Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 93
Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 308339 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #855 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 10:13am

I never did try the weighted pouch idea... But that will have to wait cause its finally warm and sunny and this will be my first slinging in months! Peace!

IP Logged

mightyhunter85
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #856 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:25pm

Does anyone know if there are any other slingers in Washington State USA?

IP Logged

Vlad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #857 - May 29th, 2015 at 12:26pm

Hi guys!
I have just decided to spend holidays with my girlfriend in Mallorca.
Do you have any recomendations what sould we visit with connection to slings/slinging?
I have already found this: http://www.tirdefona.org/calendarios/CALENDARIOOFICIAL2015.pdf

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #858 - Jun 30th, 2015 at 1:20am

mightyhunter85 wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:25pm:
Does anyone know if there are any other slingers in Washington State USA?

I'm in Texas for a few months, but Huntsman and I are normally in the Portland, OR area, which borders Washington state Smiley

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

mrdeadpt
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Tennis ball pouch
Reply #859 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 5:25pm

Have never tried slinging tennis balls, but no doubt they're safer around people.  Can anyone give me guidance--measurements or a template--for cutting a leather pouch to sling tennis balls?  Or is there a better type of pouch for tennis ball slinging?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #860 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 5:34pm

I generally use a 2.5 inch by 7 inch. I divide the 2.5 into two
1.25 inch tabs 2 inches long on each end punch a hole in each
tab. I stack the holes and put a cord loop through the hole.
this will cause the pouch to cup a little. also use other variations of that theme.

PS. I'm a big fan of skinny split pouches for tennis balls...
make the split around 5 inches or so. two pieces of cordage
and four knots ... doesn't get any simpler.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1428068864/6#6 string thing sling

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #861 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:53am

The nice thing about skinny split pouches is their adaptability.  Your tennis ball sling can easily throw smaller projectiles also.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #862 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 12:04pm

+1 for skinny split pouch!

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #863 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 3:50pm

I wanted to do a quite impressive hugea$$ sling for bigger stones, like an AussieSeatBelt, but with heavy duty leather.
So I cut a big rectangle, folded the ends like a M and thanks to a brainfart, punched 4 holes on each side...

Since I plan to use it for really heavy stones, if I use those holes to pass my cords, do you think there is a significant risk of tearing ? Should I cut the holes ?

If you need pictures, I will take one Smiley

Thanks

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #864 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 5:50pm

How thick is your leather? Pics are good Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #865 - Aug 1st, 2015 at 4:17pm

Here are the pictures !

This one is out of focus but with a ruler in inches
This one is on focus, but without the ruler

the leather is 3mm thick, the stone is the one wich will go with the sling, the sling is the one I use for lead and the knife is my knife when I'm a Gaul ^^

You can click the pictures to see them bigger.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Vlad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #866 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 3:24am

Why not using it the inteded way even with the holes?

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #867 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 11:46pm

this is pretty random but me and legos have started making/practicing slingshots recently and i was wondering if it is legal for us to carry them around in northern Illinois?

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #868 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 11:00am

Look up how Illinois defines a weapon and Illinois weapons laws. Then look up your county's weapons laws and your city's weapons laws. They'll tell you if it's legal.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #869 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 9:03am

Hello everyone, this will be my first post here at slinging.org! I've been wandering for over a month now and finally signed up. I have many questions, so I hope you all have many answers!

I'm a very amateur sling maker, I've made 4-5 slings from youtube instructional videos using only paracord. I've since purchased some scrap leather (veg-tan remnants) which contains 4-6 useable pouches worth of slings, 3ply 28lb jute and 1ply hemp (very thin). I also have 60-70ft of paracord left, 50 feet of 550, and 18 feet of a thinner variety. I have a very very VERY limited knowledge of knots and braiding. I learned how to do a 3-braid yesterday, and a normal 'knot' and slipknot is about as deep as I go. (I don't even know exactly how to make a slipknot i just play with the cordage for long enough and get lucky LOL.) I have very little desire to learn more UNLESS it will dramatically increase my slinging efficiency by using a more complicated sling construction. What type of sling (not length) will get me the most power and accuracy? Is a 3 braid hemp better than a single line of paracord? And can you link me specific articles and guides (especially videos) to your suggestions? My next goal of a sling to make is this one: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/leather2.htm I wish to make the sling above because it requires no leather hole puncher - I don't own one... I could use a knife blade and stab a hole in the leather, but that seems messy and not great for durability. I also like this because I can change the cords whenever I wish, with different sizes. Big plus I think?! Should I save my leather for a different style? I also plan to make a 'butterfly/boat' leather pouch with some paracord attached (or hemp if you all think it makes a higher power more durable sling.) Simplicity is best for me! I plan to sling tennis balls at the park, PING PONG balls for indoor practice, and rocks in secluded locations (which are hard to find and rivers are far away to find smooth stones in private safe areas.) My accuracy sucks. At best I can get an object flying in the general direction I would like it to go after about 5-6 slinging practice sessions ever. (Short ones - most of my practice is indoors with ping-pong balls cause they don't go through walls or doors when I play inside.) Marshmellows I am tempted to try, but I don't want bugs in the house! Sugar would be everywhere. I've tried slinging golf balls at a 'wall-ball' sort of cage, but found it to be extremely dangerous when you have a golfball coming your way at 75+mph. I plan to purchase 'lacrosse' balls to use for this purpose though. Oh so many more questions.. lets start with these though. Sorry for the wall of unorganized text.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick)