Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 302588 times)
cram
Descens

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #975 - May 4th, 2019 at 7:35am

Thanks JudoP and Ratman. I now use a fig. 8, where I use my legs as a "spring".

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #976 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:18pm

Hmm, well  a proper sidearm style is actually a lot better for distance than fig 8.

29 inches is fairly short.

In all slinging styles -  as with most martial arts - the real power comes from your waist.

Then biggest mistake people make is to just use their arms and try and 'throw' the missile.

Slings don't actually work like that.
The idea is to build up momentum using as much of your body as you can.

Video would really help - I've seen slingbadger and juan oliver ramon sling, I can pretty much guarentee you'll look better whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #977 - May 23rd, 2019 at 10:40am

I'm gonna ask a simple question. What type of glande (in terms of shape) is the best?

IP Logged

Gunseki
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #978 - May 30th, 2019 at 11:16am

I'm trying to make a sling and I'm mostly aiming for accuracy. So what I'm asking is how long should my sling be, how big the pouch has to be, and what type of rope it should be.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #979 - May 30th, 2019 at 11:37am

First take a piece of string then make it into a sling. Experiment. I still don't know how long a sling should be, how large the pouch should be or what it should be made from and I've been slinging for something like 4 or 5 years. I have slings made from paracord, jute, cotton string, yak hair, other types of synthetic material with pouches made from leather, braided, split-pouch, even a 3D printed pouch. If it can be made into a sling, chances are someone on the forum has tried it. I've even seen plastic shopping bags adapted into slings.

One measurement I've seen, and I would suggest for a beginner is measuring from your outstretched hand to the center of your chest. This will be the size of the sling when it's folded in half. Having said that, I have slings of all different lengths and thicknesses and weights and, as I said, materials. Experiment. See what works for you. All of this also goes for ammo Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #980 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:33pm

if i was newbie again i would make 3 slings 60, 80 and 100 cm . also a 120cm ++ for pirouette if you want.
experiment with them...
I make my split-pouches 12-13cm for most uses: 20-300gram ammo
20cm for 250-500gram ammo.
20cm split pouch used with light ammo can cause projectile to go through and hit the split pouch , late releases and too much friction with the pouch.
you can try and see, it doesn't happen often just a lot more often than with the correct sized split-pouch.

I have little experience with other style pouches.

P.S. : if you can find cheap natural fiber cordage use that.
last resort are nylon,cotton and other stretchy or heavy materials.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #981 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:43pm

xxkid123
my German is bad but it sounds like you are a hot potato

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #982 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:02pm

@gunseki: accuracy depends way more on the slinger than the sling. If you want accuracy, use a heavier projectile and go slow until you’re consistent and then you can try to increase power.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #983 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 9:21am

@
Eudave

Lol he is no longer active

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #984 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 2:56pm

I need some advise from all the accomplished pouch weavers out there.  I've started braiding a new sling from linen and hemp, half one and half the other.  It looks fantastic so I'd like to do something a little more elaborate than my normal split with a leather pouch stitched on.  This will be the first time in my sling making career that I've ever woven a pouch.  I'd like something that looks nice, but is also fairly simple to make.  After a weaving practice session or two, I would like to be able to do the actual sling.

I've been looking through the tutorials and I'm leaning toward this pattern posted by Matthias, http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168848146.  I'll need to make a small adjustment because it will be woven into a braided sling rather than just being a pouch, but I'm not too worried about that.

Also, when I reach the pouch area, I will have 16 strands.  All of them are around the 1.5 mm range in diameter.  Thoughts on this pattern working?  Other recommendations?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #985 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 7:10pm

Rockman is the easiest woven pouch design in my experience, weaving two smaller bits is easier than one big one. Also rockman is a very good pouch, perhaps even the best of the woven variety. So I would recommend that.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #986 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 10:06pm

@
joe_meadmaker

You might take a look at Timothy Potter's web site.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #987 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:20pm

@JudoP - I had also considered a rockman.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Maybe I'll go with that instead.

@walter - Is Timothy's website at http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/index.htm.  I ran a search and got that as a result, but the website doesn't appear to be up anymore.  Too bad.  Sad

Thanks guys!

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Reply #988 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:09am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:20pm:
@JudoP - I had also considered a rockman.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Maybe I'll go with that instead.

@walter - Is Timothy's website at http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/index.htm.  I ran a search and got that as a result, but the website doesn't appear to be up anymore.  Too bad.  Sad

Thanks guys!

The link you have there worked for me fine for potters website, just click through into something like
http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/tut2.htm

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Reply #989 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:55am

I do my rockmans while relaxing in the lazy-boy and use my toe when I get half way, anyone else have a very relaxed way of braiding you could do in this position?  Grin Keeps my hands busy when watching kids/tv ect.

sling_6_001.jpg (71 KB | 50 )
sling_6_001.jpg
sling_5.jpg (89 KB | 42 )
sling_5.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)