tried out three ways of arrow slinging. They all worked but one of them gave surprisingly good results. The arrow started as clear and fast as if it was launched from a good traditional bow. I mounted a small video to show how it went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3ZAJS7Tlg

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Successful Arrow Slinging Test - Video
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:31am

Great vid!  I was wondering how you were going to retrieve your dart, you have a highly traind dart locater.  How did you rig the dart for throwing?

PS, I liked the music.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:33am

that is brilliant.

Looks like a decent sized crossbow bolt you're slinging too.
And a fig8 throw  Thumbs Up

Any more details on how you're looping the cord round the arrow ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:05pm

Great vid, saw it already on youtube.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:06pm

That did work well.  We need to know how the "mecanism" works, seem quite different from that other, center attached cestrosphendone.
I find figure8 to be great for "dart slings", you sure made it work well Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 3:16pm

Very good!  Cool

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Smooth flight. A really good Yurek!

IP Logged

scoteeball

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:41pm

Very nice. I like it! Show us a close up of your set up. Thanks

"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:26pm

scoteeball wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:41pm:
Very nice. I like it! Show us a close up of your set up.

Ditto!  That's awesome and give us some close up pics!

And did you ever find any of your darts?   Huh

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

HaifischKuchen
Descens

Slinging Stones!

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 4:10am

Wow, very clean throws!  It's cool to see how the arrow follows a very consistent path all the way through the wind up, and upon release flies as straight as an arrow!
Are you going to practice accuracy shots?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:51pm

Thank you all for watching and the nice comments. Sorry for not replaying a while, my little dart locater is very sick and is in pain Sad

That day I had an intent to try out two my old designs. One of them I already tested some years ago, but I wanted repeat it with a new dart and sling. The other idea was never tested by me. As wrote before the both worked. Finishing my dart slinging I got an idea to try something else, something I recalled from an old thread about cestrosphendones. I found the link:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1074713443/240

I made it quickly of jute twine and after first gently shost I got impressed. Feeling of the release was the best, very similar to regular sling. The rest you saw in the video. Though fig 8 isn't my style I also think it is the best for throwing darts with that kind of sling, it doesn't twist the strings. The Greek style should work either. Well it seems a slight flow on the design.

A bigger problem was a bit complicated and time consuming loading. Maybe just because the jute twine I used tended to twist and tangle and I had little practice. Anyway the slinging and video making was a fun.

Eoraptor,
If you find some spare time to watch the video to the end you will find out how my only dart was retrieved Wink

HaifischKuchen,
I would happy to have a good place and a lot of darts to practice with them. I also afraid to hit my dog that often chases things I sling. From my very limited experience I have an impression that slinging darts is more accurate than slinging stones and especially tennis balls. I believe that any fig 8 slinger who is accurate with stones after little practice with darts will be even more accurate.

c_a,
I will know what to do with bolts when my crossbow get broken in a battle Wink

Here is my "drill bolt".

Dart.jpg (30 KB | )
Dart.jpg

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 3:09pm

Nice slinging,Yurek!
The year before,i also tried this design and it worked but i quickly nailed small nails in the end of thicker cestros,than i cut the heads of. I tied a small loop just big enough to fit on the nail.This way,one cord,can brace itself really good unto the shaft,and can't slide,so it will give a solid push to the dart.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:14pm

Wow that's deceptively simple. Very Cool!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:38pm

Jlasud and Dan, thanks.

Quote:
The year before,i also tried this design and it worked but i quickly nailed small nails in the end of thicker cestros,than i cut the heads of. I tied a small loop just big enough to fit on the nail.This way,one cord,can brace itself really good unto the shaft,and can't slide,so it will give a solid push to the dart.

Jlasud, I wonder why you did it. I didn't noticed any problems with sliding of the strings on the shaft. Admittedly, the "front cord" was "supported" by the head and the "rare one" by the fins, but it wasn't necessary in order to "push" the dart with no slide. As long either the shaft isn't very slippy or the angles between the cords and the shaft are not too small, the friction is enough to do the job. I even tried to sling the dart with my regular sling. If I was starting the throws very smoothly and the dart was perfectly balanced in the pouch, it was  flying almost as good as launched from the string cradle. However I didn't manage to do it every time - it was very instable. I also slung a shortened bow arrow without the head and additional "pushing points" - it was also ok despite of its lightness.

Lately I improved the loading and tried some accuracy and some harder slinging. After that I got the conclusion that crossbow is an abortive invention Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 2:49pm

Very enjoyable video, Yureck.  I too liked the music.  Your dog is very cute.  He's a Beagle mix, right?  I hope he feels better very soon.  I know it can be hell when your babies are sick.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)