ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303284 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #900 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 4:12pm

nope there was a thread a while back where someone did make a sling with adjustable length cords. Some sort of special knots i think. Should be findable in the search if it's not in the index.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

coyoteslinger
Novicius

SW Slinger

AZ
Navajo Sling Use?
Reply #901 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 12:37pm

I was wondering if anyone has any information of use of the sling by the Navajo. I would assume they did as there are collections containing Ute and Apache slings. I'm working on a university paper on the slings of the SW and would really like to get some citeable info on Navajo slings.

I've looked over at the Project Goliath page to no luck, any help would be appreciated thanks!

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #902 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:17am

Found this in the FAQ but the link's broken, can anyone point me to the way of tying this pouch?

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-simple-string-sling-an-illustrated-g...

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #903 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:31pm

It's a sheepshank sling. There is a half hitch at both ends. Run the cords through the small opening that is created when you tie the half hitches and you are good to go. You can also add a weaver and make a solid pouch.  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #904 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 4:20pm

Thank you Walter
I was going to make some (actually 20) slings for a class but don't have nearly the time to braid each, nor enough leather/seatbelt for that many solid pouches. Sheepshank's gonna be perfect.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #905 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 7:19pm

You are welcome and good luck with your class Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

d010060002
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

kansas
Reply #906 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:45pm

I've been out of the game for awhile, but I just got 500 ft of paracord for sling making. I recall that rockman and pj were among the most highly recommended designs, but I can't find the tutorials anywhere. I tried the sticky, but it says the page is no longer available. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #907 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:35pm

Happliy, those tutorials weren't just on the now-absent main site; you can find them here:

Rockman Sling:

peacefuljeffrey sling (5-strand Woven Paracord Sling): http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225969604

-Timothy Potter
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2023 at 11:05pm by joe_meadmaker »  

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #908 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 4:54pm

Thanks for pulling those up! I'll update the sticky when I have time.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Ejamison
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #909 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Does anyone have pointers on adding leather to braided slings? Specifically on sewing it in, etc

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #910 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Are you aiming to sew onto the split pouch itself as a covering? Sew it over a split to create a solid pouch? Line the fingerloop?

I found the sewing side fairly simple to pick up, just poke holes through the leather with an awl then you can either sew from hole across to the other side hole then pull it tight so it constricts the leather to the sling, or you can actually push the needle through the hole and the sling itself actually attaching it on. I find the latter is less tight but it depends on what you need. Softer is sometimes better, and it's probably easier too.

IP Logged

Ejamison
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #911 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:21pm

Ahhhhh. I see. Well, I was thinking that you sewed it into the sling itself on a split pouch. This gives me more options.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #912 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:02pm

In the case of a split pouch I find sewing on seems to work better. If the split has thin cords you may have to sew across though. Fingerloops my preference is to sew across and pull tight.

IP Logged

Vlad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #913 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:05am

Does anyone have the historical section articles from former slinging.org homepage saved somewhere?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #914 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:27am

yep I do.
But due to the crappy way the website system works - they are not actually single file articles.
It's a horrible system and one I had nothing to do with setting up.

So even finding the relevant text is more than a little tricky, as it's not in a specifically labelled file, but kind of scattered through the folders.
It also has the major disadvantage that it uses .php and will only run on a web server. So I can't even view the site offline, even though I have the complete files and folders.

So I can't even do a dry run updating the cms made simple (think that's what it's called) before totally buggering up the website. One of the reasons I haven't tackled that side of things yet.

Is there anything specific you're after ?
Can't promise anything, but I can have a look and see if I can find it.   

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)