Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 302556 times)
Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #960 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 12:50am

Thanks. Is it possible for a picture of the pointy ammo in the pouch? I also want to try make some clay bullets. Any ideas on that wil be appreciated.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #961 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:33pm

Curious Aardvark 3D prints rollers for making clay bullets a consistent shape. Look in the marketplace for more info.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #962 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 10:33am

Is there a way to waterproof acrylic yarn?

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #963 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 12:09pm

@
cram

I haven't been able to find anything on waterproofing acrylic yarn specifically.  I saw it mentioned that acrylic yarn may have some natural resistance to water damage because it's a synthetic fiber.  I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

I was able to find a resource on waterproofing hemp cordage using wax.  There is a video on the technique here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFploVWswZ0.  This is similar to what I do with bow strings.  I heat beeswax over a candle, and rub the softened wax over the string.  Then I pull the string through my fingers to press the wax in to it and remove excess.

You can also try a general Internet search on waterproofing cordage.  I found some other products, but some of the processes seemed a bit involved.  I don't know if wax will work with yarn, but it may be worth a try depending on the application you're planning for it.  Are you going to have a sling battle with water balloons? Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #964 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 9:10pm

cram wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 10:33am:
Is there a way to waterproof acrylic yarn?

Acrylic absorbs water like nylon does but it shouldn’t really hurt it. It will absorb water from the humidity in the air too.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #965 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 1:39am

Thanks! Though I'm not working with yarn anymore, I'm now working with jute, and I'll have to try that waxing thing. Smiley

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #966 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 12:36pm

I'm having trouble with distance, I can only sling up to 50-60 meters(my sling is 29 inches)  Cry

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #967 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 1:59pm

What sling style are you using?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #968 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 2:18am

Kick wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 1:59pm:
What sling style are you using?

Side arm Balearic-ish.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #969 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 2:43am

Maybe try out a few different styles. It might be that you just haven't found that style that you really click with yet. Getting some video can also be useful, even if you don't upload it here. If you do upload it then there are a fair few slingers around to offer advice Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #970 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:56am

Thanks, I'll definitely try out different styles.But I'm not gonna film myself because I'm camera shy Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #971 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 9:54am

I get that but it can be good to film yourself just so you can see exactly how you're throwing.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #972 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 12:24pm

Well Ima try filming myself but I'm definitely not posting it  on any site Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #973 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:47pm

cram wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 12:24pm:
Well Ima try filming myself but I'm definitely not posting it  on any site Grin

Whether or not you post a video of yourself slinging here is of course entirely your decision but if you want to get to the root of your problem as quickly as possible it's absolutely the best way.  Many members have done it. 
    If you choose to not post a video of yourself here don't worry... just keep working on your form.  Slinging is all about form... strength means little.  Eventually you will get it.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #974 - May 4th, 2019 at 6:10am

You could try using better ammo if you aren't already Cram. Smooth pebbles will go a lot further than jagged rough stones, and you can make clay balls or glandes if you can't get hold of good enough stones.

As for technique you just gotta work on coordination and full body movement probably.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)