Send Topic Print
ASK QUESTIONS HERE (Read 302564 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
ASK QUESTIONS HERE
Jul 6th, 2012 at 6:34pm

Saying 'what kind of idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring than telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time.

Here's a thread to ask any kind of slinging related question. It can involve sling making, throwing, finding materials, etc. If the answer is out there and you can't find a thread about it, someone will be happy to answer your question on here. Smiley The purpose is to cut down on the number of duplicate threads on the forum by concentrating thre questions that don't involve discussion or debate into one place. Go on, be one of today's lucky few. Cheesy Before you ask, check to see if there is already an answer here.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2013 at 4:40pm by Masiakasaurus »  

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Gslinger5
Tiro

Amateur

Puerto Rico
Re: Now Taking Questions
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 1:44am

Well, this is a small question. It is related to slinging in some way, but somewhere along the lines of general knowledge as well. I was wondering, how the heck do I go about making that "round braid" explained on this How-to article? I've been having some trouble doing it and if someone can find a video on the internet about doing it, I'd be most grateful. I've tried Googling it, but nothing came around for 3-strand braiding, only 4-strand. Anyway, just wondering that...I'll await your answers.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 7:34pm

That's a tricky one, but chances are you are getting the 'round braid'. Note that you technically can't make a 'round braid' with a three strand braid. What you can do is make one braid rounder, and another one thin and flat.

I think it's easier to explain how to do a flat braid first, since it's a lot more obvious. The best way to learn this is to use something flat, like a ribbon, and tie a three strand braid. When you're doing it, your goal is to keep all ribbons as flat as possible. You'll find that the tighter you pull, the less flat it is. It might look like this

You can see how all the cords are just warped and shifted sideways, rather than tightly braided together. When braiding, you should be moving the outside strand in by sliding it sideways and keeping everything flat- no folds.

On the other hand, a round braid can be much tighter, and when braiding it should be up, bend/fold in.

I feel like this is very confusing, and I'll try to get a video up sometime.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:45pm

What's a sling? Is it that type of informal relationship that's longer than a one-night stand?  Undecided

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 2:05pm

Donnerschlag wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:45pm:
What's a sling? Is it that type of informal relationship that's longer than a one-night stand?  Undecided

No, it's a wide strap used to hold a gun to a baby and throw them both for long distances. Tongue

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2012 at 3:07am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 2:05pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Jul 12th, 2012 at 1:45pm:
What's a sling? Is it that type of informal relationship that's longer than a one-night stand?  Undecided

No, it's a wide strap used to hold a gun to a baby and throw them both for long distances. Tongue

I just tried it, and it didn't work. You owe me a new CX4. Tongue

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

wll

Slinging Rocks!

Los Angeles, CA
Please excuse my stupity but what is a TSS Sling ?
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:13am

I have gone on line and have found nothing, except the one guy who used one, but he does not explain what it is.

The Only TSS is a sling for shotguns called "Total Shotgun Sling", and that is not what you guys are talking about.

wll

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Re: Please excuse my stupity but what is a TSS Sli
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:53am

Simple as that...Three Strand Sheepshank sling

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 12:05pm

Dilyan's got it, TS3 or TSS is an abbreviation for a three strand sheep shank sling. Instructions can be found in the FAQ's. The Beginners Thread in the FAQ's has a glossary of slinging terms.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Please excuse my stupity but what is a TSS Sli
Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 2:23pm

wll wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 11:13am:
I have gone on line and have found nothing, except the one guy who used one, but he does not explain what it is.

The Only TSS is a sling for shotguns called "Total Shotgun Sling", and that is not what you guys are talking about.

wll

This will help:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251648259/0#0

IP Logged

namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Question on asymmetric construction
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:08pm

Since I don't know a name for this I could not search it, but by observation I see that many slings seem to be made with an extra wrap or whip or whatever another name might be on only one side of the pouch.  I haven't checked dozens but the 10 or so examples I found all seem to have this extra wrap on the release string side rather than on the fixed or loop end string side.  If I've described this well enough could someone explain why the asymmetry and, if it is important, why it does not show up on most all slings?

Thanks,
-namuh1

PS Thanks to Peaceful Jeffrey for the paracord sling design.  I've made one and it works quite well considering my newbie skill level.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Re: Question on asymmetric construction
Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:23pm

That part of the sling wears the most so it acts as a protection.Some people do it,some don't.If you have cords that wear quick,and\or use stones that very abrasive and\or angular it's very useful to have some leather sewn unto the release cords 4-5 inches.It extends the release cords life by much.
I don't think we have a special name for that.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

namuh1
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:27pm

Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

-namuh1

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:52pm

It's called whipping. Like jlasud said, it's to prevent abrasion wherever it's applied. The section of the release cord receives a lot of wear from stones leaving the pouch so people frequently whip that area of their slings.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:39pm

namuh1 wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:08pm:
Since I don't know a name for this I could not search it, but by observation I see that many slings seem to be made with an extra wrap or whip or whatever another name might be on only one side of the pouch.  I haven't checked dozens but the 10 or so examples I found all seem to have this extra wrap on the release string side rather than on the fixed or loop end string side.  If I've described this well enough could someone explain why the asymmetry and, if it is important, why it does not show up on most all slings?

Thanks,
-namuh1

PS Thanks to Peaceful Jeffrey for the paracord sling design.  I've made one and it works quite well considering my newbie skill level.

As the other guy said, it can help with longevity. If you make a 'simple braided sling' type finger loop with the 'folded over' cord and you have a leather pouch with holes. I will usually pull the cord through a bit and whip it rather than tie a knot at the pouch/cord transition. I prefer to whip with simple paracord/leather slings as well.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 93
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man)