Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 303258 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1020 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 7:15pm

All of this is good advice.  Also, it's a good idea to not throw with all your might.  One tends to tighten up when slinging at 100% power, decreasing accuracy.  Slinging at 80 or 85% of your full strength won't cost you all that much as far as range and hitting power but you'll be much more accurate.  Jaegoor is one of our most accurate slingers... possibly the most accurate.  Watch videos of him slinging... he's never straining.  Everything is smooth and easy.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1021 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 10:03pm

Captain_Twine wrote on Apr 23rd, 2020 at 3:02pm:
I'm assuming that using paracord would entail a different style of sling construction, right? (I'm used to braiding my own out of wool, twine, et cetera), but I'm supposing that paracord is a bit too thick for that kind of sling?

I've also been experimenting with braiding fibers taken from tree bark/roots that I've discovered outside into my own twine; I don't know how durable a sling made from this stuff will be, but making it been an interesting way to pass the time.

Some people will take the core out of the paracord and braid it that way. Technically there’s nothing stopping you from braided paracord but for me at least I do prefer something like an Apache sling with paracord and a leather pouch. There’s many examples of paracord slings and I’m guessing some time spent on the pictures of slings and slinging thread will give you multiple different styles worth trying. Definitely a good way to pass the quarantine away.  Smiley

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #1022 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 12:21pm

Thanks for all of the advice, guys; I really appreciate it. I'll keep all these points in mind next I practice!
Smiley

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1023 - May 2nd, 2020 at 8:46pm

It's a bit ludicrous how much more accurate you can become just by being pickier with your ammunition! Grin My practices have been steadily improving.

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1024 - May 3rd, 2020 at 12:30pm

It really makes a big difference. Jagged, uneven stones have a tendency to go fairly straight then suddenly veer off at strange angles.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1025 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:42pm

Possibly the biggest factor in slinging is good ammo. No amount of practice will ever make you consistently accurate if your ammo is low quality. That applies to every projectile weapon but especially the sling. It’s why I’m kind of a broken record on the subject.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1026 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:21pm

I've mentioned this many times before here. I'm very fortunate to live in an area, South Jersey, that is alluvial.  During the last ice age the ice sheet got as far as North Jersey but never made it to the south. When the glaciers retreated this part of the state was pretty much under water.  Consequently, we have abundant smooth, oval shaped white river stones here.  They're everywhere. 
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2020 at 2:48pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1027 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:44pm

Same with basically the whole of Finland. The entire area was under glaciers and when they retreated they left behind some giant erratics but also perfect sling ammo. Smooth rounded granite. I've yet to properly break a stone, chipped a few hitting other rocks, but never shattered one which happened constantly in Mallorca on the metal dianas with their much weaker stones.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1028 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:11pm

I'm a bit jealous, ha ha - A lot of the stones around me are rather jagged and/or flat; even when I search though creeks they're not exactly right. Usually I can find a pouch-full of good ones after a few minutes of foraging, though.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1029 - May 8th, 2020 at 3:52pm

Most of them are underground so it's not all perfect Cheesy The best spot I've found is Lauttasaari. It's an island that's part of Helsinki. There are some perfect beaches though with a lot of sea birds you have to look out for.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1030 - May 8th, 2020 at 6:32pm

So long as you have a bag of high quality concrete and some water you have all the perfect ammo you could ever want. My dream for years has been to make some sort of press where you pull a lever down and it forces concrete into a mold at high pressure. Just looking at the difference between poorly made concrete and Well made concrete ammo I imagine with something like that you could make fantastically durable ammo. Unfortunately that is above my pay grade.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1031 - May 9th, 2020 at 5:37pm

Morphy wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 6:32pm:
So long as you have a bag of high quality concrete and some water you have all the perfect ammo you could ever want. My dream for years has been to make some sort of press where you pull a lever down and it forces concrete into a mold at high pressure. Just looking at the difference between poorly made concrete and Well made concrete ammo I imagine with something like that you could make fantastically durable ammo. Unfortunately that is above my pay grade.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a lot of good ammunition at once using a rock tumbler? I'm not sure how expensive those are, though.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #1032 - May 12th, 2020 at 5:59am

Polly cheaper to just order a pile of rocks from a landscaper or quarry

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1033 - May 12th, 2020 at 3:14pm

I'm thinking of looking into that once corona has died down a bit. Finland has a lot of good slingstones but they aren't always that easy to get hold of and if I had more I wouldn't have to worry so much about finding them after slinging.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1034 - May 14th, 2020 at 6:48am

Captain_Twine wrote on May 9th, 2020 at 5:37pm:
Morphy wrote on May 8th, 2020 at 6:32pm:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a lot of good ammunition at once using a rock tumbler? I'm not sure how expensive those are, though.

I think the design is pretty simple and shouldn’t be super expensive to build one but not sure of the ongoing electric costs. The big thing I think would be the constant noise but all that aside I would be lying if I said I’ve never considered it. Stones really are the best reasonable ammunition for day to day throwing. Short of moving to a rock rich area that seems like one way to do it.

I’ve bought river stones before but usually the people around here don’t take kindly to you sifting their river stone pile for an hour looking for perfect stones only to leave with $10 worth.  Grin

Honestly Cap. I think at this point I’m just looking for someone else to do tumbler first. If it works I’m guessing It would just be a matter of time before one showed up on my property.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris)