Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 307283 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #75 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:53am

Balaeric slinging has a pretty huge variety. You can see some here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNimz7JCTiI&feature=related

Generally Balaeric style has multiple slow rotations more 'behind' you than side arm.

You are pretty much on about helicopter though.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

d010060002
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

kansas
Reply #76 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Thanks for all the responses. You were right, I was confused.

IP Logged

Bibbs
Tiro

Laugh at the joke

Panama city, fl usa
The accursed sisal. . . Upside?
Reply #77 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 3:24am

Hello all, I've read through all the posts that the search came up with when"sisal" is input, wanted to say that to put out there that I'm not being lazy and asking instead of working, and masaiakasaueous(sorry man, I am sure I just absolutely butchered your sn) I think it was, mentioned not messing with sisal unless you just like the other properties, I looked and searched, looking for any mention of dunstable properties, to no avail, so I favored I would ask, ogee got a boat load of it (couple thousands meters) and if it has properties that make out truly worth using, I would think knowing them would make me able to vary the style of sling/ technique that I use, so I can take advantage of those qualities, and asking will save a lot of time over using a couple thousands meters to make mediocre slings, that could be decent slings with a little bit of information

Thank you in advance for dealing with my ignorance

Life is the best joke out there, don't be afraid to laugh&&&&Bibbs&&&&In a world where everything is ridiculous nothing can be ridiculed, you can not unmask a mask.&&&&G. K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: The accursed sisal. . . Upside?
Reply #78 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:52am

That's awesome that you have that much sisal. Go for a balaeric style sling (google it if you don't know what they look like). They are really simple to make, you can make them a bunch of differnt lengths, and a well made one looks great.

3 main options with sisal. One, If it's really even and not too fuzzy braid it as is.

Two, as you are braiding, untwist the inch or so of cordage being braided and braid tightly (This is my preffered method. It makes it look cleaner).

Three, Soak the cordage and seperate the sisal into fibers and take the longer fibers and make a totally traditonal style baleric sling.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bibbs
Tiro

Laugh at the joke

Panama city, fl usa
Re: The accursed sisal. . . Upside?
Reply #79 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 8:06am

Picked it up at home depot, I might have to try the untwistin, though, just to make sure I'm understanding properly, you are basically de constructing the sisal and braiding the fibers alone, an inch or so at a time, right? Doesn't sound to bad, will have to try it. But what sets sisal apart from, say hemp? Or whatever other twine you can think of (other than price and how hairy it.is lol)

Life is the best joke out there, don't be afraid to laugh&&&&Bibbs&&&&In a world where everything is ridiculous nothing can be ridiculed, you can not unmask a mask.&&&&G. K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #80 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 12:16pm

Call me Masi. Wink

Sisal is stiff, wiry, and abrasion resistant. That makes it unlikely to develope twist over time, the pouch can be "cupped" and it won't lose its shape, and the end of the sling is unlikely to wear through. This also means it's unsuited to complex braids, kinks and bends are hard to get rid of, and sisal is hard to cut. Try simple braids, or using sisal to reinforce the tail end of the sling and stay away from Peruvian braids.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:55pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bibbs
Tiro

Laugh at the joke

Panama city, fl usa
Reply #81 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:41pm

Haha, ok, thanks masi.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Rifled spin?
Reply #82 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 8:37am

So I have been trying to to make my throws have this perfect spiral lately.  I should have guessed it would be more elusive than I hoped!
   My rocks definitely spin most of the time with the forward point of my rock leaning to the right and the tail to the left( I am right handed).
Basically how do I straighten this out and are there different kinds of spins for different purposes?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Rifled spin?
Reply #83 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 3:34pm

I use a relatively stiff cord set so they don't twist in windup. When I cast my thumb is closest to my head and my palm faces my target..

YMMV Good Luck.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #84 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm

What style do you use? it seems like some sort of overhand

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #85 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 4:52pm

jlasud wrote on Sep 9th, 2012 at 4:27pm:
What style do you use? it seems like some sort of overhand

A very relaxed 8 with very large slow motions to keep cord from twisting ... I think a greek single loop into a side arm with a thumb up delivery would also work.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #86 - Sep 9th, 2012 at 4:58pm

In theory any style that ends in your palm facing the target,and with parallel cords and correct ammo will get you a rifle spin. To be simplistic.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #87 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:54am

Hey, I think I figured out why the shots were spinning crooked! I use figure 8, heli, byzantine and when i was releasing the stone, my arm was not perpendicular to the ground( 20 degrees or so).  Now I wonder if I could twek it to use as a curve ball!!!!! anybody here mess around with that kind of idea before?

IP Logged

MrMasterplan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reykjavik
Braiding advice needed: the split
Reply #88 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 12:30pm

I have braided about half a dozen slings by now. I love their historic touch and feel. The finger loop and the main cords are no problem. I can do all the basic braiding patterns by now, but there is one thing I just cannot seem to get right, and that is the split where the retention cord goes out into two pieces to form the pouch and where those pieces come back together.

When I look at these pictures of a beautiful sling
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1232817549/57#57
I can see that each part of the pouch is almost the same thickness as the retention cord. How is the extra material picked up? Also, the pouch halves are lying neatly side-by-side while all individual stands somehow keep weaving in and out of the braid leaving no obvious trace of how the split was made.

I have myself come up with a number of ways of making the split and picking up material, but I am just not entirely satisfied with any of them. If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated. Something like an advanced braiding tutorial maybe?

I have pictures of the splits I have braided so far if people are interested in seeing them.

/S

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Braiding advice needed: the split
Reply #89 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 1:32pm

Yes, could you post them please? So we can see what you don't want  Wink  What material do you use? Cords/strings or raw fibers?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris)