Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in Colonial America (Read 12760 times)
timothy42b

Re: Slinging in Colonial America
Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:14pm

ChuckRocks wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:18pm:
Fascinating Subject.
Non-evidential subjectionism is always fun as long as everyone gets to play and no one gets his eye shot out.

First; I am not a scholar of African or Colonial America Slings.
I can only suppose that if I were a slave and had the knowledge of sling warfare I would have made use of it; I would have not submitted to be taken into slavery. Furthermore, I would have led a slinged rebellion.

Many slaves became so by becoming prisoners of war - so they were originally soldiers in their own area.

That meant escaped slaves were a known danger, as they were essentially trained warriors.  All of the early extractive colonies had huge problems with this.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 8:25pm

timothy42b wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:14pm:
Fascinating Subject.
Non-evidential subjectionism is always fun as long as everyone gets to play and no one gets his eye shot out.

I can only suppose that if I were a slave and had the knowledge of sling warfare I would have made use of it; I would have not submitted to be taken into slavery. Furthermore, I would have led a slinged rebellion.

Many slaves became so by becoming prisoners of war - so they were originally soldiers in their own area.

That meant escaped slaves were a known danger, as they were essentially trained warriors.  All of the early extractive colonies had huge problems with this.  

Escaped slaves were delt with very harshly, usually involving maiming or crippling to some extent. Slave revolts, of which there were several during colonial times, were brutally crushed. If a slave was lucky the best he could hope for was to escape to some Indian village where hopefully he/she would be taken in.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:24pm

This is why you ask the Colonial History Museum Man. This is really simple, in all reality.
http://books.google.com/books?id=E83tF_SwUZQC&pg=PA239&dq=Slinging+stones&hl=en&...

Slinging was exercise and sport in colonial America. Its use also shows up in many kid's books in the 1830s and 1840s as a good amusement, as do Bolas.  They were known, they were used, but not as weapons.  Kids also used them for pest control by hitting groundhogs, birds and such with them, from what we can tell.
http://books.google.com/books?id=gecIAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA11-PT554&dq=Slinging+stones&h...
They were also a child's preferred weapon against passenger pigeons.
They were considered for use by Grenadiers for getting further range on Grenades.
http://books.google.com/books?id=RONZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA219&dq=Sling&hl=en&ei=T5fhTry...

Any Other Questions I can weigh in on?  I use one occasionally for Museum Ed purposes for 18th and 19th Century Activities and skills.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 8:59pm

There is no documentation of slings being used by colonists or any Europeans in Colonial Times. As I said, it doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that nobody wrote about it.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 9:11pm

very good point. nobody noted a large tunnel under my street either. nor the creek that runs past my house in a wooded area.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 10:41am

bigkahuna wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 8:25pm:
timothy42b wrote on Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:14pm:
Fascinating Subject.

That meant escaped slaves were a known danger, as they were essentially trained warriors.  All of the early extractive colonies had huge problems with this.  

Escaped slaves were delt with very harshly, usually involving maiming or crippling to some extent. Slave revolts, of which there were several during colonial times, were brutally crushed. If a slave was lucky the best he could hope for was to escape to some Indian village where hopefully he/she would be taken in.

Your information is incomplete.  In many extractive colonies escaped slaves mixed with the remnants of the native populations that sruvived the old world diseases and formed a significant percentage of the population.  On some islands escaped slaves essentially became the population. 

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:57pm

We were discussing colonial America.

John Walker  
IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #22 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 1:12pm

bigkahuna wrote on Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:57pm:
We were discussing colonial America.

So was I.

Colonial America was not white, despite what many of our history books may seem to depict.

Until 1840, by immigration records and ship's logs, 3 of 4 colonists were black.  Further south some of the colonies were close to 25 to 1.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:06pm

So what does ethnic population makeup in the American Colonies have to do with slinging?? Huh

John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:08pm

Quote:
very good point. nobody noted a large tunnel under my street either. nor the creek that runs past my house in a wooded area.

If nobody wrote about it then nobody in the rest of the world would ever know it was there.

John Walker  
IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #25 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 3:27am

Perhaps they were so ubiquitous as to be non-noteworthy.

Seems they were outlawed in urban areas shortly after someone got their eye shot out.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:39am

Seems us rowdy Colonials were slinging horseshit at the British…

http://books.google.ae/books?id=ohV_-4GJaU0C&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=slinging+in+col...

That'll teach 'em…

Wink

The Sling is responsible for American independence!

Wink

IP Logged

Mangudai
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 9:28am

Quote:
With later place names like Palmyra Indiana and Carthage Illinois etc this tells me that at least after Independence and probably before also there were quite a few settlers who came from outside Europe, in particular the middle east and North Africa.  Given the strong slinging traditions there until very recently perhaps they brought slings with them?

So I suppose then there is a chance that during the Colonial period peoples from French and British territories elsewhere may have arrived in North America? Maybe with slings?

I don't think the name of towns can be used as evidence for where the early settlers came from.  I think those names were known to Euro-American settlers because they appeared in the Bible and other ancient histories.  There are not many American towns named after North African or Middle Eastern cities that are less than 2000 years old.  While there are lots of American towns with names like "Shiloh", which are not significant in the old world except that they are referred to in the Bible. 

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #28 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 10:35am

Woodssj's post is pretty amazing-- period sources mentioning slinging as a normal pastime in Colonial America !!

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 3:04pm

The industrialisation of rubber did to the sling what the cassette did to the 8-track.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)