Map Help (Read 2609 times)
namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Map Help
Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:02am

Hello All,
Having just joined, I have gone and made my Post #1 as requested/required.  However, I am having trouble figuring out how to add myself to the Member Map.  I did search the forums first and only found one other person who had posted that he could not figure it out either, but no one answered him.  If you want me to add myself, I will need some help please.  Thanks for any help and much appreciated!

-namuh1

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Map Help
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:37pm

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 2:04pm

Thank You!  That made it easy.  I wonder, though, why my search didn't turn that post up.  It was only a 'simple' search not advanced or anything so I guess I just missed it.

Thanks a bunch for the help.  I've now done all of the initial things called for of a new Member and will now get on the learning curve.

Cheers,
namuh1

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:17am

with searches you need to tick the box for how far back to search -  all posts is best.
and also the one for just one result per thread.

Those 2 simple things tend to give much more productive results Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 7:49am

That makes sense.  I'll give it a try from now on. Thanks.

One thing I don't quite understand though is why checking 1 per thread helps?  I would think you would want all of them in case the single one returned was not relevant?

-namuh1

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:33am

The search is limited to something like 2000 results. If you dont check "one per thread" then you'll get a few posts from the 20 most recent threads that all rehash the same idea of the thread. If you do check that box you'll pitentially get results from 2000 different threads going back to the beginning of the site. If the one post from that thread isnt exactly relevent hou can still go through the rest of the thread to see if it contains what you're looking for. I also recommend using google if the forum search doesnt turn up what you're looking for. Googling "site:slinging.org (search term)" works every time for me.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 12:24pm

Makes sense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)