Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pipe Smoking (Read 12876 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Pipe Smoking
Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:55pm

Does anyone here smoke tobacco in a pipe?  I have been making replicas of some of the NA pipes found at Moundville and I don't really know what to do with the finished pipe.  These are just the bowl, they will need a stem of some kind.  And I don't know if they actually smoked them or if they were high status items to be used in the next world.  The clay may crack when you fire it, some of the examples are missing part or all of the bowl.  If you are a reenactor from the correct period, mid 1500's on, it would be period correct.  Right now, I have 4, if you are interested, just say so.  I will be making some more, probably next week.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Re: Pipe Smoking
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:58pm

I might be interested. A picture would be nice if you can post one.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:25am

Send me an address in a PM and I will try to get it in the mail on Monday or Tuesday when I go to town.  Are you going to actually smoke it or get it cause it's cool?  I blackened a couple, I don't know what will happen to the blacking if you light it.  You blacken pottery by taking the red hot item and put it in a pot lined with green leaves and then put a lid on it to keep it from catching on fire.  The pottery absorbs the carbon in the smoke and turns black.  If it comes in contact with a fire, it can burn the black off.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:11am

You can use the stems from smaller corn stalks as a pipe stem. They work quite well and are authentic.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:28am

The branches of Sambucus Nigra make the best pipe stems ever imo.I use one,about 11" long,cools down the smoke,looks good.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:58pm

I like biting the ends off of a twizzler (strawberry licorice) and using that. Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 5:16am

Donnerschlag wrote on Jul 16th, 2012 at 7:58pm:
I like biting the ends off of a twizzler (strawberry licorice) and using that. Wink

Too sticky! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 11:44am

I made a couple of stems from wood.  It had a pith, I bored it out with a bamboo skewer and a little sand.  I had cut this tree back in October, I used part of the tree for a handle for a stone ax, the rest I just put in the shed to dry.  The pith had shrunk, all I had to do is clean it out.  Then start to whittle.  One pipe head I glued on with hide glue, my brother got that one, the second I am still working on.  Still got a couple left.

BK, all the corn stalks I have seen are full of pith and are pretty fragile, are you sure they weren't cane or bamboo?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 9:05pm

There are often smaller stalks on the corn plant that don't produce corn. Wait until the stalks dry out and you should have an easier time finding some the right size.

John Walker  
IP Logged

towelie
Tiro

Stercus Accidit!

Vienna, Va
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 3:54pm

I smoke a tobacco pipe and have made one of my own in the style of a corn cob, but made entirely from drilled out wood. If I were you, if you haven't already found a solution, I would get a large wooden dowel and find a place that does wood working (whatever it may be, because Home Depot used to do this but no longer does) and has a drill press and a lathe. Make sure the dowel is as large as the outside diameter of the pipe's stem hole, then have the wood worker use the lathe to shape one end to fit inside the pipe's stem hole, then drill through the length of the dowel to make it usable as a stem. Shape the mouth piece as you will and don't worry about the little fibers left over as they will burn off eventually from the heat of the smoke.

Tu es gausapinam!

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:24pm

Any hardwood will work for a stem, just find something that grows as a shoot and has a small pithy core, ash, maple, etc. all have a narrow pithy core you can burn or push out, elder is also a wood that was historically used on indian pipes, make sure you dry it before you put your lips too it, it is mildly poisonous before it is dried, I tried it once and it made my lips burn just very slightly.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 4:57am

towelie wrote on Oct 7th, 2012 at 3:54pm:
I smoke a tobacco pipe and have made one of my own in the style of a corn cob, but made entirely from drilled out wood. If I were you, if you haven't already found a solution, I would get a large wooden dowel and find a place that does wood working (whatever it may be, because Home Depot used to do this but no longer does) and has a drill press and a lathe. Make sure the dowel is as large as the outside diameter of the pipe's stem hole, then have the wood worker use the lathe to shape one end to fit inside the pipe's stem hole, then drill through the length of the dowel to make it usable as a stem. Shape the mouth piece as you will and don't worry about the little fibers left over as they will burn off eventually from the heat of the smoke.

Welp, I'm gonna necro this thread because that's what we do on the Trading Post board. 
You don't need a lathe to do that.  I've bored out plenty of stock with just a drill press or hand tools.  It won't look so pretty, but it'll be more "authentic."  You can also split a small branch, scrape out a channel on both sides and glue it back together.  I did that on a pipe once.
Bill, what were you making those bowls out of?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:18pm

The bowls are fired clay.  If, when I make a pot, I have clay left over, I usually make it into a pipe bowl that is similar to one of the pipe bowls displayed in the museum in Moundville.  I have also made them by pecking and grinding siltstone and by carving and then firing floatstone.  After I make them, I just usually give them away, usually to reenactors at some of the events I go to.  Lately, I have just been boring out the center of a piece of ash and just giving it with the bowl to somebody.  If they want a finished pipe, they have to whittle out the stem.  A lot of the reactors like that, it gives them something to do between the groups that is period, they can set everything down and give their presentation and then pick it back up when the group leaves.

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:16pm

What could I do to get my hands on one of those bowls? Any trade-type item you might like?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 7:52pm

I'll have to make some more, I just gave the last one away.  I'll make some tonight, let them dry for a couple of days, then put them in the oven overnight and then fire them the next day.  Due to all the rain recently, that firing will probably be in a kiln, is that OK?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)