ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303241 times)
AlexZaamii
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Canada
Where Do I buy string?
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 11:28am

Hello,

I have been slinging for a few weeks and I want to upgrade from my cheap string (2mm thick) and cloth sling.

I have seen tutorials on how to make slings out of one long piece of string. Does anybody know where I could buy string?

Also, how thick should the string be? (I want to try making the one that has the string split in 2 to make a pouch, sorry don't know what it's actually called Embarrassed)

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Where Do I buy string?
Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 12:08pm

Most large department store have string as do most hobby/craft shops.  You can also use yarn.  Baling twine also works.  Commercial fishing and just plain fishing shops have twine, usually synthetic.  Military surplus stores have paracord.  

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 12:25pm

And don't forget that you can buy twine, para cord, and rope at hardware stores. Cord thickness depends a lot on how you make the sling. You're going to have to be more specific about what type of sling ou want to make.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Also at euro stores, or dollar stores in youre case, just got some very cheap cotton twine at one such store just today.

If you live near a farm you could get lots of free bailing twine.

Fabric stores, hardwares, building suppliers.

Or just harvest some hawthorn or rose bushes and make a bramble fibre sling!

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #19 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 2:07pm

At hobby lobby you can get some excellent jute cord.  I recently got some and love it.  It's a little thinner than macrame core, but not too thin.  And there is a LOT of it on a spool; I've made three slings out of it so far, and have hardly put a dent in the spool.  I HIGHLY suggest it.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 6:09pm

Michaels, Walmart, Kmart, several dollar stores, Pine Hill Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc.. even Shoprite.  Shop around.  There are lots of good places.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 12:59pm

also camping/outdoor stores and army surplus are great places for paracord.
And garden centres - green garden string is often jute Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

d010060002
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

kansas
Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 11:32am

I've been trying to make the T3 sling, and I'm rather confused. I made the single loop like it said in the tutorial. Then I western whipped up the side. However, now I'm left with 2 loops that I don't know what to do with. I have the loop that consists of three strands and will presumably turn into the pouch, and I a loop of 2 strands that is the rest of my rope from doing the whipping. I tried to weave with the loop, bu that doesn't look like what you did. Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear. I'll try for more clarification if you need.  

P.S. This isn't so important because I can't even get to this point, but when I tried to weave with the loop I got a flat pouch. Going over the string on one weave and then under it on the other caused it so stay flat. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again. You guys are great.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #23 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:50pm

Hold your horses, where'd you get a loop of two strands?

Try taking a long strand of cord, it should extend from finger tip to finger tip. Then tie a locked sheep shank in the center (it's okay if it's off, that's actually good).

West country whipping is the method that Rat Man and a few others use. It's a nice touch, but if it's getting in the way, then let it go.

So just tie a locked sheepshank in the middle.
Here's a tutorial: http://www.animatedknots.com/sheepshank/index.php?Categ=scouting&LogoImage=LogoG...

To 'lock' it, thread the running ends through the loops. Look at the final step, the loops on the sides are very clear.

Then weave a strand through it. Under, over, under over. Keep it as tight as possible

After that tie a loop on one end, and a stopper knot on the other.

~fini.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

d010060002
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

kansas
Reply #24 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:20am

Thanks for the reply

xxkid123 wrote on Aug 6th, 2012 at 3:50pm:
Hold your horses, where'd you get a loop of two strands?

I got the two strand loop from the leftover cord of the westcountry whipping.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1338672380/0#0

If you scroll down to 12 you should see that it looks like he's weaving with a loop rather than a strand. I can make the sling the other way pretty easily, but ratman posted that he found that this was a better way to make it.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #25 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 12:46pm

Hehe.

I'm in a hurry right now, but check this link out

It shows the weaving and pouch process a little better http://slinging.org/index.php?page=5-strand-woven-paracord-sling-tutorial---jeff...

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

HunterGatherer

Slinging Rocks!

Questions about technique.
Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:55pm

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my slinging. I prefer to sling with the helicopter technique, but my shots always shoot off to the left (I'm righthanded). When I use the underhand technique, my stone usually falls out. Any suggestions on how to fix these problems would be appreciated!

Also, a completely unrelated question: what are Aussie slings? A lot of people on here say there really good, but I can't find any tutorial on them. Do you buy them?

Thanks,

HunterGatherer.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Questions about technique.
Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 9:18pm

If my shots go left while using heliocopter, it is because I increase the speed as I throw to get a little extra force.  Except you shouldn't do that, you brain has made a calculation for one speed, you increase it as you throw, which makes your release late, which makes your shot go left.

Keep the same speed in your rotation, that should stop your left misses.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Always start out at a slower pace and work on technique before you add more power. Start with tennis balls when you are still working on your control. Safety first!  If your stones are falling out of the pouch, you are probably getting a bit of slack in you cords. It can happen if you don't maintain a smooth rotation in your throw. It may also me that your sling pouch is not quite centered. Put a ball in the pouch and hold it still, if the ball leans alittle to one side or the other it can easily fall out during your rotations.

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 10:56pm

HunterGatherer wrote on Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:55pm:
Also, a completely unrelated question: what are Aussie slings? A lot of people on here say there really good, but I can't find any tutorial on them. Do you buy them?

HunterGatherer.

Go to the trading post section and scroll down till you see the Aussie pouch thread.  It's pretty close to the top, and will explain everything.  

Brian

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)