Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Making a Cestros sling (Read 18458 times)
teenageslinger

Michigander Slinger

Michigan, United States
Re: Making a Cestros sling
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:18pm

I get it finally.

DERP Tongue

He holds success in store for the upright,&&    he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,&&Proverbs 2:7

IP Logged

legos896
Novicius

Let the rocks fly! THUMP!

CrystalLake IL
Reply #16 - May 9th, 2014 at 6:01pm

why cant i see any of the pictures that are so posed to be their?

... Awkward sclience...

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #17 - May 9th, 2014 at 8:11pm

they may not work.
EDIT-go to user CP, and then go to options, then change the forum template to 'old yabb 2.1 style - modded" and that should fix your problem.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:40am

i have been making arrows out of home depot rivercane for the last two weeks (and shattering them on cinder blocks n my backyard, INADVERTENTLY, causing many storms of cusswords and stomping around the yard lol) and i have wanted to build and use one of these since i discovered it those 7 years ago or whatever. afraid to loose the battle to an arrow, i had never made the attempt; your golfball arrow solution is ingenious and i will mimic it for my kestrophendone if ever i get around to building one! excellent tutorial and explanation of the workings

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:07pm

Either I found then forgot about this post or I missed it entirely. I've been planning on a cestrus/kestros/cestrophendone for ages and have made one (only the sling part, no darts so not much use Cheesy ) but in this style:

https://www.google.fi/search?q=kestros&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3mJ...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 7:02am

Es gibt bessere und einfachere Methoden.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #21 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:06am

I have made two of these in the past gave one as a gift but never made the darts or arrows to go with it

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 1:20pm

Well I had time today so made two Cheesy One I made braiding jute (should really have twisted it as the flat braid I did did caused a bit of trouble with the knots but seems to have sorted itself out now) and one from paracord. The jute one took a LONG time to braid and then carve and sand the peg. The paracord one took 30 seconds and then half an hour to do the peg so I should have started with paracord. Jute one does look nicer though. I only have the one "dart" but it's just a pointy piece of pretty crappy wood with a cut out on one end. It's very thick, hence the deep cut out but I think it would work ok for practicing. I'm thinking of using a replacement broom handle to make more darts. I think I can get three shafts from the one handle and it looks to be a good thickness. Haven't thought about flights yet but I'll get to that later. I'll brave the cold some day soon and see how they do Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:59am by Kick »  

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 12:36pm

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:17pm

Unless I am sorely mistaken, we are about to find out why lawn darts are banned in the US.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:40pm

I'm sure I won't hit anyone and if I do... Finland has many deep forests...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:07pm

Well I've made my first darts. They aren't pretty and they don't actually have tips but I think they should work out ok. They're made from a broom handle cut into 4 with m24 hex nuts screwed on and duct tape fletchings. I did consider adding some large nails for tips but thought it best I get the hang of it without them to start with. I don't even have my ears pierced so I would rather not pierce any part of me with these... The fletchings were SO hard to get right, I wasted a lot of duct tape and they still didn't turn out as well as I would like. I really hope they're large enough to work. Tomorrow I'm going to take them out the field to see how they do. I won't be able to film it but eventually I'll try and film some practice.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:15am

First test. The slings themselves work really well. Don't think I even need to adjust them. The darts worked surprisingly well as well. They would need more weight at the front which is fine because I was planning on attaching nail spikes anyway and the fletchings need improving (which isn't a surprise). They also travelled through the fig 8 wind-up very well as can seen in the video. Overall very successful and very happy. Now just to add those spikes...

https://youtu.be/nFrh_HEd9WE

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #28 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:50pm

That's the system I prefer. I called it Yureks Kestro, but it is so versatile it deserves to be called a polyphendon.

This post makes me want to make a new one: Mine is particulary short.

as for kestros themseves (By kestro I mean darts, Phendon should mean Funda) I will try to make lighter ones a soon as possible.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #29 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 1:03pm

I've found it works really well. I would be out there practising with it now if it hadn't been raining and miserable for the past two days...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)