squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #840 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 12:10am

Tomas wrote on Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:49am:
I got my hands on a scrap of Dacron sail cloth just this week and apparently it's next to indestructible.
Has anyone ever made a sling pouch out of cloth/canvas? I considered making it apache style but I don't like apache slings lol
Any ideas? maybe origami or some fancy folding?

Dacron? seems likely to be soft but strong... and likely rather thin.
Try laminating it using rubber cement and sowing... Aussie style sling.
Or you could use duct tape... Aussie style sling.
Or you could make one of those "medical tape pouches" using duct tape.... and Dacron.
Or you could just cut a very elongated rhombus, tie a loop in one end, and a knot in the other.
Makes a good EDC sling.

If you do try to fold it, use a steam iron to heat it up. It makes folding most sorts of cloth easier.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #841 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 12:29pm

So I've been thinking.... If one were to add weight To the pouch of a sling would it make it easier to feel its movement? Perhaps even increase performance? I feel like it would accentuate how it swings???

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #842 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 9:45pm

Tomas wrote on Jan 22nd, 2015 at 12:29pm:
So I've been thinking.... If one were to add weight To the pouch of a sling would it make it easier to feel its movement? Perhaps even increase performance? I feel like it would accentuate how it swings???

I don't know about everyone else, but that would be very painful/dangerous for me.  I once had my ammo get stuck in an experimental pouch and I only barely missed my shin and then my testicles (hit my inner thigh) in consecutive throws before I decided that the pouch wasn't going to work for me.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #843 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:14pm

Can you elaborate on what kind of pouch? And what kind of throw you were doing? Was it a heavy pouch compared to the sling?

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #844 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:27pm

Tomas wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 4:14pm:
Can you elaborate on what kind of pouch? And what kind of throw you were doing? Was it a heavy pouch compared to the sling?

It looked like this one.

It was fairly small, I wanted something to throw golf ball sized ammo.  I had a few golf ball sized steel ball bearings that I wanted to try throwing.  So the pouch and string were both very light compared to the ammo.

The ball bearing got stuck in the split in the pouch.  And then it turned rather dangerous for myself as I found I was dealing with a hammer-throw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_throw) situation when I thought I was going to be slinging.

I was using a Fig-8 in a very vertical, overhand motion.  So that the (surprisingly still weighted) sling started coming back at my lower extremities.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #845 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 6:11am

I'm still not sure we are on the same page(no pun intended). I did enjoy the link though and might have to try slinging like that somehow:)

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #846 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:38pm

lol that sounds funny and yet painful, and to answer your question Tomas yes, well sort of, there is a certain point when you add to much weight and the sling dosent work right, but if you add a small amount of weight to the pouch, like if you have a split pouch and add a leather covering for it, it will help the sling last longer and sewing leather makes the sling feel better in hand and sometimes yes it does increase performance.  Cheesy

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

AndrewShepherd
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

What is the math I need to make a sling?
Reply #847 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 6:57pm

I want to make a sling with tarred bank line. I want to get the length right and not just guess like I always do. What is the math I need to figure out how long the strands I cut need to be to make a (however long) sling.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: What is the math I need to make a sling?
Reply #848 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:00am

1 ˝ times the desired finished length of braided cord plus the length needed at each end more or less depending on the strand size. the direction you pull while tightening the braid, how hard you pull, the phase of the moon, etc. there is no fast rule, keep good notes for your next project. cut extra long and throw some away.. can't stretch it once it is braided too short.

it will take many iterations of braiding and note taking before you can cut strands to make a given length of braided cord.

Each braid style will differ in the length of cut strands for a specific length of braided cord. ie 3, 4, 6,7,8,11,16,32 round vs the same cord counts in a flat. the higher the strand count in the braid the smaller the initial strands need to be.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2015 at 10:33am by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

AndrewShepherd
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: What is the math I need to make a sling?
Reply #849 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 7:57pm

Thanks for the help Steven!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #850 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 9:30pm

Oh look, Tomas has another question! Ahahaha

I've been using a marudai for my braiding this winter and it is amazing. I was wondering though, is it possible to do a river braid(like Balearic style) on the platform?
Actually, I have three braids in particular I'm curious about trying on the marudai but the river braid is first on the list.
As an aside, I'm calling it a riverbraid cause that's what I heard that style of braid is called. Is that the term to use?

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #851 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:09am

I never heard the expression river braid. I think you mean a normal plait or braid. In German its called "Zopf".

For flat pieces you would use a takadai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takadai) instead of a marudai.
But I think it should be possible to do it on a marudai. Just arrange the strings like you would do if you would braid by hand. Two groups, one on the left side, one on the right. Take the most northest string on the right, place it at the south of the left group. Then do the same again with the northest string of the left group. Repeat. That's how I would do it.
Maybe your tension is messed up so you have to test how it works out.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #852 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 11:32am

Thanks Teg I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #853 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 12:13pm

No problem  Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #854 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 8:26am

Referring back to Tomas's previous question, I sometimes like to use a sling with a heavier pouch mainly because you can hurl ammo of any weight with it. If your pouch is heavy enough to dry fire your sling (no ammo in it) with no apparent difference from when you fire it loaded then you are able to hurl even tiny ammo with it accurately.  I have experimented with adding weight after the sling was completed with no success.  Your best bet is to weave a thicker, heavier pouch.  Try my Cobra design for that: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1257543044
   A few of the pages in that tutorial somehow got damaged so that the pictures associated with each page were irrelevant to the tutorial.  c_a was able to repair all but the first page, which I'll have to get off my lazy butt and rephotograph. Good job and thanks, c_a!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)