Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303244 times)
Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #870 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:28am

Xenovora, I love using squash balls for my indoor slinging (which I do quite a bit)…they don't really have much bounce, but a lot more mass than a ping pong ball and a great texture.

As far as sling type, I would try every one you are capable of making. The more you make, the more you learn. Same goes for style, try to master them all.

Good luck!

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #871 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 6:09pm

Thank you very much for your reply, I was losing hope in this thread! The forum seems significantly less active the moment I joined and began waiting for replies haha. I will certainly look into purchasing some squash balls - though they look like they could definitely cause some indoor damage unless I put up a huge comforter or sheet some place like a doorway. My aim still is pretty horrific.. at best I can get the projectile to shoot within 30-40 degrees horizontally and within 20-30 degrees vertically of where I want it to go with the figure 8 style. Hitting my ceiling, thin wooden cabinets, and drywall probably isnt a good idea with anything weighing much more than a balled up sock or pingpong ball. That squash ball looks real tightly packed, I might be a bit safer starting with a really airy soft soft stress ball. The kind made of foam or whatever.

Those M shaped whipped ends of various leather pouches such as the seatbelt style sling look pretty good since I have yet to buy a leather whole puncher. I'm really bad at whipping though.. I've had it come apart on me while slinging like 5x so far, launching tennis balls dangerously close to my associates. I have a good bit of leather ready for use though... I think I'll cut some pouches of a few types today and maybe learn a knot or two... maybe improve my whipping knowledge too.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #872 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 7:05pm

Sew through the paracord and use the excess to do the whipping. It'll stay in place that way:)
I've never had much luck with indoor slinging but I'm lanky and take up a ton of space lol

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #873 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 6:30am

Glue your whipping…

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #874 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 10:09am

Sewing... I don't know how to do - glue however...... consider it done Smiley Any specific type of glue that you would recommend?

Edit: No reply for a while so I went ahead and covered the whipping of a new sling seatbelt style with leather (my first one actually rectangular) with elmers 'Glue-All' glue. Hopefully that's strong enough... I'm guessing you were referring to hot glue or gorilla glue or something significantly more potent.

Also, will duct tape (cut for less width) or scotch tape work to cover the glued whipping? Or do I need electric/painters/hockey/some other type of tape?

Finally, am I wasting leather and time by not oiling my leather slings? It is veg-tan remnant leather. Its about 1.25mm thick and a little firm.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2015 at 1:10pm by Xenovora »  

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #875 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:41am

super glue (not the gel, the thin liquid) is probably the best for nylon. it soaks right in.

Watch a few whipping videos, there are some different techniques, but whatever technique you use, pull it tight!

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #876 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 1:07pm

Can I tie a whip cracker into the overhand release knot of my paracord slings, the kind where you spin a pencil around and around as explained in youtube tutorials, and when slinging just hold the release knot and when I let go, it will sound significantly louder than a typical 'frayed' and unraveled paracord 2-4 inch strand after an overhand knot?

Blowgunman123 wrote on Sep 7th, 2015 at 3:45pm:
If your trying to get a crack out of a paracord sling you don't need a taper, just a one strand masons line short cracker around the length of your index finger, and with enough weight in the pouch and a good release you will be able to get a crack, its especially easy when you use rocks.

This is really interesting to me ^ but does the volume of the crack have anything to do with the length of the cracker? And why wouldn't I need a taper? Would a balaeric style sling with a good taper be louder than tying a whip cracker on to the end of a single paracord release strand?

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #877 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 2:15pm

Yeah you can, and the length does affect the crack on a sling, on a whip not so much. Smiley the reason you don't need at taper is because you already have one when you put a smaller cracker at the end than the paracord. Yes a good tapered Balearic sling will be a bit louder, but making a paracord sling will take a lot shorter time than making a Balearic sling, i speak from experience of making upwards of 25 nylon/natural fiber slings. The style that you use, and the force you put into your sling also heavily affects how loud/well the sling will crack. It will be a bit easier to get a good crack out of a Balearic sling, but in the end, if your slinging tennis balls a lighter sling is gonna give you more range, power and sometimes accuracy, at least for beginners, then it gets into personal preference and skill and practice Smiley.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #878 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 2:41pm

Thanks Blowgunman! I will definitely figure out how to make one of those crackers of a few various sizes and throw them on a few of my lame paracord slings release cords and see what I can do over the next day or two. Smiley

I've got about 35 feet of 550 paracord by my side, I'll be looking into weaving a nice pouch most likely pretty soon. Any youtube video recommendations for this? I've made 2 woven paracord pouches already without much luck because I think my jig was a little off, my knot making ability is really poor, and keeping the weave tight is a pain. I've also seemed to have issues with making them perfectly even... the pouch usually ends a bit lopsided, and the paracord woven pouches I've made are both very very flat, with zero cup, and so my ammo very often falls out. Any good tutorials for cupped woven paracord pouches for 35ft of 550?

I am also someone who really enjoys water balloon fights. But I hate tying water balloons, and I hate the mess after. I'm looking to buy some high quality 'water absorbent' balls the type people play with at the pool to use as sling ammo. I dont have any seatbelt material for a fully water resistant seatbelt sling, but I think a woven paracord cupped pouch would do great for splash balls soaked in water. I have a few friends who I enjoy water balloon fights with each summer, and I want to transition to SLING water fights, but with absorbent balls instead of balloons. Im also looking on google for highly absorbent spherical or egg shaped sponges without much luck. I figure those would work just as good as a dedicated ball, if not better... Then I can simply leave 4-5 buckets / bowls full of water strategically placed around the yard to re-soak ammo after its been thrown.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #879 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:43pm

I can post a video if you would like, it would just take me a few days. As for the idea of slinging water balloons, i don't know if you know this but water balloons will explode/fall out of your pouch before you can get enough power. The water soaking balls are a pretty smart idea but i don't know if they would give you nasty welts or just spray all of they water out before they reach the target lol, you'd be surprised how much spin you can get on ammo. I would just try using some cheap ones from Walmart, just to test if the idea might work. Just my two cents. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #880 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:31pm

A video of you making a paracord woven pouch sling with a whip cracker on the release cord??!!? That would be absolutely amazing if that's what you were referring to! Otherwise if a link to one already exists that would work too just fine, but personally I haven't had any luck finding one. I am shocked by your offer Smiley This community is awesome heh. If you do decide to make a video of such, take your time sir no rush, just whenever you're bored with extra free time lol. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #881 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 8:51pm

You can sling water balloons, but it takes a large, cupped pouch large enough to hold an entire, flattened balloon without flopping out or stretching and bursting. I used a sling like this during a water balloon fight to basically mortar three guys with a bungee cord sling shot. My aim wasn't as good, but I could lob accurately enough that they were dodging my balloons instead of throwing their own.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #882 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 8:48am

One thing to be careful of, Xenovora, if you haven't already figured it out; beware of making your cracker too long. Doing so will result in a rather painful welt across the palm of your hand. Trust me, I know.

IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #883 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 12:49am

Seriously looking for someone to critique my work here. Made this one today. It's longer than the one I made yesterday has a wrist thingy and instead of a knoT a little tail. Whipped an avocado pit at my couch a minute ago and it cracked scared the crap out of my dogs. .. it stretches across my chest in length from wrist to wrist. Is that too long? How long should it be?

20160119_223430.jpg (3657 KB | 188 )
20160119_223430.jpg

IP Logged

abaddoneats
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #884 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 12:52am

Which is better leather or woven pouch? Natural or artificial material? I figured natural would be best because that's what they used back in the day... should pouch be larger than ammo? Thinner? There's so many types of sling I've seen on the net

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)