Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 302561 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Reply #1005 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 2:19pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:15am:
there used to be a page where some distances by members was recorded, is this page still somewhere???

There you go: http://web.archive.org/web/20130115101218/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=sli...
You might have to scroll a bit in time to get the most recent one before the page went down.

IP Logged

Lámhfada
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1006 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 9:09pm

Which of these techniques should I start with as a beginner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwRKxTziHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kdRs4x1fs

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #1007 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 12:20am

My advice would be to do what feels natural to you.

Anecdote time.  A long time ago when I first tried to sling, I started with an overhand throw.  That was just the way I envisioned it should be done.  I was absolutely terrible.  90% (if not more) of my throws were way too high, or straight in to the ground.  I did about 4 or 5 sessions with of that and quit.

It was years later before I tried slinging again.  I was just circumstance, but I have a few apple trees in the yard where I live now.  I was throwing some apples (rotten, bug eaten, etc.) out into the surrounding trees and brush, and had the thought I should try my old sling.  This time I used an overhead rotation and a sidearm throw.  It was just what I did naturally at that time.  And it worked!  Don't get me wrong, I still wasn't good.  But it was way better than what I had done before, so I kept doing it.  And that's how I ended up here. Wink

Try a variety of techniques and work with what feels natural to you.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1008 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 3:39am

The first style I started with was helicopter and it was only 2 weeks ago on the last day of the Mallorcan competition that I realised I am actually most accurate with Greek style. Keep experimenting. Think about how your body moves and bio-mechanics. Find some of the really good slingers on YouTube and try and copy their movements. I would always say take it slow to begin with. Practicing with an empty sling is a good idea just to get the basic movements down.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1009 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 9:35am

My first two months of slinging I used Apache Style. I found it the easiest.  Of course Apache has it's limitations.  It's not the most accurate or powerful style. Currently my most accurate style is Underarm.  I get the most distance and power from Balearic. I agree with Joe.  Everyone is different. Do what feels the most natural to you.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #1010 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 11:14am

Lámhfada wrote on Mar 11th, 2020 at 9:09pm:
Which of these techniques should I start with as a beginner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwRKxTziHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6kdRs4x1fs

Most start with some form of underhand throw. I started with sort of sidearm/balaeric. Greek, helicopter and byzantine styles are good for beginning too.

Of the two videos you link the second guy is much better at slinging and I would try to emulate his style much more, he has good form on all the techniques.

Some of the techniques in the first video are a bit off. I don't mean to rubbish the guy but you probably don't want to be copying that form as a beginner. The figure 8 in my view is completely incorrect. When you get round to learning that search out the Brian Grubbs video, it's one of the best tutorials out there.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2020 at 8:35pm by JudoP »  

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #1011 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 8:16pm

mine isnt as exquisite as many of yours but its functional and is very safe as in its like 1 in 10,000 shots i get a misfire or where it could go behind
Leather with hemp string 

"Jerzy Gasperowicz      2006            Bipointed, lead            Sidearm            505m"  Wait WHAT

Also i am wondering what is the bonus of having heavy thick strings that are shorter does it improve accuracy?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2020 at 7:20am by darksidedsam »  

my_sling_001.jpg (379 KB | 45 )
my_sling_001.jpg

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #1012 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 6:36pm

Hey everyone, I'm a new member here! I've been slinging for a little while, and while I can usually find some time to practice during the week I'm not always able to do so consistently. I realize now after some reading on the forum and personal experience that slinging is a highly personal sport, but on the principle of "It isn't practice until you do it right," is there any tips anyone could share on form or consistency?

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1013 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:56pm

ammo should be very close to the same weight. Same shape also helps  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #1014 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 4:33am

Sticking with one style and one sling and practicing it consistently is the best way. I say this, but I often switch style and have slings of every style, length and pouch shape which I also switch between Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1015 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 12:09pm

walter wrote on Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:56pm:
ammo should be very close to the same weight. Same shape also helps  Wink

Kick wrote on Apr 21st, 2020 at 4:33am:
Sticking with one style and one sling and practicing it consistently is the best way.

Cool, thank you all! I'll keep those in mind. I'm not usually able to recover my projectiles (I just chuck them into the woods, never to be found again Grin) but I currently have a stash of relatively similar-sized and -shaped clay disc projectiles, which should last me a little while longer (I hope!) I don't know if they're the best shape for slinging either lol.

As for style, I've been going with somewhat of a straight overhand, going from behind me over my head - I'm getting better at it, but I haven't been able to get too much range however. I have a suspicion that it has to do my sling - The cord is rather thick compared to photos of slings I've seen on the forum (Mine is around 1/2" thick at the split braid pouch.) Can the extra contact area in this case create more friction, and affect the projectile's flight? I've read stuff on the forum that seemed to indicate that this sort of thing can happen.

Thanks again for your help!

Captain_Twine

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #1016 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 6:47pm

It can but technique can overcome a lot.
Keep practicing, try lots of styles and you will find one that suits you best

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1017 - Apr 21st, 2020 at 8:51pm

I see - Thanks for the advice, I'll keep working on it!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #1018 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 9:48am

You might like a little thinner cord. Half an inch is not too big but I would say it’s on the upper limit of what most people like. It’s fairly common to see thick wool slings and they are fairly popular among slingers. Paracord would be worth a try if you haven’t tried it yet. It’s cheap, durable and has a great feel during the throw.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #1019 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 3:02pm

I'm assuming that using paracord would entail a different style of sling construction, right? (I'm used to braiding my own out of wool, twine, et cetera), but I'm supposing that paracord is a bit too thick for that kind of sling?

I've also been experimenting with braiding fibers taken from tree bark/roots that I've discovered outside into my own twine; I don't know how durable a sling made from this stuff will be, but making it been an interesting way to pass the time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)