Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Roman+Balearic slinger vs Dacian+Sarmatian Battle (Read 33134 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Roman+Balearic slinger vs Dacian+Sarmatian Bat
Reply #75 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:15pm

mauro, ikea war ein scherz. Tongue der kleine rundschild ist in dieser  form ok. Das schwert ist nordisch um etwa 1000. Und passt nicht ganz. Ilja sein schwert ist eher keltisch und passt in dieser form etwas besser.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #76 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 3:43pm

Hallo!
Ihre Waffen sind interessant und gut gemacht, aber sind nicht relevant zu diesem Thema (Bericht über eine Re-Inszenierung), noch die Zeit (Römischen Reiches).
Aber Ich glaube, dass Ihre Rekonstruktionen ihren eigenen Raum verdient, dafür bitte ich Sie um eine erstelle  Smiley
Danke!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #77 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:19pm

sorry mauro. Warum ist der schild nicht relevant. Diese form wurde oft von auxilar truppen verwendete.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #78 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 11:08am

I'm with Mauro here (mildly) the topic is C2nd-3rd centuries AD reenacting. Jaegoor's kit is very nice, but not a reason to show it off all the time, since his reenacting focus is C10th AD. If Jaegoor wants to stay on topic, he can delete the pic of his his teacosy-pommel sword, and keep his shield, while giving relevant info.

More important is the question of shield weight. Reenacting kit is usually much too heavy in relation to the real stuff: swords being blunt are too heavy and unbalanced; I think this also holds true for shields. The reasons are safety (bluntness of swords), and need for durability (the kit has to last through several sessions, especially shields). Thus real mediaeval swords are light (under a kilo one handed, 1.3-5 kgs for "longsword"), Gladii are probably in the 700 g range. And so on. Does this hold true for real shields ?

3 kilos for a small shield seems very heavy to me (though Peter Connolly's reconstructions of Roman Republican shields reach the weight of 8 kilos !)

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #79 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:21pm

That's exactly what I tried to explain to Jaegoor, thanks Thearos  Smiley

Your discussion about shields and swords weights made me wonder how much does my Iron Age sword weights; I already know it's supersized compared to the originals, because I'm probably bigger than my ancestors who used them - which does not mean I'm stronger, it's just a matter of proportions. But now I'm going to weigh it, even because it's sharpened and weight was one of its advantages while facing contemporary bronze sword.
Thanks Thearos, it will be a nice addition to the article I'm writing  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #80 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 4:57am

As I was looking forward to this opportunity,and others here,suggested it too,not long ago,at the last reenactement,i was at,members from a Hungarian reenactment group brought one of their battered shield and ask me to sling at  Cheesy
So i slung about 10 stones from about 15m at it, till i got it with a 210g quartz stone. Before this i was slinging lightweight safety ammo at the dacians so,i had to readjust to heavy stones.
The shield was 8-10mm plywood(have to ask) and held up only with a thin stick.The sling was 90cm long.
With a long sling,pro slinger,and oval shaped stone a very similar damage could be produced at long ranges(~150m)
The shield is more or less like the originals in it's caracteristics IMO.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #81 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 5:00am

The stone originally bounced off,and the shield fell .

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #82 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 5:02am

It would pretty much stop a sling stone,even it it would pass,it would have very little power. But it would leave a big hole. A "fortunate"spear thrust could pass trough the hole afterwards.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #83 - Oct 1st, 2012 at 9:24am

That is very interesting.  There wouldn't be just one person slinging, if the Romans didn't charge or have their own screen of slingers or archers, they could take a lot of damage.  I didn't say causalities, but with their equiptment battered by slingers, when they did close, their equiptment would not be able to stand up to combat as long as it should.  So, while the slingers probably could not make them retreat or break, they could be a major reason why one force wins or loses, and they probably wouldn't get much credit, either.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #84 - Oct 2nd, 2012 at 2:12pm

Yes,Bill that's what i tried to point to,briefly with the spear through the hole. Having a shield with say 5 holes in it would decrease your protection considerably. And even in a testudo formation there would be a few injuries and deaths too. Remembering that ~400g stones were used sometimes.  But a surprise hail of stones would put a helluva  beating on a engaged unit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)