Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling ammo suitable for archery targets (Read 5867 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Sling ammo suitable for archery targets
Jul 11th, 2012 at 9:55am

So here in PA we have more licenesed hunters per capita than any other state, including texas; and being a relatively small state, that's a lot of hunters. So there's a lot of bowhunters (mostly compound) and as a result a lot of archery ranges.

I am finally getting accurate enough to be able to hit archery size targets so I am now considering making sling ammo suitable for archery targets. Here's what I have so far:

Basic materials would be quickrete and nails (not sure what size yet). Basically you start by making your standard concrete ammunition. Then you cut the head off the nail and press the nail through the gland. Next, roll the gland so it is a little more oblong for a better spiral and to ensure the nail is homogenous with the gland. Lastly, dry properly and sling.

Does this seem like it would work?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

batty110
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Little Canada, Minnesota
Re: Sling ammo suitable for archery targets
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:30am

What type of archery targets are they?  If it's the healing foam type, it might work if the nail's long enough, but if it's the bag type, or as my dad calls them, "tarp targets" then probably not.  With those bag types, anything without a lot of penetrating power on a very small point will bounce back out and lay on the ground at the base of the bag.  Is using a cestros (spelling?) an option?

If nothing else, make a couple, try it out and let us know!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 12:54pm

batty110 wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:30am:
What type of archery targets are they?  If it's the healing foam type, it might work if the nail's long enough, but if it's the bag type, or as my dad calls them, "tarp targets" then probably not.  With those bag types, anything without a lot of penetrating power on a very small point will bounce back out and lay on the ground at the base of the bag.  Is using a cestros (spelling?) an option?

If nothing else, make a couple, try it out and let us know!

I think a cestros would be too expensive as I plan on losing a few rounds each practice and I don't reallt have much expierince with one compared to the sling. The targets are kind of like layered foam, and one range has deer, caribue, turkey, etc. cardboard targets overtop of the foam. I don't think it'd work tarp targets though either.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 1:11pm

lead glans should work,although i guess you would want something else..not very familiar with those targets,but i guess something dense and pointy and possibly sharp would be needed.I wouldn't be sure that  quickcrete with a nail would penetrate such targets.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 4:14pm

jlasud wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 1:11pm:
lead glans should work,although i guess you would want something else..not very familiar with those targets,but i guess something dense and pointy and possibly sharp would be needed.I wouldn't be sure that  quickcrete with a nail would penetrate such targets.

The problem with the sharpness is that you will destry the target fairly quickly.

So I wouldn't do this unless they already use broadhead on their targets... Then, I would recommend Lobohunter's death ammo : 3 leads weights set in one piece with a broadhead at each end.

Your problem will be to find the correct weight : enough for smacking the target but not too much for staying stuck by the pointy stuff you will have

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

wll

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 4:29pm

Dan wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 9:55am:
So here in PA we have more licenesed hunters per capita than any other state, including texas; and being a relatively small state, that's a lot of hunters. So there's a lot of bowhunters (mostly compound) and as a result a lot of archery ranges.

I am finally getting accurate enough to be able to hit archery size targets so I am now considering making sling ammo suitable for archery targets. Here's what I have so far:

Basic materials would be quickrete and nails (not sure what size yet). Basically you start by making your standard concrete ammunition. Then you cut the head off the nail and press the nail through the gland. Next, roll the gland so it is a little more oblong for a better spiral and to ensure the nail is homogenous with the gland. Lastly, dry properly and sling.

Does this seem like it would work?

As someone who knows a lot about archery and archery targets www.doinker.com no your idea would ruin an archery target. They are made for a small diameter arrows and bound tightly together. Smashing it or putting big holes it would destroy it for sure.

You are much better off using something like ballistic putty or throwing a lot of used clothing behind a loose net and a target on that. That way the shot would be stopped by the loose clothing or material and not be damaged (unless hit by another stone). You would have a paper or cardboard target to keep your hits.

wll

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 9:33am

wll, I'm still not sure if it will work. The targets I am refering to are dang near invinceable if that's the concern. And having slung rocks at them before, it doesn't really effect it at all, I just need something that will make the 'rock' stick. I have a carpet backstop too, but I also have access to a few awesome archery ranges with almost no one there and I'd like to utlize those for sling practice too.

I thought about lobohunters ammunition but again, I'm working off a very low budget and losing a few lead glands and broad heads (which, these days, are outragelously marked up) a day would be pretty expensive.

If you guys have any ideas for ammuniton that doesn't cost $10 each, I would love to hear them.  Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:24am

Lead glans cost much less than that,should penetrate that target and if you also have a carpet backdrop,and accuracy good enough to practice on those targets ,you should have no problem with glans.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 12:53pm

jlasud wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:24am:
Lead glans cost much less than that,should penetrate that target and if you also have a carpet backdrop,and accuracy good enough to practice on those targets ,you should have no problem with glans.

The glands wouldn't, it's the broadheads that would.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:04pm

You could make them like this: It's a bit of work,but you can make them fore free,or very little money.Some lead and about 1mm steel sheet,a small piece.A clay mold and a drill is also needed.You cut the bipointed shape from the sheet,drill 2-3 holes through it ,and insert between the two halves ,cast and voila! If the target is that tuff,that stones won't damage it,i doubt that nails in concrete would do,but you've seen it,you can judge.. These would surely work..

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 8:53am

jlasud wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:04pm:
You could make them like this: It's a bit of work,but you can make them fore free,or very little money.Some lead and about 1mm steel sheet,a small piece.A clay mold and a drill is also needed.You cut the bipointed shape from the sheet,drill 2-3 holes through it ,and insert between the two halves ,cast and voila! If the target is that tuff,that stones won't damage it,i doubt that nails in concrete would do,but you've seen it,you can judge.. These would surely work..

Those are pretty sweet, I'd just be worried about losing them in the target. Hence why I wanted the nails and the more broad concrete to prevent overpenetration.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:25pm by Dan »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:34am

I don't think they would stick unless they went in deep enough to damage the target.  Rocks bounce off but put a tear in the surface, if it is patched, it will stay in but puts a large tearing hole in the patch material.  A lead gland sinks in and is hard to get out without using a knife.  That will damage someone's arrows when they hit it.  I think a cestros would be the way to go, look at it this way, it is a new skill you will be learning and it may be legal for hunting with the correct broadhead.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:38am

Granted I have little experience but I tend to agree that slinging at archery targets wouldn't be appreciated by the people who run the range. Archery targets are made with something else in mind. wll is right, slinging glands (even with a point) would likely destroy most archery targets. Using a cestros on an archery range would be interesting and possibly not too damaging for the targets.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

wll

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:02pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Jul 13th, 2012 at 10:38am:
Granted I have little experience but I tend to agree that slinging at archery targets wouldn't be appreciated by the people who run the range. Archery targets are made with something else in mind. wll is right, slinging glands (even with a point) would likely destroy most archery targets. Using a cestros on an archery range would be interesting and possibly not too damaging for the targets.

I can tell you, having lots of range experience, Most archery ranges frown on x-bows as they dig way deep in the target and often the shooters dig the target to get them out.

One hole in a target will destroy it if it is near the center.

1) Your arrow will go through if the hole is there

2) If the glands is left in and a arrow hits it, it will destroy the arrow ... see how well a shooter who pays upwards of $250-$450 for a dozen of arrows likes that !!!
Yes, today's thin carbon field and Olympic arrows cost even more than that !

3) If the hole is in the 8, 9 or 10 ring area and the arrow hits it, the target very well rip the target and not give the true score the archer shot.

I must tell you that a competitive archer takes archery VERY seriously and if something that you have done may effect his score in competition .... you may have a fight on your hands my friend.

If I were you, I would not bury sling ammo in archery targets, enough said.

wll

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 2:31pm

I'm an archer as well and I wouldn't dream of leaving my sling ammo in the target. Even though my arrows are pretty cheap, I put time and effort into them and I hate breaking them.

The outdoor archery range I am thinking of I have never actually seen someone use. The heart and lung section of the target is allready beaten to a pulp from compound shooters and I've been there for 8 years or so and they've never replaced the cardboard animal targets on the outside.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris)