ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 306824 times)
Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Looking for the lowdown on THH style slings
Reply #405 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 6:27am

I couldn't find anything using the search. Probably not using the right magic words though. Be my fault I'd say. I want to have a go at making a THH solid pouch sling, but couldn't find a tutorial. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I feel lazy right now, so thought I would ask. Anyone know where to locate a tutorial? Also, what size ammo can you use a THH for? Or is it a case of how big do ya wanna make it?! I want to be able to use various sized ammo up to tennis ball. Will a THH handle that or will it still be a case of multiple slings for various ammo sizes?
Thanks for any help,

Mick

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Looking for the lowdown on THH style slings
Reply #406 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 6:47am

Uh...  At the risk of sounding dumb...  

What's a THH Sling?  

Do you mean a TSS Sling (Triple SheepShank)?

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #407 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 7:51am

I also think you may mean TSS Sling or TS3.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #408 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 9:12am

Oops! Sorry about that. TSS is indeed what I meant. THH is a motorcycle helmet brand...And since I'm a Biker, I think I can be forgiven Smiley.

Triple Sheepshank huh?! So it can be more than that then, for a wider pouch, yes? Does the pouch need to be wider? Or is it wide enough to accommodate the maximum size of a tennis ball as per original post? How long does it need to be? I guess I'm still on the hunt for 'the' perfect sling for me...Yeah I know the creature probably doesn't exist, but one does have to search first, to discover these things for ourselves.

Mick

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #409 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 3:32pm

An appu sling is a sheep shank sling with no weaving. A TS3 or TSS Sling is an appu-sling with a woven pouch. A PJ sling or Peacefuljeffrey sling is a woven 5 strand sheep shank sling. Dimensions are based on personal preference and slinging style. I make PJ slings that wrap around 1/3 the circumference of a tennis ball.

http://slinging.org/index.php?page=5-strand-woven-paracord-sling-tutorial---jeff...

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #410 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 6:26pm

Ok, so not all Brown snakes are Brown snakes then! The same sling with a slight variation may take a new name. Thanks for the help and the links LS and MS. I can be a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, but I've finally (I think) got my head wrapped around this sling style. I will be attempting to make one in the near very future.

Mick

IP Logged

hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
Where to Get?
Reply #411 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:43am

Where can I get paracord and nylon cord and all that?

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: Where to Get?
Reply #412 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:51am

Hardware stores. Camping outfitters. Army surplus stores. Internet.

These are the places in the states where I go for paracord, although your results may vary in your part of the world.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #413 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 11:24am

You don't really need para cord, any strong string will work.  And if you braid, some string that you initially didn't consider will work.  Check out some of the various 6-12 strand round braids and some of the tutorials on flat braiding in the stickys up top.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #414 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 11:57am

Go to the nearest walgreens. They have cheapo nylon/cotton/jute/etc utility cord. My jute is from such a store.
-Squirrel
Paracod- hobby stores, internet.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #415 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:36pm

Mick wrote on Apr 3rd, 2013 at 9:12am:
Oops! Sorry about that. TSS is indeed what I meant. THH is a motorcycle helmet brand...And since I'm a Biker, I think I can be forgiven Smiley.

Triple Sheepshank huh?! So it can be more than that then, for a wider pouch, yes? Does the pouch need to be wider? Or is it wide enough to accommodate the maximum size of a tennis ball as per original post? How long does it need to be? I guess I'm still on the hunt for 'the' perfect sling for me...Yeah I know the creature probably doesn't exist, but one does have to search first, to discover these things for ourselves.

Mick

For a tennis ball I'd use a TS7 (seven strand Sheep Shank Sling).   I've made them as wide as nine strands.  You can make them even wider if you wish but it gets ridiculous after a while.  Hopefully this will help to answer your questions:
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1338672380/0#0
    Don't be surprised if there is a perfect sling for you.

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #416 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:15pm

Thanks RM I saw that tutorial just yesterday and was thinking that might be just the way to go. Would it work using 'hootchi' cord do you think? Other than that I would have to plait up some sisal garden twine to get a similar thickness to what is shown in the photographs. Or is thickness of the cordage a non issue?.

Mick

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #417 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:42pm

Mick wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 6:15pm:
Thanks RM I saw that tutorial just yesterday and was thinking that might be just the way to go. Would it work using 'hootchi' cord do you think? Other than that I would have to plait up some sisal garden twine to get a similar thickness to what is shown in the photographs. Or is thickness of the cordage a non issue?.

Mick

Eehhh... I have used jute garden twine(very thin, like 1mm) and also 1/2 inch rope

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Mick
Descens

May your stone always
be well buried.

Brisbane/Redcliffe
Reply #418 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:21am

The garden twine I have is thicker, about 3mm and is Sisal. I have Jute twine as well that's about 1mm. I was planning on using hootchi cord, like 550 paracord but not as thick, about 2mm. Something that thin might require a 9 strand pouch to be wide enough for a tennis ball size, but I'm not sure. Not having made a sling in this method before. If my hootchi cord tri-band rockman style sling is anything to go by, I would say 9 is a minimum for the width of the pouch What I want is a single cord for the retention and release. I have enough braided cord slings for now and I want to try a single cord.

Mick

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #419 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:54am

I find I can get away with a pretty narrow pouch using a tennis ball. A little but if cupping goes a long way:) and that way I don't feel like my sling is limited to large ammo.  That's just my two cents!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)